Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OT:Good Luck to all Gulf Coast residents

Just got home from work, 3:30 am here
watching a bit of CNN, the news does not look good for New Orleans

I know many of you live around the Gulf Coast, my prayers and well wishes go out to all of you.
Katrina hit only 3 years ago, and the memory is still fresh, yes even for this Canadian who followed the events closely.

I certainly hope all of you, who are members here, and read these boards stay safe, along with your families and friends.
If you can get out of the way, then do so, and be safe.

Good luck, and God Bless

Comments

• Options
    I second that. This one is supposed to by worse than Katrina. LEAVE NO NOW
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    I feel bad for the people that can't afford to leave or don't want to leave their homes. By all accounts this sounds like it could be one of the worst storms ever.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    I will echo these sentiments.

May you and your family remain safe.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    My thoughts and prayers go out to all of the people down there.
    Brian
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hoping everything can go as well as possible in a bad situation there. At least the government response should be much quicker and better than it was with Katrina.
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Good luck to all on the gulf coast.
    Can someone tell me are they rebuilding in New Orleans where the flooding was so bad or did they move further back. I know this was an issue after the clean up.
  • Options
    I live in Shreveport in the Northwest corner of Louisiana and our weather forecast says to expect 8-16 inches of rain Mondat night and Tuesday and I live in a flood zone. I was going to mow the yard today but I think I will leave it alone. Maybe it can slow some of the water.
  • Options

<< <i>Can someone tell me are they rebuilding in New Orleans where the flooding was so bad or did they move further back. I know this was an issue after the clean up. >>

I was in NO in January and there are still large subdivisions that are completely empty. NO's current population is only 2/3 of what it was prior to Katrina.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I lived in New Orleans for a year back in 2000 and recently went to visit last New Years. I was amazed at how well they recovered from Katrina- it was almost like nothing had happened in terms of the way the city looks. I'm sure they will be more prepared this time and people will get out before the damage is done. Good luck to everybody down there.
  • Options
    Thoughts and prayers are with the people down there. Just remeber your well-being and family are more important than any material possession (inlcuding card collections).

J
  • Options
    I have to travel to Alabama this week for a business meeting. I think I'll miss the worst of it but it ought to be interesting.
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    My thoughts and prayers also go out to each one of you who are in the path of the Hurricane. Stay Safe Guys!
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    good luck guys!!!!!!they would only have to tell me once to get out,i see they got busses and stuff on tv taking people out now, glad i live in mtns - nothing happens here, 3-4 people drive down a dirt roadby my property a day at the most,son lives in town, too many people, not for me, im a hermitimage
  • Options
    All our schools are closed until Thursday for now. State is using the school buses to transport evacuees and some schools have been designated as shelters.
  • Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    My thoughts and prayers are with those who are in harm's way. Be safe and smart.
  • Options
    Good luck to everybody!

I'm sure the storm is pretty bad but I think its not as bad as the news is making it sound, or at least I hope its not. I think when the news has nothing better to put on tv they try to scare people or feed to the people who like to watch disasters.

I think people should get off their butts and help out however they can. You can donate money to your local red cross or take in a family thats in need or whatever you can do, I sure would want somebody to do something like that for my family and me, so I would help anyway I can. Of course they only thing I can do right now is donate some money, but if I lived close enough and didn't have a family I would go help out in a second.

Alright, good luck to everybody and hope the news is just over reacting on the whole thing.

HK
  • Options

<< <i>Good luck to everybody!

I'm sure the storm is pretty bad but I think its not as bad as the news is making it sound, or at least I hope its not. I think when the news has nothing better to put on tv they try to scare people or feed to the people who like to watch disasters.

I think people should get off their butts and help out however they can. You can donate money to your local red cross or take in a family thats in need or whatever you can do, I sure would want somebody to do something like that for my family and me, so I would help anyway I can. Of course they only thing I can do right now is donate some money, but if I lived close enough and didn't have a family I would go help out in a second.

