Post your notes with corrosponding postcards!

Nobody Pays More! image
Trophy National Banknotes
redseals, brownbacks, statistical rarities, entire state and regional collections, first charters, no. #1 notes!
---------------------------------------------

Comments

• 0882208822 Posts: 5,021
    Nobody Pays More! image
    redseals, brownbacks, statistical rarities, entire state and regional collections, first charters, no. #1 notes!
    Nobody Pays More! image
    Nobody Pays More! image

Buying Tennessee, southern National Bank Notes, large hype (I mean type) and now, grudgingly, coins.

Small-time dealer in our country's legal tender.

Never be haughty to the humble, or humble to the haughty.--- Jefferson Davis

Small town retailer- small town collector
    Looking for Illinois Nationals from Whiteside, Henry and Carroll Counties- especially 1st and 2nd Charters

Mark
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭
    I really like the ephemera tied to the banks I collect. As mentioned it really adds another dimension to the collection and gives you something, generally less expensive, to pursue between increasingly infrequent banknote purchases.

For some banks, it is possible to track changes over time if you have a little luck. Old National in Evansville is a nice example. This bank chose to receive new charters every 20 years rather than extend old ones.

This stereo card shows the building that was originally the E'ville branch of the State Bank which became Evansville National.

Signage seems to be the only change that was made when the bank became Old National and subsequently the Old State National.

A "modern" skyscraper was built in 1915 which was then expanded by the time the final incarnation of Old National emerged in 1922.

What fun!

imageimageimage
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭
    Hey Tenn, what a great BB $50. Why don't these seem to exist for STL?

I also like the flood scene for your Genesco bank IB. Think that they kept the currency out of the water?

imageimage

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • So, now who is going to the annual National Postcard Show to find a
    postcard of their favorite bank?
  • gdavis70gdavis70 Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭
    Here's my home town...

Notice my grandfathers shoeshine stand sitting down the sidewalk just a bit from the bank. It's sitting in front of my great grandfathers barbershop.

My Collection of National Notes
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
  • Can't let this thread die yet...So here's my contribution (a DateBack of course!) image

Interested in MN and SD Nationals.

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭
    Nice card and note DBD! You are the resident in-house Pipestone expert, so please correct me if I am wrong, and feel free to add-to if I am correct, on mating this note with this bank. Thanks.
    imageimage
    On the lookout for Pipestones.
  • BGguyBGguy Posts: 131 ✭✭
    One more from my home town:

• << <i>so please correct me if I am wrong...on mating this note with this bank. Thanks. >>

Hey Pete...You've got it right on the Pipestone National Bank Note/Building. The Pipestone County Bank became the Pipestone State Bank in 1908 and then became the Pipestone National Bank in 1916, all in that same building.

Here's a postcard of the Interior of that bank during it's State Bank era (notice the spittoon front and center!).

• Here's another one...small, small town in eastern South Dakota, near my old hometown...

and here's a photo of what the bank looks like today:

• I'd guess the tobacco ice cream didn't sell too well as that buiding is gone now. image
  • rpwrpw Posts: 2,089 ✭✭
    Back to the top!
    imageimage Small Size National Bank Note Type Set $5-$100
    1950's or 60's I'd say
    Upstairs is a showcase of old guns and trophy animals, it's pretty cool
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=

Interesting to note that this note was likely in circulation when the photo was taken. Also, at the time of the photo, the person in possession of this note could have wandered over to the to the Coin and Medal Department of the Panama-Pacific International Exposition and bought a set of the commemorative coins with either a round or octagonal $50 gold coin, most of which were melted down in 1916 because $100 was a pile of money in 1915.

The building still stands there today.
    The First N.B. of San Jose (#2158) at First & Santa Clara Streets. The building went up in 1910 and came down some years ago. 1929 Type 1 $50 from the bank with the town name featuring the large size accent mark in 9 pt. Gravure normal. Signed by W. S. Clayton, the President and Paul Rudolph, the Cashier. The Bank started as the First N. Gold B. of San Jose and is today survived by Bank of the West. Not a direct descent but rather an acquisition by one of those tortuous holding company schemes that seem to be the norm these days. The phrase "Road of a Thousand Wonders" on the post card refers to the Coast Line-Shasta Route of the Southern Pacific from Los Angeles Through San Francisco, to Portland. The card probably came from a set that featured views from the trains which ran through downtown San Jose on their way to San Francisco.
    imageimage
    Here is the North Western N.B. of Minneapolis, MN Charter $2006. The building was completed in 1930. It was gutted by fire on Thanksgiving 1982 and demolished in 1984. The bank itself was more persistent than the building. It survived the depression and acquired numerous subsidiaries over the years. Eventually it bought Wells Fargo Bank and believing, perhaps rightfully so, that the Wells Fargo brand was more illustrious it packed up, moved to San Francisco and changed it's name to Wells Fargo Bank. To further confuse its antecedents, it is currently operating under Charter 1741 which was at various times The First National Gold Bank of San Francisco, The First National Bank of San Francisco which merged with Crocker National Bank to become Crocker First National Bank of San Francisco and lastly Crocker National Bank which was devoured by Wells Fargo in 1986.

