Home U.S. Coin Forum

Any premium on proof gold?

I''ve been holding my numismatic gold - $10 Indians mostly- and I already sold my bullion to put a roof on the house (I timed to sell on the low as usual), but I've got a 4 piece proof set (2000 but it doesn't seem to matter) which contains a 1oz., half oz., quarter oz. and tenth oz. proof in a case - 1.85 oz. total., and I know someone is going to say they're worth what I get, but what would be a reasonable premium on proof gold, if any?
"If someone says 'A penny for your thoughts' and you give them your 2 cents worth, what happens to the extra penny?" G.Carlin

Comments

• wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭
    Most dealers would buy it around $30-$40 per ounce over spot and sell at $60-$70 per ounce over (assuming you have all the original packaging and COA).

WH
  • hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
    Please name a few dealers that will pay anything over spot for proof gold. My local dealers will not.
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    I would albeit a very small premium for the modern stuff and only for as much as I felt comfortable buying .
  • gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    In Chicago, it would be very difficult to locate any dealer who would even pay spot on modern proof gold, let alone any premium at all.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think proof means crud. Gold is gold is gold. That's what it is and that's what it's worth.
    Government, the Mint, makes way too much of the stuff to command any premium. Heck, there
    are MS gold worth more than PR gold because it is actually more rare.
    Hmmmmmmmm
    bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt one can get a premium from most dealers. But it seems reasonable paying spot for proof GAE's. I know I would.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • I think wondercoin is buying proof sets at a small premium....there should be thread to follow on the BST. Or search it.

Snap Dragon
  • GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    You should be able to fair over spot via eBay.
  • percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Most dealers would buy it around $30-$40 per ounce over spot and sell at $60-$70 per ounce over (assuming you have all the original packaging and COA).

WH >>

I can buy it for like $15 over spot...check around.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You should be able to fair over spot via eBay. >>

And lose it on commissions........
  • Doesn't really help in this case, but if selling 10oz or more, Tulving's standing offer for MS GAEs is $24 over spot. I believe they go a bit higher on proof. -Ben
  • In today's market, gold is gold. Any premium will be relatively small.
  • I started this thread 2 years ago. Is there any change? Still little or no premium on proof gold?
    "If someone says 'A penny for your thoughts' and you give them your 2 cents worth, what happens to the extra penny?" G.Carlin
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's 3 years ago image
    LCoopie = Les
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All gold eagles bring a premium over spot. There has always been a better premium for proof gold eagles, particullarly the 4 coin sets. I'd say the raw 4 coin proof set brings $200+ more than a raw unc. 4 coin set. Check ebay's completed items to see what buyers have been paying.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file