Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2008 Proof Sets in Gold?

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
Why not issue 2008 proof sets struck in gold? The Mint already does silver sets, so gold should be viable.

If it were up to me, the mintage would be fixed at 1000 and coins would be sold by lottery, with one application per family.

Assuming a mintage of 1000 sets, how high do you think the Mint can price the sets and be reasonably sure of a sell out?

If the sets sell out, the fixed mintage can be raised the next year without reducing the offering price. It would be cool to see mintages rise each year. It would almost guaranty the appreciation of earlier sets.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    I don't think our minor coinage was ever struck in gold. The dime, quarter, and half used to be struck in silver, which is why they offer silver versions to collectors today.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would line up immediately to buy such a set.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    offering of any such limited set should be by "years on the mint mailing list"

many of you probably have me beat.....

• Options
    If it were up to me, the mintage would be fixed at 1000 and coins would be sold by lottery, with one application per family.

Should be FREE if you have to win a lottery to be able to get one.
    (Old man) Look I had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, “That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah”.

(Priest) BLASPHEMY he said it again, did you hear him?
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mint would probably make more money on them if they just made the lottery tickets sell at a buck each. And as you said only mint 1000 sets.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that is an idea with potential... I like the parameters Andy outlined... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I like this idea a lot more than the other stuff the mint is cranking out these days.
  • Options

<< <i>The Mint would probably make more money on them if they just made the lottery tickets sell at a buck each. And as you said only mint 1000 sets.
    image >>

SCRATCHIES, Where can I get some?????????????????????

The GRAND prize = the gold full proof sets

Top level PROOF (Second level uncirc gold)
    second place = 1 oz gold coins (ticket says which coin)
    1/2 oz
    1/4 oz
    1/10 oz

Third level
    first place = silver sets
    second place = clad sets
    third place = other reg. mint products.
    FREE TICKET, tickets

imageimageimageimageimage

PS.
    Edited prize list.
    (Old man) Look I had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, “That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah”.

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Imagine the fraud on this.

It's easy to gold plate something

+

A basement slabber

=

A hard to weigh, high grade, "gold" proof set coin.

As far as the original idea...
    I guess it would appeal to some folks and it seems like the mint could slip that into the die production schedule easily enough.

Dansco would have to issue gold pages or new albums or something.

So many ripples a change like this would have!

I think i'd stick to the larger chunks.

• Options

<< <i>Imagine the fraud on this.

It's easy to gold plate something

+

A basement slabber

=

A hard to weigh, high grade, "gold" proof set coin.

As far as the original idea...
    I guess it would appeal to some folks and it seems like the mint could slip that into the die production schedule easily enough.

Dansco would have to issue gold pages or new albums or something.

So many ripples a change like this would have!

I think i'd stick to the larger chunks. >>

Make them SEALED sets. Impossible to remove without destroying the package. Removing the coins from the OMP would drop them to MELT value.

• Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    This thread made me think of the V nickel without "cents"
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why not issue 2008 proof sets struck in gold? The Mint already does silver sets, so gold should be viable.

Assuming a mintage of 1000 sets, how high do you think the Mint can price the sets and be reasonably sure of a sell out?

If the sets sell out, the fixed mintage can be raised the next year without reducing the offering price. It would be cool to see mintages rise each year. It would almost guaranty the appreciation of earlier sets. >>

Is it 1870 again?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Good idea.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file