So perhaps it is fitting to add a few more scans:

• gnatgnat Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭
    I love NB Postcards and other ephemeria:

Scanned a couple things lying around the house:

Brown Backs

The Original Building

The Newer Building (one of the best and tallest buildings in Santa Ana when built. Still standing, but largely vacant now.

And a Stock Ceritificate is always nice:
    I love the Black and White RPPC of Santa Ana, a lot of action in that picture.

I got this postcard today...

Gregory National Bank in the middle left. If anyone has another Gregory note in better shape I would be interested.

Here a lovely post card of the Schlitz Hotel in pre-Trump Atlantic City. By all accounts it was owned by Schlitz Brewing of Milwaukee which had a string of Hotels and Beer Gardens around the Country to promote their brew before Prohibition.

If you zoom in on it you can see:

The Boardwalk N.B of Atlantic City N.J. #8800. I had figured that the title was metaphoric but it was actually on the Boardwalk.

And while we're on the topic, check out the rates.

• JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,680 ✭✭
    THIS THREAD is AWESOME
  • One of my favorites...this note was the plate note in Friedberg as the Type 2 $20 for decades...I found it with the postcard in a small coin shop....I have no idea how it got there!
    Interested in nice Brown Back notes and anything cool ! Read my "Hotz Off the Press" column in Banknote Reporter every month.
  • Here's the wonderful photo postcard that came with it. It is inscribed on the back from family members in Lacona to other family members in Florida; apparently sent along with the note. Family members were those of the bank president.
    Interested in nice Brown Back notes and anything cool ! Read my "Hotz Off the Press" column in Banknote Reporter every month.

John V. Spinelli

Member ANA, SPMC, Currency Club of L.I
    The First National Bank of Orange, Orange California. Located in the historic Orange Circle area of old town, the bank building still stands today. The Orange Circle has been used in several feature films in recent years as the buildings are all of the 1910 to 1940 era and nicely restored.

• Here's a note I just picked up at the CPMX auction, along with a postcard and blank contemporary check with a nice vignette of the bank:

• mfontesmfontes Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff Randy! I have been looking for some time for any post cards from the five Sacramento Banks, but just cant seem to find any.
    Nobody Pays More! image
  • 08822:
    Nice notes. will post some in future when I learn how to scan
    Welcome to the forum. I think I know who you are, and you have some mighty amazing notes!!!!
    Nobody Pays More! image
  • I 2nd what JZrarities said.....This Thread IS Awesome!!! Unfortunately, I only have pictures of the banks that I would like to eventually own a note or two from. I haven't come across any of the ones I'm looking for, which means they are probably rare and out of my price range anyway. At least I can enjoy the cool stuff you all are posting. Keep em coming!!!
    Brian
  • TootawlTootawl Posts: 10,857 ✭✭✭

image image

image - image

image - imageimage
  • Here's a nice DateBack that came from the Peter Huntoon collection. Gee, I wonder why he liked this town?!? image

and here's a Postcard of the bank from the 1920s, as well as a recent photo. The building is still standing, but these days it's a Godfather's Pizza!

That is a sweet note and what a great title!!! Dang
    I sure wish I could show a note from this bank in Rhyolite, NV.

It's unknown as far as Kelly is concerned. Maybe Jess has one locked up?

Here is a before and after..... makes me sad!

Back of the new card reads:
    The walls of the old John S. Cooke Bank still stand in Rhyolite, NV. In 1907 there was a town of over 10000 people at Rhyolite and there were 10 hotels, cafes, a stock exchange, an opera house and a railroad depot.

Nobody Pays More! image
    Nobody Pays More! image
    Nobody Pays More! image
    Nobody Pays More! image
  • mfontesmfontes Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭
    Is that 1907 or 2007, image

I am really impressed! Great stuff fellas; Randy those are great! Of course Jess you know we all enjoy your stuff!
  • Here's a DateBack from FNB of Canton, SD. and a neat Territorial Bank Check with a vignette of the bank, plus a 1930s postcard of the bank. Notice that H. Anderson signed as Cashier on the banknote, and H. Anderson also signed as Asst Cashier (I think that's a fancy A.C. after his sig) on the Bank Check from about 25-30 years earlier. The signature is different, so either his sig changed over time, or else I suppose it's possible it may be his son? Time to do some more research...

Edited to add: After further research (Thanks to BGguy for the census info!), it is the same H(ans) Anderson that signed both the note and the bank check. Hans was born in Norway in 1862, and emigrated to the USA in 1880. So he would have been 23 years old when he signed the bank check as Asst Cashier, and around 50 years old when he signed the banknote as Cashier. He is recorded in the 1900 and 1910 Census with his occupation listed as Bank Cashier.