Home Metal Detecting
Options

DIGS O' THE DAY (2008-04-06 & 2008-04-20): FLORIDA SPRING BREAK, OLD TOWN BRUNSWICK

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
DIGS O' THE DAY (2008-04-06 & 2008-04-20): FLORIDA SPRING BREAK, OLD TOWN BRUNSWICK

Here are two outings from April that never got written up. They were my last "digspeditions" until my first August attempt at detecting. I mostly laid low all summer, to avoid the heat, humidity, and insect activity. It actually has not been a bad summer by our standards, but bad enough, and besides, I had things to do.

Because the pictures were retrieved on August 25th after my long hiatus from treasure hunting, and I am relying on memory to fill in the stories, I'll mostly just add a few comments and let the pictures speak for themselves as much as possible. But you probably know by now that I have difficulty keeping it brief, due to my longwinded style. Both were fun outings but not terribly productive. (Well, the April 20th outing was not too bad, really- it just didn't produce quite what I had been hoping for.

APRIL 6, 2008

April found us in Palmetto, Florida, on the Gulf coast, visiting my mother. We went out to Pass-a-Grille Beach in St. Petersburg, and I brought my detector along (of course). It was lovely to see clear, blue-green water for a change, as our beaches in the Golden Isles of Georgia are nice for a stroll, but our water is usually pretty murky because of all the river sediment that enters the ocean off our coast.

It was a Sunday, and the beach was lively with joggers and strollers and sunbathers.

Looking down the beach, there was a lovely old pink Art Deco hotel in the distance. The lady in the black bathing suit carring a small bag is Happy Dobbs, my mother.

A pelican lazily floated on the gentle swells. (Whoops- I got the horizon a little crooked in that shot).

Our daughter, Victoria, then six years old, had a big grin on her face.

Naturally I couldn't resist dashing out into the surf and splashing in the water for a while. It was very nice, but a bit alarming when I stepped on a fish; probably a flounder! That's the only trouble with going into the water at the seashore- you have to share it with the sea critters, and sometimes they'll give you a little harmless scare. Here's me after I got in the water and just prior to the flounder encounter. My "stepping on a flounder" pose was probably similar to the one shown in the picture, but with a decidedly more alarmed and amusing facial expression, no doubt. My wife seems to have been no better at getting the horizon straight in the photos than I was. Maybe the angle of the beach had something to do with that.

A pair of gulls strolled down the sand, mostly unconcerned by human activity, as gulls everywhere usually are. These two picked up the pace and walked a tiny bit faster with me following them, but not much. They didn't seem to care that I was there as long as I didn't rush at them.

OK, now it was time to get the detector going. Victoria followed in my wake, casually interested in what Daddy was up to, but just as intent on picking up a few seashells.

The finds proved to be typical beach finds. I had a hard time hearing because I hadn't brought headphones and the seabreeze was pretty strong. I was just happy to be finding anything at all- one can often walk hundreds of yards on our St. Simons Island beaches without getting a single signal. I was surprised that the one nickel found turned out to be a 1940, as I have never found anything that old on a beach before. I suspect it was a fairly recent drop, though. Given a few more hours and less distraction (perhaps if I had been out there at night when the tide was out), I might have been able to bag a nice ring or some trinkets. I was happy with the few finds, though, because a walk on the beach is always a pleasant thing, regardless.

On the way back, Mom and my stepfather, Rason Dobbs (who we call "Baba") took us driving around, and we stopped at one place that was pretty fascinating. It was the Madira Bickel Mound, a state archaeological site. There was no museum on the site but there were some signs, including one that showed pictures of native life and artifacts from the distant past. The archaeologists have discovered three occupations of the site by Native Americans, the earliest being some 2,000 years ago. The big ceremonial mound has a flat top and is composed of sand, shell, and village debris. It measures 100 by 170 feet at the base and is 20 feet in height, making it pretty high above the surrounding terrain, which is barely above sea level.

Lest you think I was tempted to poke around in the dirt there, let me show you the warning sign that VERY clearly stated how forbidden that was. This was to be a sightseeing stop only! No digging allowed!

