Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rock Tumbler or Vibrator for Restoring Cleaned Coins?

moosesrmoosesr Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭
I have been carrying several harshly cleaned VAM Morgan and Peace dollars around in my pockets hoping to bring them back to where they can be certified. I have been doing this for several months with only slight improvement. Has anyone on the forum successfully used a Rock Tumbler or Vibrator for restoring harshly cleaned coins?

Thanks,
Charlie

Comments

• Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    I think the results would look worse than the harshly cleaned coin you already have.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    if your gonna do this (the pocket thing) , to be really practical, you gotta have more then just dollars in the pocket. you must mix in smaller silver coins, too. dimes are the idea, maybe a roll of junk roosies. it DOES work, however can take awhile. a good idea is to polish the cleaned coins 1st so as to remove any randomized hairlines.

a pocket full of silver dollars don't get enough edge-to-surface contact to effectively abrade away the cleaning issues.

K S
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the dork, and vibrators only work on women.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856

<< <i>if your gonna do this (the pocket thing) , to be really practical, you gotta have more then just dollars in the pocket. you must mix in smaller silver coins, too. dimes are the idea, maybe a roll of junk roosies. it DOES work, however can take awhile. a good idea is to polish the cleaned coins 1st so as to remove any randomized hairlines.

a pocket full of silver dollars don't get enough edge-to-surface contact to effectively abrade away the cleaning issues.

K S >>

aka Dan
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Vibrator Tumbler as used in reloading gun ammo cartridges in Brass and Nickel leaves them Polished and Shinny looking once finished.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree with the dork, and vibrators only work on women. >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Take a good look a Native American jewelry with US Coins in their design, their coins are tumbled.

There would be less life on the surface of a tumbled coin then on Mars, as it would be like sandblasting.

IMHO this is not a solution for Restoring... Just Destroying.
  • Options
    dorkkarl... I have been carrying the silver dollars with a mixture of other smaller coins, but it has been taking so long to make progress I thought maybe the rock tumbler or vibrator would speed up the process.
  • Options
    the rock tumbler will definitely accelerate the process. i recommend it in fact.

the "pocket" method makes it more personal though.

if you do the tumbler, get some "clean dirt" ( a oxymoron if there ever was 1, basically you don't want any rocks, just organic material, preferably sifted, like manure, no i'm not kidding) & throw it in. keep decent moisture content as well. if it's too dry in the tumbler, you'll just end up w/ a bunch of scratchy coins. another good trick is to add in some machine oil.

it definitely DOES WORK, but you'll lose a little detail on all the coins.

K S
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

That's not what I heard. Ask judge David Young.image
  • Options
    dorkkarl... You don't recommend using other coins in the tumbler with the Morgans?
  • Options

So does a Vibrator! image
  • Options

<< <i>dorkkarl... You don't recommend using other coins in the tumbler with the Morgans? >>

you still should. in fact, the smaller coins should outweigh the morgans by a factor of maybe 2, ie. have 20 dimes per morgan. you need lots of the little coins to be impacting the larger surfaces frequently & randomly of the big coins so the resulting abrasions are more "natural".

jeeeeez, all this talk of "artificially wearing" down of coins is giving me the urge to get the old tumbler back out & "fix" some coins!!!

K S
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What would happen if you cut out a pant pocket, placed some pocket change in it, sewed it shut, then tumbled that? Just a thought.
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    What would happen if you cut out a pant pocket, placed some pocket change in it, sewed it shut, then tumbled that? Just a thought.

imageimage
  • Options
    Do you need a variable speed tumbler and what would be a good brand to buy?
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

PICS PICS PICS

Before and After

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broadstruck already gave the best answer... a cartridge cleaner with either walnut or corncob media will do the very best job... far better than any tumbler or pocket scheme.... and it will not take long.. an hour or two on high. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    If you tried UtahCoin sewn shut pocket with change method... wouldn't a empty washing machine on a spin cycle do about the same, or maybe the dryer image
  • Options
    ricko, I'm not sure if walnut or corncob media would be the way to go on a coin image
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you tried UtahCoin sewn shut pocket with change method... wouldn't a empty washing machine on a spin cycle do about the same, or maybe the dryer image >>

