Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post something local (to you): token/scrip/medal/elongated etc

savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
Show off where you live and post something local:

edited to add: Hendersonville is approx. 20 miles from Asheville, where I grew up and live today. Enka, sometimes called Enka-Candler, has been incorporated into the greater Asheville area. For a neat read on Enka and its now closed down plant
click here i still see the old clock tower from the road as i pass each day.....i recently spoke with a retired 40 year employee of the Enka plant who remembers spending the Enka scrip (similar to that pictured above) in the company store

www.brunkauctions.com

Comments

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about where I grew up?

Not my hometown but my state though.... I guess its in between themimage

Stefanie

picked up tonight

• Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    How about some wooden nickels from my hometown, not where I currently live image
  • Options
    cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY
  • Options
    nice stuff guys! keep 'em coming! i really like the currency cucamongacoin

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    How bout a well traveled O-mint dime from my home state?imageimageimage

As for tokens, here's the one from my last giveaway:imageimage
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    saturday bump....anyone else?

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    imageimage
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    State of birth:

Where I live now:

• Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    USAROKUSAROK Posts: 887 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

imageimage
  • Options
    <sigh> Another Tacky trinket from the Morgan Mint.

• Options
    From Hanover, PA where I was born, and where Christian Gobrecht was also born!! We live about 3 miles from Hanover.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

This Atlantic Shrimp Company token "Good For 15" was a detector find, as so many of my good local tokens were. Apparently this type was used both here (Brunswick, GA) and in St. Augustine, FL, as well.

The Brunswick library's Special Collection had several gaps in the old city directories for the period, but if I remember correctly, Atlantic Shrimp was listed in the 1934 directory but not in the 1937. I am assuming this piece dates to the Depression era, but it could conceivably be earlier.

I was intrigued by the denomination of it. "Good for 15". Fifteen what? 15 cents? 15 shrimp? 15 pounds of shrimp?

Later discussion after my friend Ty also found one gives us the theory that these were checks of some kind; tallies given for the daily shrimp catch brought in. If that is true, I suppose they would ahve been cashed in on paydays, maybe once a week or once a month.

I found a terrific good luck token pretty close to where I got the Atlantic Shrimp Company piece. It wasn't a local, but it is one of my favorite token finds.

I have several other tokens I never figured out. I should post them one day, when I finish the long project of imaging all of the past 16 years worth of detecting coin finds. Some of these interesting dug tokens come from YOUR hometown, Greg (my previous hometown).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    OK, here is one of my Asheville digs, Greg. One of the few I have got uploaded so far, anyway.

I never found out much about its history.

In the front yard of an old Victorian house on Montford Avenue in Asheville, Michael (Aethelred) and I did very well.
    I found three Montezuma Lumber 5c tokens (similar to the one above, but nickel size instead of half dollar size) in that yard.
    This 50c token came from another site somewhere else in Buncombe County- I forget where and have to check my records.
    That Montford district house produced, in addition to the three Montezuma 5c tokens, a fairly sharp 1918-S dime (for me),
    a 1911-S semi-key Lincoln (for Michael) and a cool old shield-shaped hotel room key fob from a hotel in Charleston, SC (for me).

Apparently somebody in the house on Montford Avenue had worked for the Montezuma Lumber Company at some point in the early 1900s.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

I don't have any cool coinage from the local area, but
    I do have this.

A 10 cent Confederate stamp, canceled with a blue
    Greensborough, NC cancel. Greensborough is an
    obsolete spelling of my hometown, Greensboro.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    rpwrpw Posts: 235 ✭✭
    imageimage Small Size National Bank Note Type Set $5-$100
  • Options
    MrBungle- in an exonumia thread like this, I think that qualifies! image

Great thread- it has brought some really cool stuff out from the woodwork.

These two really caught my eye:

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    That is a lot of neat stuff!

I've got a transit token from here (San Jose, CA). I also have a $20 bill from the State Bank at New Brunswick which is where I lived during my teenage years.

• Options
    I like those little transit tokens with the cutouts, but Carl, yours is the most interesting I have seen so far. I've seen letters and shapes to the cutouts, but that is the first I have seen with some actual design elements to it. Nice.

• Options
    And re. the currency- if I ever get into paper (which is not terribly likely) I suspect I could acquire a taste for those Nationals.

It's too expensive a taste, in most cases, though.

• Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    from the east coast
    blue angles at jones beach
    figglehorn
  • Options

<< <i>MrBungle- in an exonumia thread like this, I think that qualifies! image

Great thread- it has brought some really cool stuff out from the woodwork.

These two really caught my eye: >>

I left this little piece of info out of the post.......

I'm pretty sure it matches this.....

• Options
    Savoy PM-ed that picture to me, to tell me I have good taste when I admired that piece.

I guess that is from Rulau?

I own a copy but have not taken it down off the shelf in too long.

Cool piece.

• Options

<< <i>Savoy PM-ed that picture to me, to tell me I have good taste when I admired that piece.

I guess that is from Rulau?

I own a copy but have not taken it down off the shelf in too long.

Cool piece. >>

I liked that piece from the first time I looked at it......have no idea why
    but even more reason to love itimage

Stefanie
  • Options
    The blissful, half-stoned looking eagle did it for me. That, and the word "Hatters". As in, "Mad Hatters".

What's the "144" all about?

• Options

<< <i>The blissful, half-stoned looking eagle did it for me. That, and the word "Hatters". As in, "Mad Hatters".

What's the "144" all about? >>

I would assume its the address 144 Main St.

Stefanie

edit to add....it goes with this one nicelyimage

• Options
    This thread deserved resurrection.

Here is an interesting piece I dug while detecting here in Brunswick (GA). Note that the company who issued it seemed to have a presence both here and in Saint Augustine, FL.

I dunno if the "15" this was good for was 15 cents (seems likely), or ... 15 shrimp?

Did some looking in old city directories in the library and found the Atlantic Shrimp Company listed in a 1937 directory, I believe, but not in any of the others. The library's collection of old directories was spotty.

I've got a bag of old George VI (1930s-40s) and early QE2 (1950s) Canadian cents. Think I might take some of 'em out to the village on St. Simons Island, in the touristy area, where I know they've got some penny rolling machines. I've seen local elongates with our lighthouse on 'em. Some with dolphins, too, I think.

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Official Mummers Medal Fancy Division
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't live in Sun Valley, but Boise is close. This is a proof silver round made to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the opening of the resort in 1936. Both it and the original box are marked #433 out of a mintage of 1000. The round is also marked .999 silver. Weight is .815 oz. troy. In addition to the sales invitation card, I also have the original cash register receipt from when it was bought at the resort on 9/30/86.

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Drat ... wrong spelling ... otherwise it would be a perfect reminder of an old Homer & Jethro song.

<< <i>image >>

1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file