The big mound is covered in lush tropical vegetation, making it nearly impossible to judge the scale of it in relation to its surroundings. However, as Baba began to climb the steps to the top, you could see it was a sizeable feature for low, flat Florida!

I climbed up too, but there wasn't much to see except greenery. There was a sign that said some of the plants on top of the mound were far south of their usual range, I believe- apparently the slight difference in elevation caused by the ancient manmade feature is enough to create a mini-ecosystem of its own. I snaped a picture from the top, looking back down the steps.

There was no question that Mother Nature was happily thriving all around the ancient Indian site. Were it not for the steps and handrails, I would have felt like I was in some adventure film, climbing up a forgotten Aztec or Mayan ruin in Central America. I guess this is not entirely dissimilar to that, as it is in a rather tropical setting and is a very ancient native ruin, albeit one made of earth rather than stone. Unseen birds called out from the foliage and lizards scuttled around the railings and branches. This fine fat fellow with funny feet looked back at me.

We returned to the park where my parents were staying in their RV. Here's a still life with pelicans and old dock pilings, in the bayou.

Now it was time to get back into the water, but this time with no concerns about stepping on any fish! I walked up to the second story balcony to capture this shot of my wife and daughter, who had preceded me into the pool.

There were a bunch of happy, Hawaiian-shirted, middle-aged park residents singing karaoke in the tiki hut, probably with the aid of much liquid refreshment. The master of ceremonies and lead singer was doing a nice parody of "Hotel California", sung in the style of Elmer Fudd. Pretty funny, I thought, but then I realized it wasn't a put-on and the guy really DID sound like Elmer Fudd!

Wewcome to the Hotewww Cawwifornia...
Such a wovewy pwace...
Such a wovewy face...

They warmly beckoned us to join in the Bad Karaoke Festival, but we just smiled and waved back, and I cannonballed into the pool to join my ladies.

APRIL 20TH, 2008

Next we return to an old Victorian yard I had visited back on March 30th with my friend Ty. I came back alone on April 20th, with fond hopes of old silver coins.

The day started with some junk and a brass hose nozzle, which I was surprised to find was still connected to a hose that the lawn had swallowed up whole. Back under an azalea bush I dug a Wheat cent, followed by another, and another, and another, and so on. In all, I think I pulled five or six Wheaties from this hole, all from the 1930s and 1940s. Apparently it was an old pocket spill or kiddie cache.

The landscaping had run wild and was encroaching on the side of the old house, but it was kind of pretty and evocative.

I found myself humming an appropriate song as I looked into the backyard.

In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight
a weem a weh a weem a weh a weem a weh...

It was too lushly overgrown for my ground-level explorations, so back into the front yard I went. There were a lot of iron nails and rusty debris in the ground- apparent indicators of a late-19th century demolition. Perhaps there was an older house torn down before this one was built? That was an interesting thought. Scattered amongst the nails I found a few more Wheat pennies, including a 1914.

One coin turned out to not be a Wheat cent at all, but its far Northern contemporary: a 1947 Canadian cent. Even this far south, we do periodically find Canadian coins, but I usually don't put them in my "keeper" album unless they're from earlier monarchs. This George VI coin barely qualified as an older keeper, and was a welcome find. In 1947, Canada did something a little different and struck two different varieties of small cents. Each had the same design, but one had a tiny maple leaf to the right of the date, almost like a punctuation mark. Both varieties are fairly common, but this coin happened to be of the "plain" variety without the tiny extra maple leaf after the date.

Various other pieces of junk and old glass turned up. This yard proved challenging, and I wished I had brought my small "sniper" coil for the detector, to shoot between the trash targets. The total haul, while it included a respectable number of old cents, was not terribly impressive. Nevertheless, the ratio of old coins to newer ones was good, even if the ratio of coins to trash was not optimal. I only found one modern coins- a clad dime - while I found nine older ones (eight Wheat cents and the Canadian George VI cent).

I didn't find the elusive silver I knew was nearby, but nine obsolete cents is still a pretty good take for a single outing, by my standards.

