Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Another novice's Question, this about dealers with ANA designation.

percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
What does the ANA designation that dealers display suppose to represent or intend to represent??
"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley

Comments

• Options
    nothing. sorry, i am drinking tonight.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    The ANA has a set of rules that a dealer must follow to maintain membership.

Many dealers ignore the rules and they have to be reported for violation for the ANA to do anything about it.

There are rules on pricing, how to treat people and proper ways to ship coins. It's actually good stuff if anyone would take the time to read them.
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    thanks!
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The ANA has a set of rules that a dealer must follow to maintain membership.

Many dealers ignore the rules and they have to be reported for violation for the ANA to do anything about it.

There are rules on pricing, how to treat people and proper ways to ship coins. It's actually good stuff if anyone would take the time to read them. >>

Ya' know, any time I've ever bought coins via mail order (long time ago) I always trusted the ANA logo that indicated the dealer was an affiliate member. I still perceive value from the eBay or other internet dealer who proudly displays his or her ANA emblem indicating membership and thus adherence to ANAs guidelines/ethices of code of conduct governing member selling activities. Unfortunately in the past 4 years I have become more suspect of dealers displaying the ANA emblem, not because the dealers have become suspect, but rather because the ANAs standards/motives have become suspect.

But overall I still trust dealers displaying the ANA emblem over those who do not.
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    pb2ypb2y Posts: 1,461
    I am drinking also. Some of you people are talking
    out of both sides of your typewriter. They are great
    and then not so great.. Why not get bold and just
    say what you mean. Guts have more value than
    than two sided BS. And keep it short.
    ANS is a phony crock of crap--with a fee added.

• Options
    I said that jokingly. I have only heard afew good things about the ANA. I have read many bad. The thing I keep thinking of is when they pulled the gold medal thingy from 50year members. it just didnt sound right to me. Plus all the other drama. It just sounds like it could be better. imho. But there was just a thread here earlier about them banning a dealer for being, well, not a good dealer. Maybe I just need to talk to afew more members and see how it is.

I dont consider that BS though.
  • Options
    You don't drink enough. Or maybe you might
    drink to much. The issue here seems to be
    the ANA. Who started started this crap?.

• Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What does the ANA designation that dealers display suppose to represent or intend to represent?? >>

would be best to explore here

ANA Dealer Code
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    <<You don't drink enough. Or maybe you might
    drink to much. The issue here seems to be
    the ANA. Who started started this crap?. >>

yeah the op was asking a question.

wtf is your problem?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Pines used to display the ANA logo in his Coast to Coast Coins ads in Coin World. Not any more.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

yes the ana is a great organization. too bad some dealers misbehave. they certainly should be reported when they do imo. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    When coin dealers are barred from joining
    the ANA, I will join. Until then is remains
    a soundboard for crooks and blowhards.
    Many of them have been exposed on this Forum.

• Options
    From what I have read on these forums, members were so fed up with the lack of any real decision making, and just plain old doing whats best for the members they represent, many didnt re-up their memberships....basically it was like having a third nipple....'whats it doing there', 'what purpose does it serve', 'how do i get rid of it'. There was one dealer, I think it was Contursi (99% sure, but not 100%), that was offering to pay for your second year if you signed up. I would love to know the actual number that took him up on it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file