Alright, good luck to everybody and hope the news is just over reacting on the whole thing.

HK >>

I don't want to debate whether or not the news is making it worse than it is
    But I do not think this is the case here, FEMA, the Governors, the Mayor of New Orleans, Government officials, are all stressing how dangerous this storm is.

New Orleans is now a ghost town, they are taking this very seriously. I don't think they are making this up. If people need to be scared out of their shoes to get off their butts and get moving, so be it, sometimes they need to be shoved into doing something, passive asking doesn't work.

I am glad to see that my government has sent military aircraft to help in the air missions to evacuate. C-17

Again, Good Luck,
    all we can do at this point is hope and pray, and then step up and help later when it is needed.
  • Options
    I think its great what their doing, no doubt about it. And yes its always good to be safer than sorry so I guess to make them scared is the best way sometimes.

Good luck!

HK
  • Options
    Right now they are saying when it reaches the Shreveport area and possibly the Texarkana area it could be as strong as a Cat 1 still.
  • Options
    Good luck to the folks down there. Hope everyone gets through it ok.
    Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky
  • Options
    LSU, you got your boat ready?

Looks like it is going to stall out around the Mt Pleasent Texas area and dump 15 to 20 inches of rain on us.
  • Options

<< <i>LSU, you got your boat ready? >>

If you remember the storm we had about 4 months ago, our street flooded. The water rose right up to the bottome of our house (pier and beam house). However, I have a large storage room that was under about 6 inches of water. All of my neighbors who's houses are on a slab, were under water. I have flood insurance and $115k in personal property insurance coverage and a special endorsement for $25000 in collectibles. So, come on Gustav.
  • Options
    Luckily I live near the top of a rise in the land here so the water runs off pretty quickly here. Being a frame house set on a brick foundation I have about 14 inches to protect my house.
  • Options
    BEEN WATCHING ALL MORNING....not a whole lot happening in new orleans.....40 mph winds....moderate to light rain...no ponding water ...no structural damage....where are the 110 mph winds????????. saw a report on cnn where they interviewed a guy who decided to ride it out and he said they had worse thunderstorms all summer than what this storm is bringing.........sad to see the actors on the WEATHER CHANNEL try to find a broken tree limb or the guy whos reporting from the roof of an apartment building trying to find higher wind gusts (not even a breeze up there)... mike seidel whos being blown over by 40 mph winds that wouldnt budge my 11 year old daughter is pretty sad to watch.....he gets the al pacino wanna be award....on the other hand ,glad it was a bust, for those people who live down there ..
  • Options
    Any sustained rainfall for at least 30 minutes to an hour always floods our street. I spent a little bit of time yesterday making sure I didn't have any cards still at floor level image
  • Options

<< <i>BEEN WATCHING ALL MORNING....not a whole lot happening in new orleans.....40 mph winds....moderate to light rain...no ponding water ...no structural damage....where are the 110 mph winds????????. saw a report on cnn where they interviewed a guy who decided to ride it out and he said they had worse thunderstorms all summer than what this storm is bringing.........sad to see the actors on the WEATHER CHANNEL try to find a broken tree limb or the guy whos reporting from the roof of an apartment building trying to find higher wind gusts (not even a breeze up there)... mike seidel whos being blown over by 40 mph winds that wouldnt budge my 11 year old daughter is pretty sad to watch.....he gets the al pacino wanna be award....on the other hand ,glad it was a bust, for those people who live down there .. >>

If WC would go to the west and east of NO you would see the winds CNN and FOX have been showing the areas outside of NO. Remember though it is not the winds that are the concern its the rains. The winds in many Hurricanes are just part of the "show"

There are already 2 levees topped in the 9th Ward according to CNN. There is a barge that has apparently come loose in the Canal in NO. In Katrina one Levee was busted due to a barge
  • Options
    i have to admit my ignorance...the hurricane has sustained winds of 110 mph......the hurricane is now almost completely over land....most cities are reporting winds of 30 to 50 mph with a high of around 70mph.....where are the 110 mph sustained winds????... i know land slows down the winds but not this much...anyone???
  • Options
    Typically the highest winds are on the Northeast eye wall this would be around Houma right now. This is about 40 miles outside of NO where winds will be lower. They are also measured from the top of the storm so this wind will be much higher than surface reports. There will be occasional downbursts of 80 plus winds throughout the region.