Unfortunately I will not likely ever have the opportunity to unearth the silver pieces hiding between the rusty-crusties in that old yard, as the owner decided she wasn't that comfortable with us detecting there after all, because she was planning to institute some added security measures and didn't want us getting in trouble or giving bypassers the wrong idea. She was polite about it, though, and while the withdrawal of permission to hunt a site is usually a little disappointing, one must abide by the property owner's wishes and be grateful for the time that was allowed. It takes a gracious host to allow near-strangers to do something on their property which might seem quite odd to the average person.

~RWS

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    must be tough and slow over at the Detecting forum, but this is rather ill-placed here, isn't it?? seems sort of strange that the mod's would bounce the bulloion threads but let pop-top vacation threads run.............................
  • Options
    You're the first to complain about my detecting stories. Usually they are on topic because of the coins involved.

If anybody doesn't like them here, away they go.

(Edit- and away they did go. I used to post these on both the coin forums and the Metal Detecting Forum, but after Keets complained to the moderators I was banned from posting detecting stories on the US Coins Forum, even when US coins were involved. This thread was moved here to the Metal Detecting Forum by the moderators, so I edited out the other clone of it that had already been posted here.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    zeus135zeus135 Posts: 1,043
    Keep 'em comin'...................... coin finds in a coin show or coin finds in the ground, either route works for me.

An entertaining read as usual Rob, we need more threads that are this interesting.
    My humble '63 mint registry set, not much, but it's mine!
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    keep 'em coming

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Please don't leave this forum. You are one of a handful of contributors that I don't have to read the title before I open your thread. If people don't want to read your contributions, that they don't have to open the thread. We are all on "pins & needles" waiting for your coin discoveries, so keep sharing!
    Paul
  • Options
    The first story is long on vacation blather and short on coins, it is true. But there ARE a couple. No, they aren't $10 gold pieces, alas.

The second one includes several coins, and is all about hunting for coins. I fail to see how posting a thread about finding coins in the ground is any different than say, posting a thread about finding coins in circulation, or, for that matter, at a show, like zeus said.

Guess you can't please everybody all the time. I try, though.

I will pay closer attention to avoiding OT posts from now on, though, in the stricter atmosphere. My recent "lost my job" thread was an example of a meaningless OT post gone astray (since I had no idea I was going to be losing my job when I posted it and really shouldn't have been chitchatting about all that anyway, as there were no coins involved). That one created a monster, though the of outpouring support was nice (and a little embarrassing). I hope folks won't think it was a sympathy ploy, though.

My "OPERATION STONE HOLEY" thread seemed to amuse a lot of people, including the folks who assisted in the Florida end of the search. But it probably should have stayed on the Darkside since Yap stone coins are not US coins.

• Options
    Pmac- nobody said anything about me leaving the forum! But thanks.

Keets is right, in a way. I should stay more on-topic and follow the rules like everybody else.

However, I think I am perfectly justified in posting stories that involve US COINS in any way, however peripherally.

(Edited for the typical typos)

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Always a great read!

Looks like somebody a few posts on top of me hasn't had their coffee yet. Don't click the link if you don't want to read it.....simple as that.

-wes
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always enjoy these too !
    Victoria's a little cutie, by he way........
  • Options
    Are the mods bouncing bullion threads?

That seems strange.

I didn't even notice there was a "Precious Metals" forum until only a few minutes ago, when I posted this thread. Is it new? Are they trying to steer bullion talk there?

I can see bullion talk being topical here if the bullion is US COINS.

I usually don't post these on the Darkside (even though most of my closest friends are Darksiders), because the US coins I usually post are semi-OT over there. (Not totally- US coins are world coins, too). But I made an exception and did copy this there because of the Canadian cent.

If the coins I found were better, I suspect the stories would be more interesting, but I can only find what I can find (pop-tops included).

• Options
    partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    Please keep the stories coming, they are interesting. Better then look at this penny on ebay with $350k bid.

These types of posts are worth reading and informative. Keets if you don't care for them, perhaps you should just pass on reading them.

