Home Sports Talk
Options

Drunken rant at roast for "Mike & Mike" goes over the line and ESPN co-host suspended

From USA Today:

Dana Jacobson, co-host of ESPN2's First Take, will remain off-air
until Monday for comments at a social event she now says were "foolish
and insensitive."
Jacobson spoke at a roast of ESPN's Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic in
Atlantic City Jan. 1. Onstage there, according to The Press of
Atlantic City, she was "swilling vodka" and "cursing like a sailor"
and made "an absolute fool of herself" as the crowd booed.
That prompted her current one-week suspension. Says ESPN spokesman
Mike Soltys: "She's been disciplined."
Also at the roast, Jacobson, a Michigan grad, made vulgar references
about Notre Dame in trying to joke about the school with ex-Irish
lineman Golic. Those references involved references about Jesus Christ
- prompting the Catholic League to put out a statement entitled "ESPN
Anchorwoman Trashes Jesus Christ." Jacobson, in a statement of her
own, says she has "respect (for) all religions and did not mean
anything derogatory by my poorly chosen words."

Comments

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She was on the cover of Hartford Magazine this month and profiled in an article as one of the Hartford area's "most eligible singles".

I am sure her "roast" comments will attract the type of men she wants to meet! image
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    isn't that the idea of a roast???? nothing is off limits, it's all in fun and jest?
    i'm a notre dame fan and i think she should have been able to give golic and weiss (who was in attendance) the business, she's a michigan grad!! there isn't another catholic (i'm a catholic as well) university like Notre Dame, what other university has a touchdown jesus? isn't that insensitive in itself to jesus?

was the rest of the roast G rated, if so it must not have been that good of a roast. i think some people are just too sensitive when it was clearly a fun, booze induced night of ragging on mike and mike.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    isn't that the idea of a roast???? nothing is off limits, it's all in fun and jest?

In theory, yes, but in dealing with issues of religion or ethnic origin there is a point where someone can cross the line. Anyone remember years ago Ted Danson and the roast of Whoopi Goldberg at the Friars Club where Ted dressed up in blackface and did some kind of routine?

I have been trying to find out specifically what Dana said about Jesus and Notre Dame but haven't found an online source yet.
  • Options
    OK, I found out what she said, this is censored as from the news article:

"F...Notre Dame,

F...Touchdown Jesus,

F...Jesus."

Believe me folks she wasn't even nice enough to just say "F," she said the whole word, but this is a family friendly article and you will just have to use your imaginations.

Don't know if Collectors Universe will delete this but anyway here it is for you to judge for yourself.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I think she needs to have her mouth washed out with soap.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    drunken party girl at a quasi-celebrity roast. shocking.
    truly lol.

she wasnt on the air, she wasnt on the clock right (not paying her to be there)

why is she getting suspended? thats lame. get her ass on the air, have her mumble "im sorry im a loud-mouthed drunken skank" and move on.
  • Options

<< <i>drunken party girl at a quasi-celebrity roast. shocking.
    truly lol.

she wasnt on the air, she wasnt on the clock right (not paying her to be there)

why is she getting suspended? thats lame. get her ass on the air, have her mumble "im sorry im a loud-mouthed drunken skank" and move on. >>

Doesn't really matter if she was on the air, she still represents ESPN by being an employee and this was going to come out on
    the news anyway so ESPN had to do something.

I wonder if "Around the Horn" and "Pardon the interruption" would cover this incident? Since this is one of ESPN's own they
    might just pretend it never happened as far as talking about it.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Give her a break.

She'll be cast upon a sea of fire to burn for all eternity for what she said. image

Shouldn't that be punishment enough?
    Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    This is what happens when the company you work for is owned by a mouse... There are roasts and Disney roasts. Apparently Jacobsen didn't get the memo. Next time instead of calling it a roast, they should call it a celebration of friends.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    I have to admit, I like her more now.
    #10 PSA Set for Topps Baseball currently on eBay under seller deeppurple1.
  • Options

<< <i>Give her a break.

She'll be cast upon a sea of fire to burn for all eternity for what she said. image

Shouldn't that be punishment enough? >>

Agreed.

Everyone that uses the Notre Dame name in vain is destined to serve in Hades. image

Go Penn State!
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is what happens when the company you work for is owned by a mouse... There are roasts and Disney roasts. Apparently Jacobsen didn't get the memo. Next time instead of calling it a roast, they should call it a celebration of friends. >>

Agreed.

Maybe she thought it would be aired on Comedy Central.

Hello?! Is this thing on?

Try the veal?
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    can someone invite her here?
  • Options

<< <i>can someone invite her here? >>

LOL Anything she said there would have been light stuff on these boards.
  • Options
    ESPN sucks!! Let her have some fun. They try to be too politically correct all the time. They've become too big. You don't need 50 networks when one will do the trick. They repeat the same broadcasts over and over anyway. The only time I enjoy more than one is when college football rolls around. They will probably make her do the politically correct thing and take a class on drinking or go to rehab or something.

I guess what I'm saying is that the only thing I like about ESPN is Erin Andrews!!
  • Options
    rumor has it that she'll be on field reporter for NBC's 2008 Notre Dame FB games! YEAH!
  • Options

<< <i>She was on the cover of Hartford Magazine this month and profiled in an article as one of the Hartford area's "most eligible singles".

>>

I thought she was a lesbian.
  • Options

<< <i>ESPN sucks!! Let her have some fun. They try to be too politically correct all the time.

I think they had to draw the line on the "F" word, they couldn't just ignore this like it was no big deal and then
    have to deal with the fallout over that. Under the circumstances they did the right thing and I think she got off pretty easy.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see no problem with what she did, other than saying "F" Jesus whats the big deal? She doesnt like ND!
  • Options
    Who even saw this event, besides ESPN people? Was it on TV?
  • Options

<< <i>Who even saw this event, besides ESPN people? Was it on TV? >>

It was not televised. There were apparently a number of media people from various organizations (including ESPN) at the roast.

ESPN has a tape of the incident but is refusing to show it. A Christian organization is holding a prayer vigil and demonstration outside
    ESPN headquarters in Connecticut today demanding that she be fired.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    this is the biggest thing people should be worried about?? a candle light vigil?? how about one for the children around the country and the world that are homeless and hungry? how about the soliders involved in the war and their families? i think it would be the Christian-like thing to do to turn the other cheek and forgive as was pointed out before, would it not?
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>She was on the cover of Hartford Magazine this month and profiled in an article as one of the Hartford area's "most eligible singles".

>>

I thought she was a lesbian. >>

Well, that's not what she told the magazine: