Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

AROD Rookies falling in value?

I've looked at the recent ebay and non-ebay sales and noticed that AROD rookies are selling for much less than in the spring. I know he has been injured and the Yankees are down, but his cards have always held up well. I just saw his SP Die Cut RC BGS 9 go for $850, which is about $150-$200 less than just two months ago.

Buying opportunity or the start of a trend down?
Mike

Comments

• JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    The auction you are referring to was won via a "Best Offer" of $850.00. As such, I don't think it is truly reflective of the market value of the card. That said, it appears that all cards ACROSS THE BOARD are selling for less these days than perhaps a couple months or even a year ago. And it makes sense. Buying sports cards is likely not that high on a person's priorities when it comes to spending hard earned money ... or at least I don't think it should be. Or, perhaps people do not have as much disposable cash as they once may have had.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even though I think card collectors, especially of the high end stuff, are less exposed to the economy than the average American, we could be seeing the price of $4+ gas starting to take down discretionary spending across the board.

I always thought that summer is the worst time to sell cards, too many people on vacation.
    Mike
  • Yes, they have come down quite a bit, especially his SP DIE CUT HOLOVIEW...BGS 9 sold for over $2K just a few months ago, and one just sold for around $900 if i recall....i know i bid $800....

THe fall is expected considering last year season's what caused the same card to go from $600 to over $2000....

hills and valleys....

• GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    Nows the time to BUY BUY BUY!

A-Rod is legit and WILL pass the HR record for sure.

• << <i>Nows the time to BUY BUY BUY!

A-Rod is legit and WILL pass the HR record for sure. >>

Yeah, I would not be so sure that he will break it. Alot of people said the same thing you did, only with Griffey passing Hank Aaron, and look how that turned out. In the game of baseball, nothing is a "for sure" until it happens.
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In the game of baseball, nothing is a "for sure" until it happens. >>

And then its not for sure because they go back and mark it with and asterisk.
  • his cards went up dramatically last season.

with his injury and the yanks in last place, it's not surprising his cards have gone down.

assuming he continues his pace...goes up the HR leader list....and eventually passes aaron and bonds...his cards will go up quite dramatically again.

ive held onto my arod rookies with this expectation.