If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great... first Gecko109's foreign bullion Panda's now this imageimageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    The eBay penny with the $350K starting bid is pretty funny, you gotta admit. image

• Options

<< <i>must be tough and slow over at the Detecting forum, but this is rather ill-placed here, isn't it?? seems sort of strange that the mod's would bounce the bulloion threads but let pop-top vacation threads run............................. >>

I for one welcome (and miss) the dig o' day posts! In my opinion, they ARE coin related, with cool finds. Lord Marcovan has the talent to write his accounts with details that formulate pictures in my mind's eye.

If you don't appreciate the subject, please use self-restraint and skip it. It really isn't that hardimage

Lord Marcovan, keep up the good work and don't get discouraged by the malcontents.image
  • Options
    Geez, I am almost scared to post yesterday's finds, now!

If EIGHT wheaties and a 1940 Jeff don't cut the mustard, yesterday's coin finds will look pretty darned pathetic by comparison! image

I haven't written that story quite yet, but it has lots of pictures... of stuff other than coins. But I found all the peripheral stuff interesting. Whether the future readers will or not remains to be seen.

• Options

<< <i>

>>

Looks like US coins to me (well 8 of them image ) Great posts, always a great read, thanks!
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    just so i get this right-------------

it's OK to post anything here as long as we don't read the OT stuff?? you guys need to wake up. by your way of thinking it's OK to post about Bullion items as long as we just don't read the thread if we feel it's OT. apparently the moderators are in error on that point and created another forum without thinking the matter through.

there is an entire forum dedicated to Metal Detecting. the fact that a coin was found by the OP really is a moot point. the entire premise of this thread a vacation and metal detecting...............period. whether or not we enjoy the thread doesn't really matter, it's in the wrong place...............period. there is no logic to explain otherwise and it seems useless to have rules about one thing when another of the same is allowed, that's my sole point.

things have been different in the past but we all need to adapt to how the rules are now. that's all i'm trying to say
  • Options
    Sure, as far as I understand it.

As long as it has something to do with US coins, at least in part.

• Options
    Rob, with that logic all the bullion threads are fine since the price of bullion directly affects the prices we pay for US coins.
  • Options
    Yes, I don't disagree with that logic, personally, and never had a problem with bullion threads. I just didn't read them most of the time.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post LordM.... I will read them wherever you post them.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Well, now.

I have TWO posts of this title on the Metal Detecting Forum. Isn't that special.

I see this one got shunted from US Coins, where I am bidden not to post them anymore. OK, fair enough. They were not 100% topical, and that is why this forum is here.

I'll be candid, though- that stung.

But I will not go where I am not wanted (even by a just a sole malcontent or two), so this thread is where it belongs now.

I guess I'm home where I belong.

[gushy voice]

Awww, I love you, Metal Detecting Forum people. Awww, c'mere. Group hug. Who cares what those mean nasty Litesider people think, anyway.

[/gushy voice]

At least you make happy talk about my silly vacation pictures and pulltabs.

• Options

<< <i>Well, now.

I have TWO posts of this title on the Metal Detecting Forum. Isn't that special.

I see this one got shunted from US Coins, where I am bidden not to post them anymore. OK, fair enough. They were not 100% topical, and that is why this forum is here.

I'll be candid, though- that stung.

But I will not go where I am not wanted (even by a just a sole malcontent or two), so this thread is where it belongs now.

I guess I'm home where I belong.

[gushy voice]

Awww, I love you, Metal Detecting Forum people. Awww, c'mere. Group hug. Who cares what those mean nasty Litesider people think, anyway.

[/gushy voice]

At least you make happy talk about my silly vacation pictures and pulltabs.

image >>

Would it OK if I skip the huggy part Rob and just say..............stay home fella image
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    Sure. I don't really feel very huggy right now, to be honest.

• Options
    image...can't find the laughin emocon...........
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    You know what? I seem to have momentarily misplaced the laughing emoticon, as well.

