Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

North/South/Central American Coins Thursday, let's see them!

Comments

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    @jgenn is that 3 over another digit, or just repunched?

I noticed that too, but I don't see any evidence of a 2 under there. NGC certified it as a 1763 AU-53.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Must have been a very significant birthday @Eddi - these are gorgeous! And Happy Belated!

• Options
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnnyCache said:

I love that piece. Congratulations!!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options

@Yorkshireman said:
    Here is my new piece:

Nice addition. I wondered who snapped it up.

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:

@Yorkshireman said:
    Here is my new piece:

Nice addition. I wondered who snapped it up.

Thanks, TwoKopeiki!
    That means a lot coming from you.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options

I'm hoping to share my new addition tomorrow when I get it in-hand.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2020 12:13PM

@TwoKopeiki said:
    I'm hoping to share my new addition tomorrow when I get it in-hand.

Package is in Barrie!

• Options

Another shot, direct light, but angled camera. As can expected - images show the color much better but there are hot spots.

• Options
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Hard to capture both the color and luster on this one, but this is the best i can do quickly without introducing axial lighting (see TV image below). Will definitely need to spend more time with the photo set-up on this one.

Thanks for parting with it @Boosibri - it has all the right characteristics for me to include in the permanent collection!

PCGS TV using Axial:

This is a coin you have to see in hand to give it the full appreciation. I reeeaaally like this coin.

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Finally arrived from Germany. Very pleased with this one. Good luster and only 3 tiny obverse hairlines hiding in attractive rose champagne toning.

Auction description:

Schöne Patina. Feine Kratzer, vorzüglich - Stempelglanz

What is your grade guess?

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    What is your grade guess?

It should MS. There are no luster breaks on the bust, the crown, or the PLUS ribbon, and just a touch on the right pillar between L and T in ULTRA that is small enough to not hopefully be an issue that would cost this coin grade points. The 3 small hairlines are not very apparent at first glance, but you can find them under magnification if you look long enough. Luster is nice, but not "booming". Strike is ok except for the small area of weakness at 4 o'clock. It should at least be a shoe-in 63, IMO, and hopefully on a first try.

• Options

@bidask said:
    Another RARE date....these coins deserve their own posts !

...... " seldom seen better than very fine according to D&P ".

This one PCGS 62+...wholly original.

Nice patina on this piece... was this Hubbard (M&E) or Lerena (eBay) - or other??

• Options
    realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2020 4:34PM

@TwoKopeiki said:

PCGS TV using Axial:

Roman, sometimes heavily/colorfully toned pieces are a bit too "unoriginal" for me (NOT at all meaning artificially toned, but instead just not the essence of what a Mint State coin truly is as made - AKA white/gleamingly lustrous)... and sometimes PCGS TrueView seems to be more pretty photoediting than what a coin actually looks like in hand...

but this piece looks absolutely gorgeous!!!

• Options

@realeswatcher said:

Roman, sometimes heavily/colorfully toned pieces are a bit too "unoriginal" for me (NOT at all meaning artificially toned, but instead just not the essence of what a Mint State coin truly is as made - AKA white/gleamingly lustrous)... and sometimes PCGS TrueView seems to be more pretty photoediting than what a coin actually looks like in hand...

but this piece looks absolutely gorgeous!!!

Thanks Brian. Using your definition, this may not be MS but it's definitely UNC ;)

• Options
    Winchester1873Winchester1873 Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭

Jumping the gun by a few hours ...

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@realeswatcher said:

@bidask said:
    Another RARE date....these coins deserve their own posts !

...... " seldom seen better than very fine according to D&P ".

This one PCGS 62+...wholly original.

Nice patina on this piece... was this Hubbard (M&E) or Lerena (eBay) - or other??

Hubbard (M&E)

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    EddiEddi Posts: 454 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    The Guatemala countermarks are probably not official but they are at least “of the era”, so worthy of my collection.

That is a very interesting coin of a type I have never seen.
    You say it was not official countermark, but contemporary. Is anything known about their origin?

The Chilean countermarks on Rio de la Plata issues from 1813 and 1815 have similarly been often imitated.
    In that case, as far as I know, non-official countermarks are not contemporary but later counterfiets made to satisfy collector demand.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eddi said:

@MrEureka said:
    The Guatemala countermarks are probably not official but they are at least “of the era”, so worthy of my collection.

That is a very interesting coin of a type I have never seen.
    You say it was not official countermark, but contemporary. Is anything known about their origin?

The Chilean countermarks on Rio de la Plata issues from 1813 and 1815 have similarly been often imitated.
    In that case, as far as I know, non-official countermarks are not contemporary but later counterfiets made to satisfy collector demand.

They Guatemalan pieces I posted have long been thought to be contemporary counterfeit countermarks, but it's far from certain. More research is needed.

All of the fake Chilean countermarks I've seen have been reasonably obvious modern concoctions, but that doesn't mean that a contemporary counterfeit couldn't surface one day.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2020 11:10AM

Photos won't post, sorry....

I know, not perfect but I like it.....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2020 11:16AM

(https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/zw/7jaov80eaxq1.jpeg "")

Wow, pictures bad as there is a decent luster in hand and NOT dull or lifeless...

• Options
    edited December 17, 2020 11:18AM

@7Jaguars said:
    /Users/ericdawson/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/resources/renders/B/B0CD9387-DB8A-4431-B058-7E0F3DF77C67_1_201_a.jpeg

If you click on the image icon, then "Choose Files" you'll be able to select that photo from your local library.

I can see the reverse:

• Options

Ah, thanks. Having trouble accessing my own pictures for some reason right now....

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki the obverse, remember the Eagle side is the obverse ;)

• Options

@Boosibri I think 58 was rather severe based on the pictures. Nice coin. Really nice.

• Options

Here's a neat one from tonight's Heritage auction. 1 over something... Upside-down 1? Letter I from the legend? No idea, but its neat.

• Options

@TwoKopeiki described? Looks like an I... nice.