Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Whats going on with ANACS?

I kinda didnt listen over the past 2 months. What is going on there? Same slabs? Chime me in.

Comments

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

i haven't dealt with them since the 80's..................so i'm cluelessimage
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    They had a rep at the Dulles show last weekend and he told me that they had received quite a number of submissions there.

I just had a customer come in the store who told me he gave them 112 coins at the show.

They are active and trying to do business.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    I told the rep at the show that I thought the last version of the holder was superior to the newest variant: the latter just has an amateurish appearance. The font is smaller and less crisp, the authentication sticker looks like it has been cut out by hand, the 'rolling' top edge makes it harder to read the printed information, especially when they are stored upright and you are peering down, and the reverse side of the coin is sunk too deep into the slab so as to distort the view. The rep told me that there had been a redesign because the old slabs were breaking apart too easily. He also said that reviews of the new slab were positive. So what do I know (nothing)?
  • Options
    jamesfsmjamesfsm Posts: 652 ✭✭
    maybe they'll listen
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Anacs appears to be grading tougher at this time in my opinion. Turn around is slow. I turned in coins at Grapvine Tx on about april 2 or 4th and just recieved them back a few days ago. I sent them in on the 16 day turnaround. I have heard that most of the graders are former IGC graders??
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I have heard that most of the graders are former IGC graders?? >>

I think you mean ICG.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The graders from ICG (except Cameron) were hired by ANACS following the move to Colorado. ICG, in turn, hired the former ANACS graders, who were laid off when ANACS made the move...

Edited to fix typo- thx 19lyds!
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    Top50SetBuilderTop50SetBuilder Posts: 930 ✭✭✭
    yes they are much tougher than before. In fact, i recently had a Hot Lips upgrade from a new ANACS 40 to a PCGS 45. They aer getting very conservative, and slow.
  • Options
    INXSINXS Posts: 1,202
    I dont use ANACS, the only thing I noticed is they are rubber stamping PR and MS70's coins for the TV hawkers.
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The graders from ICG (except Cameron) were hired by ICG following the move to Colorado. ICG, in turn, hired the former ANACS graders, who were laid off when ANACS made the move... >>

I know what you were trying to say Christian!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>yes they are much tougher than before. In fact, i recently had a Hot Lips upgrade from a new ANACS 40 to a PCGS 45. >>

Which grade did you agree with?
  • Options
    I sent them (ANACS) an 1861 Double Eagle that formerly was cracked out of an NGC slab (EF45) so that it could be placed in an album. ANACS graded it: "Cleaned EF 45 Details". I t seems like most coins from the "new" ANACS come back as being cleaned. BTW I saw no evidence of hairlines on this coin.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    They should be worried about DGS right now.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    I have used them 7 times this year and all I can say is they are VERY tough on Lincolns right now. But the one thing I really love about ANACS is they ship everything FEDEX. I love being able to track my returned items and I get them back in 2 days.
  • Options
    I wish they'd bring back the smaller white holders.
    David
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The graders from ICG (except Cameron) were hired by ICG following the move to Colorado. ICG, in turn, hired the former ANACS graders, who were laid off when ANACS made the move... >>

I know what you were trying to say Christian! >>

D'oh! Fixed now...image
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

<< <i>yes they are much tougher than before. In fact, i recently had a Hot Lips upgrade from a new ANACS 40 to a PCGS 45. They aer getting very conservative, and slow. >>

Unfortunately...this is the "rub" with ANACS... whether they grade correctly or not... the coins in their slabs seem to only get evaluated based on whether or not they can be crossed to PCGS or NGC...

At this time, I will no longer buy any coin in an ANACS holder unless I intend to crack it out...or am convinced it can cross... and I will not submit to them...to me it is the same as flushing cash down the toilet...

I have had 3 coins in my display cases for over 6 months now... 2 early date Walkers and an AU Bust half... I bought them on the basis of "buy the coin, not the holder"...they are nice original coins...properly graded (at least I think so)...

The problem is...NO ONE HAS EVEN ASKED TO LOOK AT THEM IN ALL THIS TIME...