Just be sure to use a Taco Bell napkin instead of a regular fabric softener sheet in the dryer.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have been carrying several harshly cleaned VAM Morgan and Peace dollars around in my pockets hoping to bring them back to where they can be certified >>

I feel your pain here. I have an 1878 8TF VAM 5 that is absolutely trashed. I'll post pics this weekend.
  • Options
    orieorie Posts: 998
    the rock tumbler will definitely accelerate the process. i recommend it in fact

if you do the tumbler, get some "clean dirt" ( a oxymoron if there ever was 1, basically you don't want any rocks, just organic material, preferably sifted, like manure, no i'm not kidding) & throw it in. keep decent moisture content as well. if it's too dry in the tumbler, you'll just end up w/ a bunch of scratchy coins. another good trick is to add in some machine oil.

K S

The above works well. Clean dirt means dirt that has be heated to kill what's living in the soil. To get the moisture, pee is best. Morning pee is much better then night pee. If you have a few beers the night before so much the better.

• Options
    TavernTreasuresTavernTreasures Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    The same as I would not want to buy a coin with AT (artificial toning). I would not want to buy a cleaned coin that has been artificially worn down. Would it be ethical to sell an artifically worn down coin as original, to a unsuspecting buyer? Is doing this any different than what the coin doctors are doing with toning and putty? Is getting an artifically worn down coin into a holder some sort of an accomplishment?
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • Options
    I finally got a rock tumber and am trying to use it, but so far with no success. Does anyone have an example of a cleaned coin they have been able to get back to normal looking and into a TPG holder?
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Typically people don't want the excess weight of all those coins in their rock tumbler so they use ragbucks when trying to artificially wear down their cleaned coins.

Real coin wear will never happen until congress gets rid of the rag buck!

• Options
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tumblers are bad.. very bad for coins. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have been carrying several harshly cleaned VAM Morgan and Peace dollars around in my pockets hoping to bring them back to where they can be certified. I have been doing this for several months with only slight improvement. Has anyone on the forum successfully used a Rock Tumbler or Vibrator for restoring harshly cleaned coins?

Thanks,
    Charlie >>

The results would be the same if you had to dry a wet T-Shirt by sticking yourself in a hot clothes dryer and running it for 30 minutes.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have been carrying several harshly cleaned VAM Morgan and Peace dollars around in my pockets hoping to bring them back to where they can be certified >>

I feel your pain here. I have an 1878 8TF VAM 5 that is absolutely trashed. I'll post pics this weekend. >>

I got a 79 S VAM 34A that was cleaned, and im trying to do this.
  • Options
    I found a Better method image

Put your cleaned coins in your wife's car hubcaps.. Everyone will hear her coming & get out of the way !
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have been carrying several harshly cleaned VAM Morgan and Peace dollars around in my pockets hoping to bring them back to where they can be certified. >>

Why do you need them certified? Are you afraid they are counterfeit? If they are truly "harshly" cleaned... I am willing to bet that no amount of doctoring will make them "original" enough to be certified by PCGS.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    I own an obviously cleaned F-12 Barber half, with a reflective unnatural shine. I kept this half in my pocket with other change for a good year.
    Results:
    Even wear, down to VG, with natural toning around the devices.
    However, the polished look was still there! I was hoping for that unmistakable natural gray, dull appearance.
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720

<< <i>I finally got a rock tumber and am trying to use it, but so far with no success. Does anyone have an example of a cleaned coin they have been able to get back to normal looking and into a TPG holder? >>

You don't understand English do you? What language do you speak?
    You cannot restore a coin this way, and you'll only do more damage to it.
    The only holder you'll get your coin into after tumbling is one of those made and sold by Coin World.

Ray
  • Options

<< <i>if your gonna do this (the pocket thing) , to be really practical, you gotta have more then just dollars in the pocket. you must mix in smaller silver coins, too. dimes are the idea, maybe a roll of junk roosies. it DOES work, however can take awhile. a good idea is to polish the cleaned coins 1st so as to remove any randomized hairlines.