Again the wind is not the biggest concern the flooding and storm surge are the most deadly and destructive parts of a Hurricane
  • Options
    The 100+ mph winds are on the edge of the eyewall which is now almost gone. This is a blessing for us in north Louisiana. Yesterday at this time, they were predicting that the storm would still be a CAT 1 when it reached us with winds still in the range of 75-100 mph and rainfall of 8-20 inches in a 36 hour period. Now we are just expecting a bad thunderstorm and maybe a few tornado watches.
  • Options

<< <i>i have to admit my ignorance...the hurricane has sustained winds of 110 mph......the hurricane is now almost completely over land....most cities are reporting winds of 30 to 50 mph with a high of around 70mph.....where are the 110 mph sustained winds????... i know land slows down the winds but not this much...anyone??? >>

MAX sustained winds of 110 and very close to the eye wall.

This storm seems like it really won't be that bad. 110 mph winds aren't THAT strong compared to projections and as long as it moves at 15-20 mph you all should be fine unless a lot of tornado activity shows.
  • Options

<< <i>The 100+ mph winds are on the edge of the eyewall which is now almost gone. This is a blessing for us in north Louisiana. Yesterday at this time, they were predicting that the storm would still be a CAT 1 when it reached us with winds still in the range of 75-100 mph and rainfall of 8-20 inches in a 36 hour period. Now we are just expecting a bad thunderstorm and maybe a few tornado watches. >>

Yeap, right now they are saying maybe a TS or Depression parking about 40 miles west of Texarkana
  • Options
    Completely calm and the sun is shining right now.
  • Options
    the reporter by the convention center in new orleans cant seem to find a gust of wind...he just found a little puddle by a clogged sewer and did a report on it....they are doing fine in new orleans right now
  • Options
    There should be another forcast update in the next few minutes.
  • Options

<< <i>the reporter by the convention center in new orleans cant seem to find a gust of wind...he just found a little puddle by a clogged sewer and did a report on it....they are doing fine in new orleans right now >>

Thats what they said right after Katrina passed. Nagin actually told the Red Cross we are fine go help those in Mississippi. Then the levee was breeched. The water is at the top of all major levees right now according to CNN
  • Options

<< <i>Completely calm and the sun is shining right now. >>

Same here, we have had a couple of wind gusts from the South this morning but nothing real bad yet.
  • Options
    I am watching live coverage of water flowing over the levees in NO.
  • Options
    Latest update from the NHC..

/O.CON.KSHV.HU.S.9999.000000T0000Z- 000000T0000Z/ SEVIER-HOWARD-LITTLE RIVER-HEMPSTEAD-NEVADA-MILLER- LAFAYETTE- COLUMBIA-UNION AR-CADDO- BOSSIER-WEBSTER-CLAIBORNE-UNION LA- MCCURTAIN-RED RIVER-BOWIE-FRANKLIN- TITUS-CAMP-MORRIS-CASS-WOOD- UPSHUR- MARION-SMITH-GREGG-HARRISON-CHEROKEE- RUSK-PANOLA- 1009 AM CDT MON SEP 1 2008
    ...NEW INFORMATION...

A WIND ADVISORY...A LAKE WIND ADVISORY AND A FLASH FLOOD WATCH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM MONDAY EVENING UNTIL 7 PM TUESDAY EVENING.

...AREAS AFFECTED...

THE WIND ADVISORY AND FLASH FLOOD WATCH INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES AND PARISHES.

