Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My most cherished card is...... (Pics optional)

I'm curious.. with so much collecting diversity here both sport and non sport, I want to know what your most cherished card is. Not necessarily the most expensive (although these might go hand in hand) but the most CHERISHED. Story and photo optional!

Mine... I'd say my 1949 Bowman Bobby Doerr. Not only is he one of my all-time favorite players, but this was also the very first 1949 Bowman card I ever purchased. It inspired me to go for the 1949 Bowman Red sox set, and then that set inspired me to go for the whole darn set! Here it is! It's not expensive, but it means a lot to me!

-------------------------
Alan W. Bailey II
Beginner Collector
Formerly knowns as "Teknobailey"

Collecting:
- 1949 Bowman PSA 7+
- Manny Ramirez Rookies in PSA 10
- 1979 Topps PSA 8
- Any raw Game-used Red Sox card (especially Red Sox A&G Jersey cards)
- Graded Red Sox rookies (in a Red Sox uniform)

My Manny Ramirez Cards 14 Cards – Ten PSA 10’s – Seven Rookies
My 1949 Bowman Set 27.50% complete (66 of 240 Cards) – 5.21 GPA
My 1979 Topps Set 2.62% complete (19 of 726 Cards) – 8.00 GPA

Successful transactions (between both screen names) with: Late1970sTopps, Cwazzy, Guru, clayshooter22, lanemyer85, ArnyVee, vintagetoppsguy, mdkuom and Lawnmowerman.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    1993 Refractor of Thomas in PSA 10 (x15)
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    My 2 favorites:

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Jas........

Great Namath.

Do you see a .5 bump in either card?

If you do, please explain. Thanks.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Wow, what a Namath!!!

• Options
    A few of my favorites....

• Options

• Options
    My favorites are as follows:

My 1970 Kelloggs McCovey proof cut-out (I've got seven of these, including two other McCovey's, Mays, Marichal, Reggie, and Carlton):

My 1970 Topps Cloth Sticker McCovey (not even listed in Beckett, since I own the only one and have never bothered to write them about it):

My 1973 Topps Comic McCovey:

And my 1951 Connie Mack AS Christy Mathewson Proof:

• Options
    1976 Venezuelan League Stickers "Gatner" (Jim Gantner)
    ...on it's way to PSA for slabbing
  • Options
    Gumbyfan....are you as much of a Packers fan as you are a Brewers fan? If so, I've got some stuff that might interest you....
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Here's my favorite.

Jeff

• Options

<< <i>Gumbyfan....are you as much of a Packers fan as you are a Brewers fan? If so, I've got some stuff that might interest you.... >>

PM sent.
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    I have many PSA graded, but this one just happens to be BGS. Pop 1.

• Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Killer Namath you have there.

That Arod is sweet.
  • Options

<< <i>I have many PSA graded, but this one just happens to be BGS. Pop 1.

image >>

That's a rare card in that condition! Just about every other 96 Laserview Inscriptions auto I've seen has a terribly faded signature. Great looking card!
  • Options

<< <i>That's a rare card in that condition! Just about every other 96 Laserview Inscriptions auto I've seen has a terribly faded signature. Great looking card! >>

Yeah, the 1996 Laser View Inscriptions set have fading and surface issues. I bought that card already graded, but also have another set that is going in for grading soon. All the autos are still sharp just because they haven't seen the light in years.
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    This was my first vintage card:

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options

<< <i>This was my first vintage card:

Chris >>

Great Campy Chris! Thanks for sharing!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Jas........

Great Namath.

If you do, please explain. Thanks. >>

Both cards made the first cut into my stack going in for review. I will go through the cards making the first cut later in the week and inspect them a little closer, measure the centering, and then likely have a reduced pile that makes the 2nd cut. I will go through those cards one last time around 1 Feb before sending them in for review. My 3rd time I typically grade them the toughest as to try and only send in cards I REALLY think have a good shot at bumping. In the past, I was doing this for FULL GRADE bumps, so I am going to try and be a little more lax on the next review sub since the half point will be easier than the full grade bump.

Both of these will likely be close on centering. Based on what PSA published, they are looking for better than average centering for the grade and both of these seem to be more average. Once I measure exactly I will be able to determine if its worth the $60 grading fee for each of these.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    I have different "most Cherished" in different categories

Modern Card

Vintage Card

PSA/DNA Card (will be in psa/dna slab soon- already got quickopinion)

Rookie

Inscrption

Rookie Reprint Auto

Prospect

GIFT from Card Store Owner - Hoffman college card

• Options
    Man, hofautos, you've got one of the finest collections of cards I've seen man.

Good stuff.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Oh sweet holy mother of Mary and something or another...

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    sweet Ghost
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    what barry and steve said - good grief!! first glanced at that red grange i thought it was one of the 2007 ones from the 250+packs of sportkings image
    i want to touch itimage
    that is awsome card, you gonna try a 8.5 on it jason? little oc, not bad though on eye appeal comparred to 48 or 49 leaf fbs
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Jason that Grange is beautiful!

My favorite card reminds me of the happiest time in my first collecting life. I was 10 years old, my Pirates were in the World Series and my favorite player Clemente had a great series. They weren't supposed to win but they came back from 2 games down to win.