• Options
    Wow, they really moved this, sorry to hear that. But FYI, there is someone quick on the trigger to poof or move threads at the moment. I was in the middle of posting the first response to a CAC thread of Longacre's a little bit ago and it poofed mid post. Ever since they opened the Precious Metals forum, someone is poof happy.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    At least in this section there's less idiots who think they run the forum but don't.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    Laugh Rob. You had the last one before the fool went weird
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I really find it amazing how senstive people can be. If trivial issues weren't substantiated with rude and pointless responses, the mods wouldn't impose more "strict" rules on the forum. I understand this started on the US Coins forum, even so, as a valued and respected poster in that forum, I'd think people would like to hear the story of a fellow collector. Really childish. Keep them rolling Rob.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    Dang group hug...

OK! WHO TOOK MY WALLET?!?!

But seriously (and more on topic) I never tire of reading your post LM. I have not been able to get out detecting in quite a while and am living vicariously through you.

V/R

Sumdunce
  • Options
    Robertson, look at it this way...You are a person most people like! Never a bad tempered moment with you ...and you can write too! You are very interesting and creative....so do not get those creative feelings hurt by those who like to be nasty...and have mood disorders. Let it pass like the wind it is!
  • Options
    Enjoyable reading, Rob. And that little girl is a darling.

Ray
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    Rob, post as many threads like this as you can write. I'd rather read these sorts of posts than 70% of the rest of the content here.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Awww, I love you, Metal Detecting Forum people. Awww, c'mere. Group hug. Who cares what those mean nasty Litesider people think, anyway"
    No matter what you say LordM... you ain't gettin' my Bud Lite.... image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ignore keets, he's a butthead girly boy wih SMS
  • Options

<< <i>No matter what you say LordM... you ain't gettin' my Bud Lite.... >>

Maybe not, ricko (you can keep it anyway), but as you can see above, I found the screwcap off of your Bud Lite! image

• Options
    Keets!

This is a very important component of Metal Detecting, i.e. the set up of the finds.

Please, I think it only appropriate to complain if lordmarcovan had digressed into VAM talk.

Great Post!
  • Options
    Rob, don't pay too much attention to what Keets had to say. Sometimes he just talks to hear his head rattle.
    I, among all the others, really enjoy reading about your metal detecting hunts.
    Please keep them coming and tell the grumpy ones to kiss where the crack is .
    Molon Labe
  • Options
    thanks for sharin...watch out for those killer flounder...hee hee hee....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Rob, don't pay too much attention to what Keets had to say. Sometimes he just talks to hear his head rattle.
    I, among all the others, really enjoy reading about your metal detecting hunts.
    Please keep them coming and tell the grumpy ones to kiss where the crack is . >>

well said. if it only was a matter of just being 'grumpy'.
  • Options
    this keets guy reminds me Tjennings. remember TJ? i met him a few times, a real goofy person.

i don't see how 1 post out of thousands could cause anyone to behave like that.
  • Options
    At least TJ was usually NICE. Heck, TJ was the one who got this forum started!

• Options
    nice pics but living in florida for 15 yrs i can tell you this. they.ll be more junk than treasure in those areas because everything at one time or another was farm land. and cows dont cary pocket change. i lived 5 blocks from downtown orlando and my digs usualy unearthed old spurs, skillets,copper slugs and about 30 cents in unwanted clad. however if you stick to the beaches,parks and well traveled sites you will do ok. lake underhill in orlando is where people go to walk,exercize,and run jet skis.but one guy with a machine dug up a nice gold ring with 18 diamonds just about two yrs ago. it made the papers.....and he made some cash.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are fun threads, and informative, despite what others think.

Hell of a lot better than "my toe hurts post a coin to cheer me up".

Keep em coming My Lord.

I don't understand where Keets is coming from, this is the decting forum. Am I missing something?

Scott
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    Too bad some feel your detecting posts do not belong on the coin forum. I cannot understand why it being there would bother anyone. It was actually a nice addition and I always looked forward to reading about your adventures.

Luckily while wondering over here (on the detecting forum), I found this installment a month late!
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • Options

<< <i>I don't understand where Keets is coming from, this is the decting forum. Am I missing something? >>

This particular post was moved from US coins to here, by the mods, when he complained. As was another one, about dug tokens.