K S >>

Wouldn't "randomized hairlines" be what you want? It is hairlines that all go in the same direction that will bodybag a coin. Random is what you get from circulation.

Just wondering...

Jonathan
    I have been a collector for over mumbly-five years. I learn something new every day.
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

If you want to ruin it faster, get one of these........link
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What would happen if you cut out a pant pocket, placed some pocket change in it, sewed it shut... >>

Anything you put in your pants pocket would hit you in the foot. image
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>the rock tumbler will definitely accelerate the process. i recommend it in fact

K S

The above works well. Clean dirt means dirt that has be heated to kill what's living in the soil. To get the moisture, pee is best. Morning pee is much better then night pee. If you have a few beers the night before so much the better.

image >>

What planetary alignment is best for the morning to pee off excess beer? Would wearing a small quartz crystal work well? What is the luckiest date on the coin to make sure it will tumble well? 1888?

<< <i>I own an obviously cleaned F-12 Barber half, with a reflective unnatural shine. I kept this half in my pocket with other change for a good year.
    Results:
    However, the polished look was still there! I was hoping for that unmistakable natural gray, dull appearance. >>

I think it was TomB who wrote that the cotton used in making pocket liners will end up polishing coins.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it was TomB who wrote that the cotton used in making pocket liners will end up polishing coins. >>

Interesting
  • Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭
    A tumbler will work.
    But only if it is half full of tequila.
    Try it. After that, you won't give a sh*t what your coins look like.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>the rock tumbler will definitely accelerate the process. i recommend it in fact

K S

image >>

What planetary alignment is best for the morning to pee off excess beer? Would wearing a small quartz crystal work well? What is the luckiest date on the coin to make sure it will tumble well? 1888?

<< <i>I own an obviously cleaned F-12 Barber half, with a reflective unnatural shine. I kept this half in my pocket with other change for a good year.
    Results:
    However, the polished look was still there! I was hoping for that unmistakable natural gray, dull appearance. >>

I think it was TomB who wrote that the cotton used in making pocket liners will end up polishing coins. >>

They've pretty much been like that for the past one hundred years. I wonder how coins from this area got certified??
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW.......

Just think it was only a day or so ago that someone here wanted to out, expose all the DOCTORS out there.

Now lookie here they are all exposing themselfs and their secrets, with and without the vibrator.

keep talking boys
  • Options

imageLMAO that was just to funny
    I tried it with Old crusty Roman coins, 1 at a time and superfine grit 1 hour at a time, it did a great job image
    Ebay Seller I.D
    the_northern_trading_company
    ace@airadv.net
    imageimage
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭
    Wow Daniel I've seen that one before but looking at the previous post then your coin in the next frame.

I think I have a Constantine AS around here somewhere that has a similar design (not exactly the same but guessing thats where you got your inspiration from).
    I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options
    You could also try using a commercial potato pealer. It works good for potatos and pealing fish skins.... why not coins?
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    Or you could put the tumbled coin in an Idaho spud and bake it at 450 for about 30 min. That should do away with any unnatural sheen.

If you want to wear a coin then circulate it. If you want to speed up circulation then rub it between your thumb and forefingers everday and stick it in your pocket with other coins and carry it around for 2 years. That will simulate about 20 years of normal circulation. But it takes patience. Unfortunately in today's instant gratification society, no one has patience anymore.
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    I've developed, based on my experience with antique furniture restoration, a surefire way for slabbing previously cleaned coins. First you get:censored:censored:censoredimagedrag the coin through it for:censoredimage, then :censored:censored:censoredimage. When you :censoredimage get a :censored:censored:censored:censored:censored:censored:censoredimage and put it on top of the :censoredimagefor two months. Viola! You'll thank me later.image
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options

<< <i>Or you could put the tumbled coin in an Idaho spud and bake it at 450 for about 30 min. That should do away with any unnatural sheen.

If you want to wear a coin then circulate it. If you want to speed up circulation then rub it between your thumb and forefingers everday and stick it in your pocket with other coins and carry it around for 2 years. That will simulate about 20 years of normal circulation. But it takes patience. Unfortunately in today's instant gratification society, no one has patience anymore. >>

That sound like too much work... I like my idea better image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file