Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How Many have photos of their coins

Just curious how many collector's have photos of all the coins in their core collections. I see many threads requesting photos of this type coin or another and many seem to be able to post something very quickly. I do not have photos of any of my coins although it has crossed my mind to take some if it wouldn't be so time consuming for me. Always tomorrow.
Crazy old man from Missouri

Comments

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I find it adds another dimension to the collecting experience. It is a lot of fun to try and take accurate pictures. It takes a lot of practice and is very satisfying.

Once taken they can all be stored someplace like photobucket and are available within a couple of clicks.
  • Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My computer doesn't have room for pictures of all of my coin... and it would take me a year to take the photos. But, I do like having photos of the best coins in my collection.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options

<< <i>I find it adds another dimension to the collecting experience. It is a lot of fun to try and take accurate pictures. It takes a lot of practice and is very satisfying.

Once take they can all be stored someplace like photobucket and are available within a couple of clicks. >>

Couldn't agree more!!!

imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options
    After pulling my hair out for a couple of years trying to get a decent picture
    and then weirding right out on getting it to post something dawned on me.

I've never enjoyed photography and I really don't like monkeying around taking a
    picture of anything. So, Mark Goodman was hired!! And I've been happy ever since.

Now, scanning notes is a different story. That's a blast. I don't know why the difference.

Jerry
  • Options
    I have photos of all the PCGS/NGC slabbed coins in my collection for inclusion in my registry sets.
    aka Dan
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have photos of some. I haven't had a chance to block off all the time I'd need to take all of them. I have more pictures of others' coins than I do mine, probably.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Check our my Mercs. You will see plenty of images. With them locked in the SDB I still get to see them.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    yevrahyevrah Posts: 143 ✭✭
    I have photos of about 98%. All of my Registry sets have photos. Most are fully imaged. Any of the photos especially in my Morgan set that are both sides in one photo are pics from the old PCGS Regsitry version.

yevrah/harvey

ebay ID: 78terp
    ANA # R-3143946

1899 Mint Set
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although I could never get my own pictures to come out right, I do have photos of all my coins...I get them from the dealer when I buy a coin or I pay to have pics taken. Pictures are a great way to enjoy a collection safely, without having to go to the SDB.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Photos of all? No.
    Photos of many? Yes.

Hard part is that since many are toned, the photos are often difficult to take and get just right image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm a fan of photobucket but have produced a few albums and posters of certain coins
    and collections as well.

image >>

Nice. I have a collection of birds and butterflies going for my own education and have done as you have. I don't do that with my coin fotos though....just keep them at photobucket, for now anyway.

Do you print your own or order them from Kodak or some other reputable printer?
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    I have over a terabyte of pics on my server.....figuring 6 shots of pup's for VAM including 10 (5 obv,5 rev) at 20% rotation and 2 different lighting shots. Figure half are of my wheatie varieties and the other half Morgans.

I need another life....image
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have over a terabyte of pics on my server.....figuring 6 shots of pup's for VAM including 10 (5 obv,5 rev) at 20% rotation and 2 different lighting shots. Figure half are of my wheatie varieties and the other half Morgans.

I need another life....image >>

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    I photograph every coin that I have. Then I put the coin into the safety deposit box. That way I can see my collection any time I want and have some peace of mind too.
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Some, but not all. I got the cert. numbers of the slabs though.
  • Options
    i love taing coin pics, im a beginer and still learning. i have most of my core shot, but still need many pics of others in my sets.

i love the album idea though. maybe with alittle more time and knowledge.
  • Options
    I am not even close on my photos... Soo many left to photo.
  • Options
    I have photos of some of my coins, definitely not all, although I am trying to weed my collection down to a core. I will eventually get them all imaged, but I am in no hurry. Currently, I take pictures for one of three reasons (mainly), to sell the coin, to post here, or to review prior to submitting to PCGS.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I choose to keep all my coins in a series of safe deposit boxes so I have images of quite a few of my pieces.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm a fan of photobucket but have produced a few albums and posters of certain coins
    and collections as well.

image >>

That album is very cool imageimage
  • Options
    Any coin that is worth putting in a Safe Deposit box is worth having an image of. Also the image can enlarged for the older collectors.
  • Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭
    Yes I have a page on my website for personal use that has some of the coins in my collection. 2MB high resolution photos can be helpful on remembering a small detail.
    I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    I have scans of most of my early registry coins and I bought a digital SLR to photo my coins I just haven't perfected my imaging enough to start posting these yet.
  • Options
    Just getting around to doing that, hoping that I can get decent pics so I can view them while the actual coins sit in the bank. Then learn how to post and share some of them here! Must admit its a bit daunting with all the stellar photos that show up around here.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I do have images of some of my coins. However, most of them do not have images.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I don't bother.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options

<< <i>I don't bother. >>

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't bother. >>

That's what happens when you can't take a good picture.image
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭
    I am photographically challenged.

However, my wife got me as a present a session with a professional photographer to document my collection (13 coins). What a woman! It will be interesting to see what comes out of a really top notch professional with absolutely no coin photography experience. Results will be posted when this comes to pass.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am in the process of photographing the whole collection. The advantages:

1) If they get stolen, you have proof of ownership that could help with their identification and recovery.

2) Putting together photo albums of my sets helps focus my collecting needs. Ugly coins that need to be replaced stick out like a sore thumb.

3) Relieves boredom at work.
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Of course, and many of the higher priced coins are not (and should not!!!) be kept at home, so it's nice to be able to see them whenever. Plus, coin photography offers a rewarding challenge and sort of a mini-hobby within the coin hobby.

Mark
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options

<< <i>I am photographically challenged.

However, my wife got me as a present a session with a professional photographer to document my collection (13 coins). What a woman! It will be interesting to see what comes out of a really top notch professional with absolutely no coin photography experience. Results will be posted when this comes to pass. >>

That sounds great. Please share the results and what you learn. image
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Any coin that is worth putting in a Safe Deposit box is worth having an image of. Also the image can enlarged for the older collectors. >>

Boy do I ever agree with you on this!!!!!

Oh and the PCGS Registery is a excellent place to host images of your coins and sets.image
  • Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My computer doesn't have room for pictures of all of my coin... and it would take me a year to take the photos. But, I do like having photos of the best coins in my collection. >>

That's why God made CDs and DVDs.

Taking pictures is part of the fun to me, but I have always been a photog.

As stated in prior threads, all you need is a decent digital camera (with a Super Macro setting), a tripod, and some lights.

Of course some people go way out...
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine are on my iMac screen saver so I see flashes of my coins as I'm posting or working. I also have a bunch at photobucket.

Ren
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    You know, I just this week brought my coins home from the SDB to photograph. It took an hour or so (I don't have that many coins) and then back to the SDB they went! I have yet to crop them and whatnot, but the imaging part is done image
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have photos of all my coins. It's a great way to enjoy them while they are locked up at the bank.

What do you want to see?? image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

<< <i>I have photos of all my coins. It's a great way to enjoy them while they are locked up at the bank.

What do you want to see?? image >>

All of them of course. image
  • Options
    I second that.
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭
    100%
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file