I have sold over 200 coins from around these three during this time...and it is as if these ANACS coins are invisible or carry the plague...

They will most likely need to be cracked out in order to be sold...

And the last time I tried to sell any ANACS coins on ebay...they all ended at 25-40% behind bid...

Use ANACS at your own risk...if you intend to keep the coins and never sell them... fine... if you wish to sell them... good luck...

I did just recently buy a Seated Dollar in a blue ANACS holder...but with the intention of crossing it... it would never realize it's full value in that holder... it is a shame... but that is just the way the market is and kool aid drinkers keep on drinking...
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They were once a really top notch TPG company.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    With the caveat that my observations are highly unscientific (personal experience with submitting, reading forums, talking with dealers and collectors at shows) I do think that the latest incarnation of ANACS has become considerably stricter with its grading. I like the fact that they will soon employ a new, slab label so as to clearly delineate between those coins graded under the previous ownership(s) and the newest one. The acid test will be seeing whether recently graded coins trade for higher values than their older brethren.
  • Options
    Rob790Rob790 Posts: 547

<< <i>I have used them 7 times this year and all I can say is they are VERY tough on Lincolns right now. But the one thing I really love about ANACS is they ship everything FEDEX. I love being able to track my returned items and I get them back in 2 days. >>

I heard from them that they are no longer shipping by FedEx

Rob
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have used them 7 times this year and all I can say is they are VERY tough on Lincolns right now. But the one thing I really love about ANACS is they ship everything FEDEX. I love being able to track my returned items and I get them back in 2 days. >>

I heard from them that they are no longer shipping by FedEx

Rob >>

How come?

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options

<< <i>With the caveat that my observations are highly unscientific (personal experience with submitting, reading forums, talking with dealers and collectors at shows) I do think that the latest incarnation of ANACS has become considerably stricter with its grading. I like the fact that they will soon employ a new, slab label so as to clearly delineate between those coins graded under the previous ownership(s) and the newest one. The acid test will be seeing whether recently graded coins trade for higher values than their older brethren. >>

Again...I will simply cut & paste part of what I wrote in my post (on pg 1 of this thread) yesterday...

Unfortunately...this is the "rub" with ANACS... whether they grade correctly or not... the coins in their slabs seem to only get evaluated based on whether or not they can be crossed to PCGS or NGC...
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    They are STILL shipping everything FEDEX. I just received another FEDEX package yesterday from them.
  • Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    I believe they were/are shipping via FEDEX due to the processing delays. I would expect them to revert to Reg. USPS once they get caught up.
    I've been submitting to them recently, mostly Morgan VAMs. I can attest to the strict grading. However, not ALL coins submitted to them come back with the "cleaned" remark as one poster has claimed. Perhaps that poster submitted coins that were all cleaned to begin with.
    Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    'Unfortunately...this is the "rub" with ANACS... whether they grade correctly or not... the coins in their slabs seem to only get evaluated based on whether or not they can be crossed to PCGS or NGC...'

Your observation is probably accurate: most of the posts that I see about ANACS on this forum have to do with whether they will cross.... I just wonder whether ANACS will be able to change this? Probably not in the short-term (and maybe not ever)?
  • Options

<< <i>'Unfortunately...this is the "rub" with ANACS... whether they grade correctly or not... the coins in their slabs seem to only get evaluated based on whether or not they can be crossed to PCGS or NGC...'

Your observation is probably accurate: most of the posts that I see about ANACS on this forum have to do with whether they will cross.... I just wonder whether ANACS will be able to change this? Probably not in the short-term (and maybe not ever)? >>

ANACS probably has this stigma because it is the only one of the top 3 grading companies that will slab a "problem coin". As long as the coin is genuine, I think all the grading companies should slab a coin regardless of past cleanings, damage etc.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    ah yes, the changing flexible grading standards of the tpgs. ye of
    little faith rest assured the professionals know best.

price guides breaking out prices of coins with prices differing by
    large percentages with minute differences in coins between grades..
    it is for you the collector this is done :-P

this will all come tumbling down soon enough. it always does.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did they ever address the problem with their slabs being able to be opened and re-closed without detection?
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file