Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Shockingly good news from Scotsman for gold coin collectors...

RYKRYK Posts: 35,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
They will be offering 81 gold coins from the Eliasberg collection in their October auction. Many of the coins are collector-grade coins, semi-generic and generic coins, well within reach of most gold coin collectors. This excites me a heck of a lot more than another shipwreck. image

Comments

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I love the Scotsman as much as the next guy, but I am curious why the consignor would choose them over any other auction firm, particularly with the coveted Eliasberg pedigree. I know these are generic gold coins for the Numismatic Hoi Polloi, but I expect there should be some premium for the pedigree and perhaps a sale to a broader audience by another auction firm might have been more appropriate.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    I know these are generic gold coins for the Numismatic Hoi Polloi

1930-S $20 MS-65
    1880 FH Stella

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll bet these turn out to be very ordinary coins that don't merit any pedigree premium.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

<< <i>I'll bet these turn out to be very ordinary coins that don't merit any pedigree premium. >>

Hey, I am not going to let you spoil the fun for me. Sure, some of the coins are not worth much more than melt, but some are legitimately scarce and interesting. I plan to buy my share.

Around the time of the sale, I will do a thread with all of the issues, the B&M grade in the catalog, the NGC grade, the 1982 selling price, and the 2008 selling price.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't tell Realone. image
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Can't you make an exception? After all, it IS Elisasberg. image

Enjoy the long weekend, my friend...MIke
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    How about a link to details, I might be interested in some. image
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...Correction...

Shockingly good news from Scotsman for gold coin collectors...THAT HAVE MONEY TO SPEND
  • Options
    I agree with 291 fifth...these pedigreed coins will turn out to be very ordinary coins that don't merit any premium. If bidding, be sure to examine the coins in person or have a rep do so.
    I'm trying to become the person my dog thinks I am
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know these are generic gold coins for the Numismatic Hoi Polloi

1930-S $20 MS-65
    1880 FH Stella

image >>

Ooooo St. Guru needs the 30-S. Guru, have you seen this one before?
  • Options

<< <i>I agree with 291 fifth...these pedigreed coins will turn out to be very ordinary coins that don't merit any premium. If bidding, be sure to examine the coins in person or have a rep do so. >>

I will examine them in person, and if anyone else is interested in buying one (or more), I will make some recommendations for the coins that I will not be considering. image
  • Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭
    I was pleased to find the announcement of this collection of Eliasberg coins in the mail today from Scotsman! This should be interesting...
    Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd find this news shockingly good if another auction house were selling these.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    For those who care, the 1880 $4 FH Stella, Judd-1657 coin, which was graded Proof-67 in the Bowers and Ruddy Eliasberg catalog, was graded PF-66 by NGC. It realized $55,000 in the 1982 Eliasberg sale. It should realize a tad more in October. image
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

I am curious why the consignor would choose them over any other auction firm, particularly with the coveted Eliasberg pedigree.

The same coins could be sold by Billy Bob and Cecil's House-O-Coins in Ho-bunk, Kentucky and they would still do well. All that it takes is enough publicity and exposure to attract a few serious buyers and the competition will assure that the appropriate prices are realized. Scotsman is getting better and the auction game, so I am not surprised that they got the consignment. My good friend, James Garcia, is cataloging most of that sale and the research/descriptions will be top-notch, without question. Some of the typographical errors that you may have seen in recent advertisements were not his, btw.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd find this news shockingly good if another auction house were selling these. >>

i agree. it is certainly a horrible injustice that some dinkly little upstart like the scottie boys would dare take on a heritage caliber consignment. i only want there to be 1 single auction house, the mighty heritage house! competition stinks.

K S
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw quite a few dealers in St louis today, perhaps for the show and auction, including Mark Feld, Julian Leidman, Doug Winter, HLRC, US Coins and many others. Results of the Eliasberg segment of this auction should be interesting.

There were some nice coins on the bourse too. Aisles were not crowded. Dealers were somewhat concerned about outlook. Afterall you can only do so much wholesale without active retail buying.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146

<< <i>...Correction...

