Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Wondercoin--How do you translate "reworking the weightings"

Mitch--

The registry news indicates a reworking of the weights on the Washington set this week.

1. Does that mean only changing the weightings?

2. Changing the weightings and the composition?

3. Changing the composition to eliminate the recent additions per the new basic/variety approach.

I know you da' man. Share the wisdom.
Bill

My Other Hobby

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Mitch--

The registry news indicates a reworking of the weights on the Washington set this week.

1. Does that mean only changing the weightings?

2. Changing the weightings and the composition?

3. Changing the composition to eliminate the recent additions per the new basic/variety approach.

I know you da' man. Share the wisdom."

Bill: I have had no contact with PCGS regarding their strategies/changes. But, I would expect PCGS to do a couple things:

1. Figure out a way to make condition rarity rewarded beyond multiplying the base weight times the grade. For example, the 1956(p) Wash Quarter (pop 1) would get 68 points under the present system (rarity "1" times grade 68). Meanwhile, an VF-35 1932(d) quarter would get 350 points (rarity "10" times 35). Heck, we all know I have offered $6000 sight-unseen for an MS68 silver quarter (see terms and conditions). Yet, the roughly $100 valued 1932(d) quarter receives more than 5x the points of the coin worth no less than $6000 (and worht even more obviously to those seriously pursuing the quarter set). Again, there is no substitute to the way NGC ranked these coins imho, but a change here to reward condition rarity would be another "baby step" by PCGS in the right direction, imho.

2. Of course, we know that varieties will only be contained in a separate registry set (at least that is what I think we heard). But, again, does that mean that the accented hair Kennedy is now out of the regular set, etc?? Not sure?

Bill, in summary, my guess is weighting changes will essentially take a crack at correcting the serious obvious flaw of PCGS' weightings not rewarding condition rarities. Beyond that, I really have no idea what they intend to do. Should be interesting. In the meantime, if anyone has finest known Washington quarters to sell, I'm buying image Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Mitch (and others, of course)--

Any guesses on how they would include condition rarity? Doesn't seem like they're moving to two dimensional weighting. Maybe add on points for grades over 66?

Conditional rarity doesn't seem to fit they're program very well. It'll be interesting.
    Bill

My Other Hobby