Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Morgans/VAMS.....what to look for?

It seems like VAMs are a hot topic these days. So, when looking at a Morgan for the first time, what should one look for first to determine if it might be a VAM? Just curious if there was anything to check out first. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Chaz

Proud recipient of Y.S. Award on 07/26/08.

Comments

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Start here LINK
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i>Start here LINK >>

I have been there, but it is quite a challenge to remember minute details of each VAM. Wasnt sure if there were certain things to look for first. image
    Chaz

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    What a broad question. You cannot be expected to remember 6,000 vams, nor should you or anyone else. You have to pick a few to memorize and start looking, then
    repeat the process. It's how we all do it.

Start with the Top 100

I'll add a hint here. Don't start looking to cherrypick a Scarface for example (although we'd all love to do that, but it's just not realistic), just look for something
    "do-able", like an 1879-S Rev 78 coin...or an 1887-P VAM-12 "Alligator Eye". You can also probably find 1888-O Oval O's pretty quickly, even in low grades. So start with 2 or 3, then move up.
  • Options
    I had no idea this was a VAM until some folks on here told me so. Just trying to educate myself a little bit more with the VAMS now.

Chaz

• Options
    Starting with the Top 100's is a very good idea, then there's the Hot 50 and the new Hit list 40. Please note that all Morgan and Peace $'s can be attributed to a VAM #; in Peace $'s look for the Top 50. Congrats again on your Top 100 1878 VAM-5, that was a great way to start.
    John G Bradley II
  • Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭
    A link to an older thread in which I asked somewhat the same question back when I started VAM hunting. There are some good decent answers in it.

link
    I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options
    Thank you all. The link is not working for me, but I think it might be my damn puter!
    Chaz

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file