I know it's only a 5, and it's a BVG not PSA. It's probably not worth what I paid to anybody else but me, but it's the one card I know I'll have forever. To me it's what the hobby is all about. Keeping things that remind me of good times long ago. This really isn't all that easy to get but it's not wanted either so it's not valuable.

• Options

<< <i>what barry and steve said - good grief!! first glanced at that red grange i thought it was one of the 2007 ones from the 250+packs of sportkings image
    i want to touch itimage
    that is awsome card, you gonna try a 8.5 on it jason? little oc, not bad though on eye appeal comparred to 48 or 49 leaf fbs >>

Well, I think its definitely going to make it to my 2nd round of cuts. Just measured the centering 58.75/41.25 L/R and 62.85/37.15 T/B..That actually puts the centering as a high level 8 area. PSA 9's are 6040 to 65/35. Slight touch to the bottom right corner, But I own modern 9's with worse corners.

Man, wouldn't it be cool to see that card bump to 8.5! image..The last 8 sold for 13K..lol

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>Jason that Grange is beautiful!

My favorite card reminds me of the happiest time in my first collecting life. I was 10 years old, my Pirates were in the World Series and my favorite player Clemente had a great series. They weren't supposed to win but they came back from 2 games down to win.

I know it's only a 5, and it's a BVG not PSA. It's probably not worth what I paid to anybody else but me, but it's the one card I know I'll have forever. To me it's what the hobby is all about. Keeping things that remind me of good times long ago. This really isn't all that easy to get but it's not wanted either so it's not valuable.

>>

Reminds me of the "Famous Feats" cards I collected as a kid..Great artwork! Reading card backs can really help you remember why great players were great too.

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>Jas........

Great Namath.

If you do, please explain. Thanks. >>

Namath is even tougher call. The corners are absolutely gorgeous, even under magnification. Centering is solid for an 8, but not at the "high end" for the grade. 65.57/34.43 L/R and 59.41/40.59 T/B...This one will make my 2nd cut, but as a slider. Longshot that I'll actually send it for the bump. At least not until I see how strict PSA is using the centering standards for the .5's. Based on their initial press release, this one falls into 8, but not 8.5 category. Shame, because the corners are immaculate and it has no print spots or bubbles at all.

Jason
  • Options
    Jason it is kind of like getting ten to 1 odds on a 60 bet so sometimes it can be well worth the risk even if it is a questionable one
    YOU NEVER KNOW
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    In my collection, this is my favorite vintage card...

and this is easly my favorite modern card...
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    My two favorite cards just happen to be of my all-time favorite player...........

Collecting:
    Dallas Cowboys
    SuperBowl MVPs
    Heisman Trophy Winers
  • Options
    cefy1cefy1 Posts: 430 ✭✭✭

My favorite card, my favorite player. The picture does not do this card justice, but best I can do.

I have never seen this card centered better.
    All 4 Corners Razor Sharp.
    Absolutely No OPC Rough Cut.
    Great Color and Action Photo.

No idea why this isn't sitting in a 10 holder.

Chris
    Always buying Gretzky PSA Graded

Need some 2007 A&G Regular Back Mini's PM if you have any and I will send my needs list.
  • Options
    I currently have 6 cards that are part of my family, they are part of my personal collection, and I only need 127 more cards to complete the set! image

Scans

Giovanni
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Because I wanted one for sooooooo long and took me sooooooooooo many snipes to finally get:

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Here are 3 of my favorites

1969 Topps 4 in 1 - only six PSA-8`s and three 9`s,,, 0 tens

2005 Topps Fan Favorites (card signed) Ryan/Bench

1968 Topps 3-D

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    That '68 3-D is SWEET. My fave is my '51 Bowman Mick -- did a lot of wishing for that card as a kid, now that I have one, it was totally worth it!
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Can't pick just one, but I narrowed down to 4

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    My most cherished cards aren't even mine. Its my dad's complete run of Clemente topps base cards.
    He put it together at shows we went to when I was a kid in the early 90s. Not high grade stuff, but will never be upgraded.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    Great FB cards, BigDaddyBowman!
  • Options
    one of my favorites due to its rarity.....Jose

• Options
    These 4 cards are my favorite, it took me to much time to find them, and forever to get back from grading, lol. image

Sorry for the big scan.

Giovanni
  • Options
    just a couple of my favs:

imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Wow, those are really nice.
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, they all are, but that Grange is a knockout!!!!!!
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice PSA 1 MajorDanby. Im guessing paper loss on the reverse?
  • Options
    ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭
    Wow, great basketball autos Giovanni.

My favorites are...

Modern:

Mr. Hockey WHA jersey swatches.

and not so modern:

Proof card sets purchased from Topps Vault. The photos for these two particular cards were changed shortly before Topps went to press for their 1980-81 hockey release.

Mike
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • Options
  • Options
    nick...nope. three surface wrinkles not evident on the scan.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    OK, this is an odd one but this is the Business Card of the Phillies team doctor who treated Cal Ripken Jr's broken nose at the 1996 All Star Game

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.