Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Jefferson experts - any info on the 1966 pigtail variety's?

Was wondering if anyone heard of them

Comments

• Options
    eCoinquesteCoinquest Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭
    never heard of em'. Heres a bump.
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    I never heard of it ether but I would love to see one with full steps, even a SMS.
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Pigtails? I haven't heard of anything dealing with varieties of pigtails.

I gotta ask where this thought came from...

And I agree... I'd love to find a strong 5 step coin. Unfortunately, only 6 MINT STATE coins have been graded by the top 3 TPGs (all at PCGS).

Steve

Edited for clarity.
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    here you go - pics added, not sure if someone was promoting this a long time ago or what

but somebody paid Capital Plastics to make this holder - notice the width of ponytail as it leaves head -

must be a die abrasion/mint polish issue I would guess

• Options

Excellent pics.......
  • Options
    I've never heard of that one. Good OP and great pictures!
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Just throwing this out as a what if scenario...

What is the possibility that since the mint removed all the mint marks off the coins for that year, that the coins could have actually been minted at separate facilities, i.e. the large ponytail at Philly, the medium at Denver, and the small at San Fran?

Also, I would think the person who made this variety holder was trying to get this to catch on... obviously it didn't.

Congrats on your find!

Steve

U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I am not sure it is a find
    or even if these are 'varieties'

does anyone have Breen's encyclopedia?
    if so, I am curious if he mentioned any varieites for 1966

That is an interesting idea on different mints
    maybe I should look at some more nickels

but they look so ugly from 1966
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am not sure it is a find
    or even if these are 'varieties'

does anyone have Breen's encyclopedia?
    if so, I am curious if he mentioned any varieites for 1966

That is an interesting idea on different mints
    maybe I should look at some more nickels

but they look so ugly from 1966 >>

BREEN's mentions no varieties for this date.
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    I've heard and seen these nickles referred to as "Pigtail" but it never really ever took off as a marketing ploy. I've been told this is nothing more than die polish loss on the dies.

BTW...these are already marked "Full Step"...FS is engraved just below Jefferson's bust.

In 1966, almost thirty years after the Jefferson Nickel first appeared, the designer's initials (F.S. for Felix Schlag) were added to the obverse below Jefferson's bust image
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    All Naengast's book on Nickels mentions for 1966 is the designer's initials were added to the obverse of the nickel in 1966.

As many nickels as I have looked at I never noticed that....
    Some call it an accumulation not a collection
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've heard and seen these nickles referred to as "Pigtail" but it never really ever took off as a marketing ploy. I've been told this is nothing more than die polish loss on the dies. >>

That is correct. Some guy must have gotten ahold of a bag of nickels showing different die states and made up the holders. Capital Plastics will make anything to order.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Its similar, I guess, to the three legged coins, the dies were polished down and detail was removed. Its not uncommon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file