Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

American Buffalo 2008 Celebration Coin on sale at noon Eastern Time Feb. 5 from the U.S. Mint...PR a

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
Lucky Buffalo: Mint Offers 2008 Celebration Coin
By Numismatic News
January 31, 2008

Set to go on sale at noon Eastern Time Feb. 5 from the U.S. Mint is a new product called the American Buffalo 2008 Celebration Coin.

It consists of a 2008 American Buffalo one-ounce bullion coin in special packaging.

The numeral "8" has positive associations of wealth and prosperity in some Asian cultures, and the red coloring of the case and plush packaging is also associated with good fortune.

A custom-designed certificate of authenticity is enclosed, featuring the signature and chop mark (stamp in Chinese characters) of the Mint Director Ed Moy.

Timing of the on-sale date is set to precede the Lunar New Year, which begins Feb. 7.

Purchase price of the American Buffalo 2008 Celebration Coin is $1,018.88. It will be available directly from the Mint via its usual sales methods, including its Web site at www.usmint.gov. To order, call (800) 872-6468.

This is the first in a U.S. Mint Celebration Series, Mint information states. The series is intended to reach out to Americans who don't ordinarily collect coins, to provide products for gift giving and to celebrate special occasions.

The U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing has had several similar products for years, including a Prosperity Note series and a Lucky Money series that features lunar calendar animals on the packaging.

NN Link

Comments

• Options
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options
    Another "special packaging" gimmick, LOL. Gotta admit they are getting more creative all the time.
  • Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if that price will stand with the violatilty of precious metals?
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

second time I've made this comment..

<< <i>I can't believe it .. I'm still waiting for the $.50 Presidential Pet series to start along with the $1 V.P. commem. series. >>

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    If gold were lower they could have gone with $888 or $888.88
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If gold were lower they could have gone with $888 or $888.88 >>

Or $1888.89 if gold were higher. The Mint really knows how to market their products nowadays.
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder if that price will stand with the violatilty of precious metals? >>

These will likely be a limited offering and at that price, a quick sellout considering as of today it costs $976 to buy a regular bullion issue from Kitco. Maybe PCGS will designate them being it will be an ongoing series?
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭
    And the coin will have burnished surface W mint mark image
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    $1018 wow, it sort of really puts the market in perspective. It seems like just last year you could buy an ounce on e-bay for $600.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've finally have come to realize that the Mint..A) Is "milking" the collectors for all it's worth ... B) Flippers don't stand a chance unless they do some research first. I will not be sucked into this one either.....image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.. that is some price tag.... not for me.... I will be selling MY gold at that price ..... soon. image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put me down for 8.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    February 1, 2008

United States Mint Launches 24-Karat Gold American Buffalo 2008 Celebration Coin on February 5

Gold Coin Offered to Celebrate the Year 2008

WASHINGTON, D.C. - 24-karat gold coins from the new United States Mint Celebration Series will go on sale at noon on Tuesday, February 5, 2008, in time for the Lunar New Year beginning February 7. The American Buffalo 2008 Celebration Coin is a special numismatic product, featuring a 24-Karat American Buffalo Gold Coin, being introduced in the year 2008 because the number "8" is traditionally associated with wealth and prosperity in Asian-American cultures.

"In many Asian cultures, there is a tradition of buying gold for loved ones to show how much you care for them," said United States Mint Director Edmund C. Moy. The United States Mint Celebration Series is an outreach initiative to Americans who are not already collecting coins. The first special numismatic product in the series, the American Buffalo 2008 Celebration Coin, will be available to all interested purchasers.

"The introduction of the American Buffalo 2008 Celebration Coin will be an exceptional opportunity for both first-time Asian-American buyers, as well as our long-term gold coin collectors," Director Moy continued.

The product will be offered with bullion coins only and will be available directly from the United States Mint. The one-ounce 24-karat gold coin is legal tender with a $50.00 face value and contains .9999 gold. The price for this product is $1,018.88; however, as with all precious metal numismatic products, a future pricing change may be required.

To protect their pristine finish, the coins are packaged in the required protective covering and placed in a bright red plush United States Mint gift box with a specially-decorated red sleeve. A custom-designed certificate of authenticity is enclosed, featuring the signature and chop mark (stamp in Chinese characters) of Director Moy.

The American Buffalo 2008 Celebration Coin is a 2008 American Buffalo Gold Bullion coin, and bears the original designs of the revered Buffalo Nickel of 1913, Type 1. The iconic James Earle Fraser image of an American bison graces the reverse (tails side), and Fraser's classic design of an American Indian is featured on the obverse (heads side), along with the inscription "2008."

The coin has inscriptions of the coin's weight, denomination and fineness incused on the reverse (buffalo side) in the design area commonly known as the "grassy mound." The inscriptions read "$50," "1 OZ" and ".9999 FINE GOLD."

As part of the new United States Mint Celebration Series, the United States Mint will explore introducing various numismatic coin products that are packaged and positioned to celebrate special gift-giving occasions and events. The American Buffalo 2008 Celebration Coin is part of a pilot program to test the viability of this initiative.

There is no set product limit for the American Buffalo 2008 Celebration Coin. Customers may order these coins directly from the United States Mint beginning at noon (ET) on February 5, 2008.

To order the American Buffalo 2008 Celebration Coin online, visit the United States Mint's secure Web site at www.usmint.gov beginning at noon (ET), February 5. To order by telephone, call 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468). Hearing- and speech-impaired customers with TTY equipment may order by calling 1-888-321-MINT (6468).

