Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When will the Presidential dollars be relegated to mint set only status?

renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
In the first year each successive Presidential dollar has decreased in mintage (bank demand).

Washington 340K
Adams 224k
Jefferson 203k
Madison 172k

And thus far in 2008

Monroe 125k

2009 may still have bank orders, but until the paper dollar is replaced by these, I would think that 2010 will be mint set only dollars.

BTW, these "dollar-tokens" are starting to grow on me...maybe it's the John Adams series on HBO.

Ren

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or will they become like JFK halves?
  • Options
    OneCentOneCent Posts: 3,561
    My son and I are collecting a date set in a Littleton coin album hoping that will develop some nice toning over the years. I personally have no interest in these as collectibles but I do believe that they are a good historical reference for presidents. They do not circulate and likely never will. Small dollars have never caught on in this country...simply too heavy and cumbersome as compared to a couple of ragbucks.

I also would anticipate that these coins will be relegated to lower and lower production pops and eventually to mint sets. Just my humble opinion of course.

As an aside, these seem to tone very quickly in albums.
    imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Third year, just like the 1973 Ikes, 1981 SBA's, 2002 Sacagaweas.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My son and I are collecting a date set in a Littleton coin album hoping that will develop some nice toning over the years. I personally have no interest in these as collectibles but I do believe that they are a good historical reference for presidents. They do not circulate and likely never will. Small dollars have never caught on in this country...simply too heavy and cumbersome as compared to a couple of ragbucks.

I also would anticipate that these coins will be relegated to lower and lower production pops and eventually to mint sets. Just my humble opinion of course.

As an aside, these seem to tone very quickly in albums. >>

How many Sacs have you seen tone nicely? They may tone, and tone quickly, but I am not holding out a lot of hope on nice toners....at least, not naturally (in an album is fine but I don't see it)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    The US Government will eventually eliminate the paper dollar. When that occurs, look for the usage to climb radically. Lots of folks use change on a regular basis and all the baloney about them being too cumbersome to carry is just that, baloney. The only drawback to the Presidential Dollars at this point in time is the paper dollar. When that is eliminated, stors, markets, and local businesses will be forced to work them into their daily routines and people will start using them. It may take 18 months from when the paper buck stops but it will happen.

I'm thinking that 2009 will see very low mintages with this coin, which will bring action from congress to keep the series going. That action can only be the elimination of the paper GW then it'll be smooth sailing.

Look for some key dates to show up in the very near future.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I always carry a roll of the presidential dollars in my pocket. I make a habit of using them to pay for small stuff: snacks, coffee, etc. I know that doing so is a forlorn attempt to get them circulating, but it is really no inconvenience to me at all. On a humorous note, it never ceases to amaze me when a friendly cashier 'freezes' for a moment after I hand them a couple of these coins. They briefly exhibit a look of absolute befuddlement, like a circuit board shorting out, that screams out 'what the **** do I do with these?' Often times, I am convinced that they just drop the coins into a random compartment and figure out how to sort them later.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

we're doomed..............................................EVERYTHING IS GOING PLASTIC!!image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The US Government will eventually eliminate the paper dollar. When that occurs, look for the usage to climb radically. Lots of folks use change on a regular basis and all the baloney about them being too cumbersome to carry is just that, baloney. The only drawback to the Presidential Dollars at this point in time is the paper dollar. When that is eliminated, stors, markets, and local businesses will be forced to work them into their daily routines and people will start using them. It may take 18 months from when the paper buck stops but it will happen.

I'm thinking that 2009 will see very low mintages with this coin, which will bring action from congress to keep the series going. That action can only be the elimination of the paper GW then it'll be smooth sailing.

Look for some key dates to show up in the very near future. >>

I agree, the dollar will go away but with the resistance it has gotten it will take time to prepare everyone.

I figure it will be at least 2012 before the paper dollar goes away.

As far as mint set only status it really depends on how the above goes. If ti will be at least 10 year before paper goes away then I agree, we could see mint set only status by about 2010.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    Lots of folks use change on a regular basis and all the baloney about them being too cumbersome to carry is just that, baloney.

i would beg to differ. almost everyone here probably has a change
    basket or jar, that we toss our change into on a DAILY basis.

myself? i never start the day carrying change. i keep a few spare
    quarters in the car for parking meters but even those take bills
    and CCs now days in major NH cities.

the buying power of coins is absolutely ridiculous and one would
    need a fistful to even buy a starbucks coffee.

5 golden pee dollars for a pack of smokes is just hilarious. you better
    have pants on with suspenders or a good belt.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    I figure it will be at least 2012 before the paper dollar goes away.

the dollar is not going anywhere. if they even try to remove it watch
    the public uproar take place and it quickly resumes being printed.

the dollar bill is today's modern "change". that is exactly the reason
    vending machines now accept it readily.