Shockingly good news from Scotsman for gold coin collectors...THAT HAVE MONEY TO SPEND >>

Who needs money when you have plastic?image
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    I plan to attend the auction tomorrow. Doug Winter, Julian, et al will have some serious competition for the good stuff. I will post an "auction report" (is there such thing?) after my return.

I plan to attend the show, with my son, on Saturday.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I plan to attend the auction tomorrow. Doug Winter, Julian, et al will have some serious competition for the good stuff. I will post an "auction report" (is there such thing?) after my return.

I plan to attend the show, with my son, on Saturday. >>

auctions for great coins are fun, even if just observing. Enjoy!
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding the Chain Cent, what exactly does "re-engraved, burnished" mean?

In other words, ANACS will grade an altered coin as XF-40? Just asking.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Regarding the Chain Cent, what exactly does "re-engraved, burnished" mean?

In other words, ANACS will grade an altered coin as XF-40? Just asking. >>

No, they'll "Net grade it" as XF-40 details, reengraved-burnished.
  • Options

<< <i>Regarding the Chain Cent, what exactly does "re-engraved, burnished" mean? >>

It's fancy talk for "PASS" image
  • Options
    For those who were interested, there is a group of 3 cent silvers that is breathtaking. Apparently, the coins were part of a collection that was put together years ago, the owner died about 15 years ago, and the coins are finally being released by the family for sale. The strikes were strong and the toning of quite a few were extremely attractive. I am (obviously) not bidding on any of these, but if I were interested in 3cs as type or dates, I would be seriously looking at them. Same goes for two cent pieces.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For those who were interested, there is a group of 3 cent silvers that is breathtaking. Apparently, the coins were part of a collection that was put together years ago, the owner died about 15 years ago, and the coins are finally being released by the family for sale. The strikes were strong and the toning of quite a few were extremely attractive. I am (obviously) not bidding on any of these, but if I were interested in 3cs as type or dates, I would be seriously looking at them. Same goes for two cent pieces. >>

I love the color some of the silvers get. This is a series I would seriously contemplate starting if I did not have so far to go on the stuff I already collect. image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,836 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Regarding the Chain Cent, what exactly does "re-engraved, burnished" mean? >>

It's fancy talk for "PASS" image >>

image<----- code for: "Leave it alone boys, it's mine"

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'd find this news shockingly good if another auction house were selling these. >>

i agree. it is certainly a horrible injustice that some dinkly little upstart like the scottie boys would dare take on a heritage caliber consignment. i only want there to be 1 single auction house, the mighty heritage house! competition stinks.

K S >>

IIRC, his comment relates more to a bad experience with Scotsman, rather than a desire for Heritage to have monopolistic control of all numismatic auctions.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

It's fancy talk for "PASS" image >>

image<----- code for: "Leave it alone boys, it's mine" >>

Exactly.
  • Options
    imageIt's fancy talk for "PASS" >>

<----- code for: "Leave it alone boys, it's mine" >>

Exactly.

Don't worry. That's what I figured all that happy talk about 3 cent silvers was - a diversionary tactic.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Got my Eliasberg coin. Sitting in auction hall right now. Details later.
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Now would be fine, thank you.
  • Options

I'm guessing it's the $10 Turban, 1799 or some such.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1880 Stella?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>Lot 823 >>

Looks nice in the pic.!
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Lot 823:

imageimage
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Got my Eliasberg coin. Sitting in auction hall right now. Details later. >>

Sweet! Congrats.
  • Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭
    Good for you, RYK. Congratulations on winning one of the Eliasberg coins.

I was also at the sale, but I did not recognize you. (You must have been hiding behind the potted palm image)

[Edit: Edited for blank post]
    Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that putty on the cheek? image

• Options

<< <i>Is that putty on the cheek? image

image >>

I doubt putty would still look this good after so many years, but what is it ???????????????????????????
    Life member of the SSDC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file