Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

[: A 'Spotlight' on my Cathedral Medals :]

Carlwohlforth's post reminded me and encouraged me to finish these. So with the aid of spacemonkey's templates, and a thread styled like his often are, here are my Wiener medals with their new pics. I have larger pics of all of them if anyone is interested in one, let me know.

Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

Comments

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    My answer is 42. Thanks for the giveaway!!!

• Options
    Neat! Thanks for posting, they are all very interesting and great looking.
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Congrats for a beautiful looking set and thanks for sharing them with us.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Congrat's on these. They are all fantastic examples!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Those are beautiful.
    -Rome is Burning

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I think you had the right idea to start collecting these. image

• Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>I think you had the right idea to start collecting these. image >>

I also helped a lot of people start there own sets, what was i thinking?!? Now I can't find anymore image lmao. JK i'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Thanks for the comments everyone!
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    very nice... love the presentation! image

-sm
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous... I will get one - sometime... hard to find though... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! imageimage
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful Coins!

I love the feeling of depth with these coins.
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great presentation of some awesome medals Mark.
    Congratulations on a great collection.
  • Options
    Outstanding!!!
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    Flatwoods, i still go back to your post to see the Tournai...i was sooooo close to buying that one myself (and you narrowly beat out 2 other forumites)! Have you been able to pick up any others?

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I'm jeolous. image
  • Options
    So you're the reason I cant seem to find any choice examples........... Why not leave afew for the little guys there bud?

Simply amazing! When my modest set is done, I hope it makes my eyes pop out of my head like yours does.

Question, will any of the top 3 grade and slab these?
    Looking for Au Classic Commems...
    Also looking for VF-EF Seated halves.

Sell me your old auction catalogs...image
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    This thread deserves a ttt. Beautiful medals.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

ooops just looked at the date
  • Options
    Ummm well i've been blown out on the last 10 or so i've chased image After paying in the $100-150 range for the first twelve, looks like the going rate is now about double that for most of them image

• Options
    very beautiful medalsimage
  • Options
    I still like those very much! The depth is amazing. The few I've seen for sale were priced above my limit so I don't own any yet...
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice collection of Medals image
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Posts: 3,294
    Those are amazing ... and, imho, terribly under-valued. Do you know the approximate mintages on any of those?
  • Options

<< <i>Those are amazing ... and, imho, terribly under-valued. Do you know the approximate mintages on any of those? >>

Fletcher, I have not been able to find any mintages, i'd assume in the mid thousands or so with a relatively high survival rate as these were cherished by the chruches and countries depicted. There is but one book on Wiener's cathedral medals and after two years of searching i still have not been able to find a copy! Ben Weiss has by far the most informative and complete collection of medals I have been able to find.

• Options
    As a side note, Jacques Wiener is often known as the last great medal maker and made each medal from hand-carved steel dies. Sadly his eyesight went before he could finish the (50 part) Cathedral medal series and thus the last couple medals were made with the help of his brother Charles who Jacques helped to train. A total of 41 European cathedral medals in the ~59mm size were issued after a series of 50mm belgian church medals were made with his other brother Leopold who Jacques also helped to train. The later European medals are both larger and more expensive than the belgian medals.

• Options
    Whoops, double post.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are really nice and thanks for the history lesson.

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Very nice!image
  • Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    These "3D" medals always blow me away, thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    Those things are simply amazing. I am still on a quest to obtain one.
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VERY nice collection.
  • Options
    Thanks for the words guys... If anyone wants to sell, let me know! image

I'm trying to research more about Jacques and hopefully in the future I'll be able to write a decent article. Finding info on this guy is tough though!

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

I love a collection with a theme.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Morgan dollar-sized medal with a very similar style of sharp 3 dimensional fine detail, labeled NOTRE DAME CATHEDRALE DE PARIS, with a different view on each side. But it does not have Wiener's name on it, or anyone else's. It does have FONDEE IV SIECLE under one of the pics. Any idea what this is?
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486

medals.........
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    It's kinda cool to see the renewed interest. A year ago these were pretty hot but faded when Stack's auction (September 2008 Coin Galleries Sale) brought such huge prices.

I responded to all the PMs image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file