Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

VAM's that arrived today in the mail Hot Lips, 21-S 1B5, and EDS Scarface

Think there's any chance the Hot Lips would slab? I'm thinking too many hairlines from cleaning.

I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

Comments

• Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭
    VAM 1B EDS Scarface

I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

• Options
    Thornhead 1B5

• Options
    lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Vams....although, I dont believe the Hot Lips will grade, in my opinion.
    In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking the hot lips probably won't grade, which is too bad, since it looks like AU50 to me, which is high grade for that one.
  • Options
    Nice pick-ups,but i'm with the others on the Hot Lips.BB
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    The thorhead is nice. The EDS scarface is a common coin that is still a decent pickup if you can get it for common money. The hot lips is a heartbreaker. If it was a lower grade one, I think it would go. They sometimes dismiss a light cleaning on a more worn grade (< XF). Yours is a VERY nice grade and that hurts it in this respect. Don't put it in a rock tumbler though. I think, in time, it will be in demand even with the hairlines and bear a decent premium.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options

<< <i>The thorhead is nice. The EDS scarface is a common coin that is still a decent pickup if you can get it for common money. >>

Every one shown above cost around 20 each plus shipping. Two of the three had bad pics and I could only go on what I "thought" I saw in the sellers pics.

• Options
    Get finds - I'm no expert so I may sound like an idiot going against the experts, but I think there may be a remote possibility that the hot lips could slab. Just in case I would make it a pocket piece for a few months first.

Edited to add: Here is my hot lips pocket piece. It goes well with my 89 oval O and my 80/79. I love the sound of silver in the pocket. 6 months ago the hot lips was a harsh cleaned AU. Now getting close to submission it may go XF.

Life member of the SSDC
  • Options
    eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    Very nice finds!!!! I would have to agree on the bb for the hotlips....too good of a strike for them to ignore the lines...
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Get finds - I'm no expert so I may sound like an idiot going against the experts, but I think there may be a remote possibility that the hot lips could slab. Just in case I would make it a pocket piece for a few months first.

Edited to add: Here is my hot lips pocket piece. It goes well with my 89 oval O and my 80/79. I love the sound of silver in the pocket. 6 months ago the hot lips was a harsh cleaned AU. Now getting close to submission it may go XF.

image >>

Certainly looks slabable from that photo.
  • Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty confident the Hot Lips will grade at PCGS or NGC, probably AU50 or 53. It's been dipped, but nearly enough so to keep it out of a holder.

I'd wager money on it.
  • Options
    Sorry to bring this up again, but goldeneye was going to wager that it would get slabbed.......

Paul was this one of the monster coins you just got back? If so what grade? - referencing the hot lips..........
    Life member of the SSDC
  • Options
    Yep that is the one that graded AU55.

I've came to a conclusion over the last half a year. My photos generally bring out every small scratch or fault on a coin. Pretty much every coin I've sent in for grading I've estimated lower than the actual grade from the photos. The only one I've been blown away on was the 84 O VAM-10 on last submission which looked every bit of MS64 to me and AU58 to them. Not that high dollar or tough of a VAM on the 84 O so I didnt sweat it. My eyes arent the best in the world so I usually rely on photos for feeling out a Morgan (thank God for my loupe/QX3 when it comes to VAMs).

PS. A secondary thing I've noticed is that plastic forgives a little on scratches/hairlines. I've photo'd a few of my Morgans and a raw AU55 $5 1911 Half Eagle before and after plastic, The photos always look better after slabbing.

• Options
    Sweet, thats all I can say.
    Life member of the SSDC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file