IN NORTHEAST TEXAS...

CHEROKEE...RUSK...PANOLA... HARRISON...GREGG... SMITH... MARION.

IN NORTHWEST AND NORTH CENTRAL LOUISIANA...

CADDO...BOSSIER...WEBSTER... CLAIBORNE...UNION.

A LAKE WIND ADVISORY AND FLASH FLOOD WATCH INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES.

IN NORTHEAST TEXAS...

WOOD...UPSHUR...CAMP... FRANKLIN...TITUS... MORRIS... CASS...BOWIE... RED RIVER.

IN SOUTHWEST ARKANSAS...

MILLER...LAFAYETTE...LITTLE RIVER...SEVIER...HOWARD... HEMPSTEAD...NEVADA.

IN SOUTHEAST OKLAHOMA...

MCCURTAIN.

...WATCHES/WARNINGS...

FLASH FLOOD WATCH.

...STORM INFORMATION...

AT 1000 AM CDT...1500Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE GUSTAV WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 29.2 NORTH...LONGITUDE 90.8 WEST OR OVER THE LOUISIANA COAST JUST WEST-SOUTHWEST OF COCODRIE LOUISIANA. THIS POSITION IS ALSO ABOUT ABOUT 70 MILES...110 KM...SOUTHWEST OF NEW ORLEANS LOUISIANA AND ABOUT 100 MILES...160 KM...SOUTHEAST OF LAFAYETTE LOUISIANA.

GUSTAV IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHWEST NEAR 15 MPH...24 KM/HR...AND THIS GENERAL MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE WITH A DECREASE IN THE FORWARD SPEED DURING THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS. ON THE FORECAST TRACK...THE CENTER OF GUSTAV WILL TRACK ALONG THE SOUTH CENTRAL LOUISIANA COAST THIS AFTERNOON...THEN MOVE INTO WESTERN LOUISIANA TONIGHT AND EASTERN TEXAS ON TUESDAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 110 MPH...175 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. GUSTAV IS A CATEGORY TWO HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. WEAKENING IS FORECAST AS THE CENTER OF GUSTAV MOVES INLAND OVER LOUISIANA.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 70 MILES...110 KM...FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 200 MILES... 325 KM. THE NATIONAL OCEAN SERVICE STATION AT GRAND ISLE LOUISIANA RECENTLY REPORTED A WIND GUST OF 83 MPH...133 KM/HR.

THE MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE JUST REPORTED BY AN AIR FORCE RESERVE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT IS 955 MB... 28.20 INCHES.

GUSTAV IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE TOTAL RAINFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 12 INCHES OVER PORTIONS OF LOUISIANA... SOUTHERN AND WESTERN MISSISSIPPI... ARKANSAS AND NORTHEASTERN TEXAS...WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF UP TO 20 INCHES POSSIBLE THROUGH THURSDAY.

...PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

RESIDENTS SHOULD ALREADY BE MAKING PREPARATIONS FOR EXCESSIVE HEAVY RAINFALL AMOUNTS WHICH COULD CAUSE WIDESPREAD FLOODING. PREPARATIONS NEED TO BE MADE TODAY TO MOVE CATTLE AND EQUIPMENT TO HIGHER GROUND ACROSS THE MIDDLE RED RIVER VALLEY OF MCCURTAIN COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST OKLAHOMA...THE NORTHERN THIRD OF NORTHEAST TEXAS AS WELL AS SOUTHWEST ARKANSAS.

...WINDS...

FOR THOSE AREAS UNDER A WIND ADVISORY...EXPECT SUSTAINED WINDS NEAR 30 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS AS HIGH AS 50 MPH. FOR THOSE AREAS UNDER A LAKE WIND ADVISORY...EXPECT SUSTAINED WINDS OF 20 TO 25 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS.

...INLAND FLOODING...