---
    edited to add: my guess on the original posters question is that our
    govt/mint will continue to mint them because they want to keep up
    appearances that they know what they are doing. to stop minting
    them for circ is admitting they are a clueless bunch of dough sacks.
  • Options
    Against the EURO, it don't matter if it is paper, coin, or plastic dollar. It's still not worth much in the world.
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • Options

<< <i>I always carry a roll of the presidential dollars in my pocket.

Hey! Is that a roll of presidential dollars in your pocket or are you just a "happy" numismatist.image

Ren
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    << When will the Presidential dollars be relegated to mint set only status? >>

Not during the term of production - there will have to be at least mint and proof set strikes.

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Against the EURO, it don't matter if it is paper, coin, or plastic dollar. It's still not worth much in the world. >>

The Euro is in a bubble -- it's way overvalued relative to the dollar. Their fundamentals aren't THAT much better than the U.S. dollar's, but the momentum players and "hot money" have bid it up to moon money. We may already be seeing the Euro coming down to earth in a selloff that began last week.
  • Options
    I just checked the Mint's website on production for this year. Under GD (golden dollar=Sac) a big goose egg, zero production. Did the Mint forget or make a MISTAKE by not counting the "illegal" 2008 Sacs minted late last year according to CW?

Ren
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just checked the Mint's website on production for this year. Under GD (golden dollar=Sac) a big goose egg, zero production. Did the Mint forget or make a MISTAKE by not counting the "illegal" 2008 Sacs minted late last year according to CW?

Ren >>

Dey probably ain't been mono-tized yet!!!!!!!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>5 golden pee dollars for a pack of smokes is just hilarious. you better
    have pants on with suspenders or a good belt. >>

Five presidential dollar coins weigh less than an ounce and a half. You can't put that much weight in your pocket without making your pants fall down? image
  • Options

<< <i>Third year, just like the 1973 Ikes, 1981 SBA's, 2002 Sacagaweas. >>

do you think it'll take that long?image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>5 golden pee dollars for a pack of smokes is just hilarious. you better
    have pants on with suspenders or a good belt. >>

Five presidential dollar coins weigh less than an ounce and a half. You can't put that much weight in your pocket without making your pants fall down? image >>

I would like to see some larger denomination coins, say $5, $10, and $20. Plus, it would allow the mint to come out with some really new coin designs for circulation coins. A friend of mine went to Europe and he said they have a large denomination coins. He said that after a few days he had a pocket full of change, but it was worth 60-70 Euro or whatever he was spending.
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    It depends on who is in the White House. If friends of the President are making money selling metal to the Treasury, they will continue to mint them. When the Treasury’s vaults are filled they will rent vault space in banks controlled by friends of the President. When the bank vaults are filled, they will rent space in abandoned mine shafts owned by friends of the President. When the mine shafts are filled they will send them to Iraq, where they will be guarded by employees of Blackwater and Halliburton under no-bid contracts.

CG
  • Options
    Soon I hope.....I am not even ordering the new set. However we have ordered the Bald Eagles Halves and they are doing well.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i><< When will the Presidential dollars be relegated to mint set only status? >>

Not during the term of production - there will have to be at least mint and proof set strikes. >>

Actually, the coins will be available in rolls and bags for as long as they are made in addition to mint sets, proofs sets, dollar sets, and whatever else the mint can dream up for us to part with our money!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Third year, just like the 1973 Ikes, 1981 SBA's, 2002 Sacagaweas. >>

do you think it'll take that long?image >>

Well, it took a little longer than I thought...year six...(can still get rolls).

I know this is now old news but the coin of interest to me now is the 2012-D Harrison dollar at 1,540,000....lowest circ-strike (and/or collector version) dollar since 1934(?) sans satins. It's difficult to figure since there have been so many versions of dollars since 1971. I see singles on the 'bay running around 4+ bucks. Will this spark new interest in the series?
  • Options
    Snowman24Snowman24 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    i wouldn't count on that Harrison total to remain where it it, plus we have a couple more months before they go on sale

i know with the Arthur mintage totals was increased even after the release date, so i would assume these would too

i'm guessing the mint will make as many as they can sell

I wish they would do the direct ship again- even if they were all mixed up dates
  • Options
    Snowman24Snowman24 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    the US Mint has updated the mintage and now its alot more ...alot, alot more

i thought they were going to cut back alot on these coins ??
  • Options

<< <i>the US Mint has updated the mintage and now its alot more ...alot, alot more

i thought they were going to cut back alot on these coins ?? >>

...the only thing that was cut back was the fact that we're unable to get these coins for face value at the banks anymore. image
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    when there's no more room in the warehouse

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For commerce, I hope they stay, for numismatics, I consider them a waste. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file