Mint Link

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With six you get egg roll!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Instead of a 1 ounce coin they should make it .88888888888888 of an ounce.
  • Options
    bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>With six you get egg roll! >>

I would imagine the packaging is of Chinese origin as well!
    And I ain't lying this time.
  • Options
    Interesting concept, I think in March they will be sold in green box an call it 'Irish Celebration'
    I like that image
    I will buy few 24K Gold hmmmm
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uh, it looks like the Mint is talking to the BEP!

Link to BEP

imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Now, this really makes it look like China Owns US!
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The BEP has been doing this for several years.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Packaged in traditional protective coating" according to the Mint...does that mean the edible shrinkwrap used for the MS version or a capsule used for the proof?
    In the suppiled picture, it appears the coin is sitting naked in the red case.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tooooo rich for my blood. Nothing special either.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, I read the Mint News release several times but I am still unclear. It says Mint as West Point but will this coin have a "W" Mint Mark? The regular PCGS Registry Set for MS coins have no Mint Marks. The Proofs do. Will this be a special MS coin with a "W" Mint Mark and therefore there will be 2 coins needed for the year 2008?

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting concept, I think in March they will be sold in green box an call it 'Irish Celebration'
    I like that image
    I will buy few 24K Gold hmmmm >>

And then they can do it in a gold box to celebrate the swallows' return to Acapulco.......
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

What does "luck" have to do with it image ?
  • Options
    Ancient Chinese blessing: "FOOD LUCK"
  • Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    As I read the description, this gold coin is the regular uncirculated strike of the $50 gold buffalo. It is packaged to honor the Lunar Calendar Year which is observed by asians. It appears that only the packaging is distinct with regard to the 2008 Lunar New Year Celebration; therefore there is nothing special about the coin - only the packaging. With the continued increase in the price of gold, this may be the first bullion coin sold by the US Mint at near bullion price. The US Mint is joining other government mints in targeting the Asian market - China, Australia, Canada, etc.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've finally have come to realize that the Mint..A) Is "milking" the collectors for all it's worth ... B) Flippers don't stand a chance unless they do some research first. I will not be sucked into this one either.....image >>

i think they have a crystal ball for PM
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Uh, it looks like the Mint is talking to the BEP!

Link to BEP

imageimageimageimage >>

be careful of the Triad
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,838 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ebizgobro image
    That's a good observation, I think.
  • Options
    The NN story says the mint is calling it a "bullion" coin. That means no mint mark.
    TD
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    when did they stop selling coins and start selling boxes? image
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options

<< <i>when did they stop selling coins and start selling boxes? image >>

Very cogent point!!!!! image
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    $1018.88 ? A bit rich for my unlucky poor azzed self. image

How about a specially packaged Lincoln Cent for $8.88 ? Now THAT I could afford. image

-- Make that a roll of 2008-W Lincolns for $8.88 image

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I will wait for the fractionals, but will be buying the 1/4 oz version only.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    buy the coin, not the 'holder' ie. box
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Next question: Any special grading by PCGS on this issue?
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    pass. i like my bullion closer to spot. 50 cents of packaging is an
    insult with that price.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I will wait for the fractionals, but will be buying the 1/4 oz version only. >>

Are the fractionals definite? (sorry if this was covered in another thread, I could not find it).
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I will wait for the fractionals, but will be buying the 1/4 oz version only. >>

Are the fractionals definite? (sorry if this was covered in another thread, I could not find it). >>

Fractional Gold Buffaloes Expected in Summer of 2008
    By Numismatic News
    January 31, 2008

American Buffalo gold coins will be available in fractional sizes in 2008.

Proof and uncirculated 2008 Buffaloes will come in half-ounce, quarter-ounce and tenth-ounce sizes, the U.S. Mint announced Jan. 30.

Four-coin sets including one-ounce coins are to be sold as well.

The 2008 one-ounce uncirculated Buffalo will continue to be available singly.

Proof Buffaloes in fractional sizes are expected to go on sale this summer.

Since a 2006 debut, the American Buffalo gold coins have been the Mint's .9999 fine gold coin option, intended to compete in the marketplace with other 24-karat gold coin offerings from other world mints.

American Eagle gold coins, which come in the same fractional sizes and have been available since 1986, are made of .9167 fine gold. Gold Eagles were assigned face value denominations of $50, $25, $10 and $5. Other than size-specific information, all four sizes share the same Saint-Gaudens double eagle obverse design and "Family of Eagles" reverse design.

Designs of the fractional Buffaloes will be smaller versions of the one-ounce piece, featuring major elements based on the Type 1 Buffalo nickel of 1913.

Of course, differing on each piece will be the size and face value information. Like the gold Eagles, the one-ounce gold Buffalo is denominated $50, the half ounce will be $25, the quarter ounce $10 and the tenth ounce $5.
  • Options
    INXSINXS Posts: 1,202

<< <i>Next question: Any special grading by PCGS on this issue? >>

Does anyone know the answer to this question? I had thought this also but was just a little late. If PCGS did recognize it it would surely give a bump to sales.
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
  • Options
    Anyone bought the American Buffalo 2008 Celebration Coin today?
  • Options
    The U S Mint must have a horseshoe hidden away..........

First the web site goes down the day they release the Eagle comm's

Now they release the "not so special" lucky buffalos ..........

and spot gold goes south.........

Dan
    Fishing is not a matter of life and death.......It's much more important than that........
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    And don't foget, they are expected to ship in about 59 days or so...image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file