Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Shipping a high value coin to Mexico- update with results in first post

I'd be interested in any info anyone might have regarding the best way to send an expensive coin ($20 gold double eagle, $1,000 value) to Mexico. If you've ever done such a thing and have any ideas to share, I'd appreciate your input.

Update- the seller my customer bought the $20 gold from sent the coin to me, and it was repackaged in cutouts in an old auction catalog (see pictures below). The catalog/coins were shipped on Aug. 10 and arrived safely today in Mexico.

Comments

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Registered mail, the only way to go to old Mexico.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • coverscovers Posts: 624
    Don't do it unless by FEDEX or DHL.

Many collectors in Mexcio who buy high-value collectibles use agents who receive mail for them at US address on the border and transport them to Mexico.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    You might look into GXG at the post office, but I think Registered would be the way to go.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    How was payment made? Registered mail will not protect you against a PayPal chargeback. Global Express Mail, on the other hand, will show necessary tracking information.

(If PayPal is not part of the equation, ignore).

Personally, I don't ship to Mexico. DSI won't insure to there (or most countries in central/south America). Too much postal fraud.
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My only experience sending to Mexico was a bad one that ended with buyer claiming he never received the coin and doing a PayPal chargeback. But I've only done it once so far.
  • Some more background on the deal... The recipient is a past customer of mine (call him PC). I have sent a couple of lower valued shipments to him ($100 - $200) that have arrived with no problems. The coin in question ($20 double eagle) is one he's trying to buy from another seller who doesn't want to ship to Mexico, but is willing to ship to a third party (that would be me) as long as it's to an address in the US. PC has asked me if I would accept delivery of the coin for him and resend it to him in Mexico, with him paying the shipping/insurance expenses. I use a private insurance company for my shipments (U-PIC), so getting coverage is not an issue. Since I'm not receiving a payment for the gold coin (I will be including a couple of inexpensive coins of my own), there's not a lot to chargeback against me, so I'm not at much of a risk financially.

In an email exchange last night with PC, I asked if he had any preferences regarding the best way to ship. He said that his experience has been that the less conspicuous the package, the better. Registered mail works, but not always- the labels on the package attract attention and sometimes, they disappear. Having dealt with a "lost" registered package shipped to Germany earlier this year, I don't find that hard to believe. The same with customs forms- usually, the packages go right through, but sometimes, they get opened and looked over.

Up to this point, everthing I've shipped to Mexico has gone in 2x2 flips in Safe-T-Maliers in a regular envelope, with no customs forms. I'd like to do the same thing here, but I'm afraid with three coins each weighing about an ounce, the envelope would stand out due to the weight. Right now, I'm considering the possibility of using an old auction catalog with pockets cut out of the middle pages to hold the coins. These catalogs are fairly weighty for their size due to the heavy glossy paper they're printed on, so a couple of extra ounces worth of coins wouldn't be too noticeable. Sealed in a clear plastic bag and mailed in a manila bubble mailer, even if the package is opened, it wouldn't be immediately obvious that there was anything of real value there.

I don't know- I'm just thinking out loud right now...
  • coverscovers Posts: 624
    If your insurance will cover a third-party coin being trans-shipped by regular mail, with proof of sending, send regular mail. Otherwise, and probably the prudent thing to do, is to just say you can't do it.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Registered mail will not protect you against a PayPal chargeback >>

I didn't know this. I thought that since the registered number is in the online USPS tracking system, it proves that the shipment was sent and that the sender is covered this way (i.e. proof of sending).

On another note, if you send registered mail and indicate the value, but check the box that says "decline postal insurance", are you still covered up to $25,000? The registered mail receipt says something about "insurance up to $25,000 included for domestic delivery." Does this mean you don't need extra insurance if you send something registered within the US? I'm kind of confused. Thanks.

• Happy ending- see first post.
  • 500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭
    Glad it worked.

Risky, though...
    Finem Respice
  • You might wanna use GQ or Cosmopolitan next time.