GUSTAV IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE TOTAL RAINFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 12 INCHES OVER PORTIONS OF LOUISIANA... SOUTHERN AND WESTERN MISSISSIPPI... ARKANSAS AND NORTHEASTERN TEXAS...WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF UP TO 20 INCHES POSSIBLE THROUGH THURSDAY.

...TORNADOES...

THERE WILL BE A RISK OF TORNADOES AS THE OUTER RAIN BANDS FROM GUSTAV MOVE ACROSS THE REGION. THE RISK WILL INCREASE OVER AREAS THAT WILL BE ON THE EAST SIDE OF THE STORM THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH THE DAY TUESDAY INTO TUESDAY NIGHT. ON THE PRESENT TRACK... ALL OF NORTHWEST AND NORTH CENTRAL LOUISIANA AS WELL AS SOUTHWEST ARKANSAS WILL BE ON THE EAST SIDE OF THE STORM THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT.

...NEXT UPDATE...

THE NEXT UPDATE TO THE HURRICANE LOCAL STATEMENT WILL BE ISSUED AROUND 100 PM CDT MONDAY AFTERNOON
  • Options

<< <i>BEEN WATCHING ALL MORNING....not a whole lot happening in new orleans.....40 mph winds....moderate to light rain...no ponding water ...no structural damage....where are the 110 mph winds????????. saw a report on cnn where they interviewed a guy who decided to ride it out and he said they had worse thunderstorms all summer than what this storm is bringing.........sad to see the actors on the WEATHER CHANNEL try to find a broken tree limb or the guy whos reporting from the roof of an apartment building trying to find higher wind gusts (not even a breeze up there)... mike seidel whos being blown over by 40 mph winds that wouldnt budge my 11 year old daughter is pretty sad to watch.....he gets the al pacino wanna be award....on the other hand ,glad it was a bust, for those people who live down there .. >>

A level 3 hurricane is serious.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
    WOOO HOOO! I see very little school and LOTS of waves in my future. image

• Options
    Biloxi MS had 98MPH winds reported earlier
  • Options
    My uncle is in NO and is one of the 100k people that refused to leave. He rode out Katrina too and only had minimal damage to his home. I talked to him Saturday and he said he bought 5 cases of bottled water, 50 gallons of gas for generator and 15 cases of beer. Gotta love the priorities.
  • Options
    Lower 9th Ward is now flooding. FOX is showing a person in the water right now in the Ward. The Coast Guard was right there and got him out.
  • Options
    CNN IS SHOWING WAVES TOPPING OVER THE LEVEES IN THE 9TH WARD....WEATHER CHANNEL NEEDS TO PICK IT UP WITH THEIR COVERAGE
  • Options
    Right now the water is just topping the levees they are not breached yet. But in FOXs videos you can see how the water is over homes in the Ward only the Levee is saving them right now.
  • Options
    been watching the WEATHER CHANNEL all morning and storm looked like a non story...switched to CNN and with their different camera locations around the levees ...completely different ....if water rises a few feet more, they are under water again...not good
  • Options
    I hate the overdramatic reporting on FOX news. The 9th Ward was still partially flooded when I was there in January and very few people live there. Now FOX is acting like it is some new development.
  • Options
    << Well speaking from a Texan's point of view I would rather not have a huge amount of Lousiana folks hijacking our cars, breaking into our homes and raping people in the shelters, I still do not want people dying left and right so I would either say evacuate BEFORE the hurricane hits this time that way you won't lose that many people. However being a college fan as well I would rather watch the game. Life can wait, go football! >>

ATB
  • Options

<< <i>Right now the water is just topping the levees they are not breached yet. But in FOXs videos you can see how the water is over homes in the Ward only the Levee is saving them right now. >>

Also, remember one levee is a little short, not quite done. Looks like they will have a lot of water to deal with. Hope everyone remains safe.
  • Options
    Hope that all are safe and that damage can be kept to a minimum. Also hope that the relief agencies and government folks get their thumbs out of their asses and just do their jobs.