Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

These remarks sound stupid!

al410al410 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭✭
Why would an experienced ebay seller make a remark like this when sending it in for the 1 grade bump would double the value? If he believed his own words he would send it in.
"As many of you know these coins in these holders are often conservatively graded. I believe this to be true for this beauty also, I have seen far worse coins in 65 holders"
This coin is in a old anacs holder 64 holder, to me making a statement like that is to lure in the novice or new collector.
I won't post the ebay listing as the seller is a member here.

AL

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Salesmanship... nothing wrong with trying to sell a product... just check out ads on TV and in print... they all (most) oversell... when was the last time you went to a car dealership (yik).... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Is a Dealers claim of Coins as an "investment" any more legit?

How about a Coin being sold for a hefty premium simply because it's in a "doily" holder?
  • Options
    al410al410 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭✭
    Salesmanship?ok, but alluding there is a good chance a coin will upgrade and that upgrade in price guides would double the value, well to me that makes the seller look stupid, why would'nt he send it in himself? Those kind of sellers are what hurt the hobby.

AL
  • Options
    Maybe he just feels it's very nice for the grade and deserves a bean?
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hype. So what else is new?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ram1946ram1946 Posts: 762 ✭✭
    This is a pet peeve of mine. I have written to different sellers many times asking "if the coin is undergraded and the value of the next tick up is 2x or 3x more, why don't you invest the $30-$50 and take the bump yourself". It's amazing the answers I get (and I'm sure immediate entry into their restricted biders list!).

• Options
    It's probably true that he's seen worse in 65 holders. There seems to be a good supply of overgraded coins out there.

My opinion though is to really let the photos do the talking. Often times there really are undergraded coins out there--sometimes the seller doesn't even know it.
  • Options

<< <i>This is a pet peeve of mine. I have written to different sellers many times asking "if the coin is undergraded and the value of the next tick up is 2x or 3x more, why don't you invest the $30-$50 and take the bump yourself". It's amazing the answers I get (and I'm sure immediate entry into their restricted biders list!). >>

I sell a lot of OGH coins which are legitimately PQ, and I get this type question every once in a while. The truth is, it's a lot easier to be able to consistently get premiums for PQ coins in old green holders than to gamble and try to get an upgrade. I've sold coins before that I was 99% sure would upgrade, but would rather get a modest premium than gamble and go for a big one.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I sell a lot of OGH coins which are legitimately PQ, and I get this type question every once in a while. The truth is, it's a lot easier to be able to consistently get premiums for PQ coins in old green holders than to gamble and try to get an upgrade. I've sold coins before that I was 99% sure would upgrade, but would rather get a modest premium than gamble and go for a big one. >>

Not to mention taking the fast, modest premium to avoid the added expense, time, and hassle of sending them back in.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file