Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Who do these guys think they are????

I was reading the current Beckett and looking at the card show section. They usually list the big shows that have the big stars signing and offer mail order autographs for those who can't attend. Besides the outrageous prices for a flat auto, theres a charge for a photo op?????? Do they mean that you pay for example $149 for Joe Montanas Auto and another $169 for a picture with him??? Thats F'in CRAZY!!

Here are some others:

Steve Young $79 Flat / $99 Photo Op
Jerry Rice $129 Flat / $169 Photo Op
LaDainian Tomlinson $149 Flat / $169 Photo Op

NUTS!!!

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I would think that you pay just the one price, the higher of the 2 if you want the photo op.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    Here is who he thinks they are

Try it again,

sorry my last err for 2007.
  • Options
    i would hope so, because that is insane! I can't believe how much $$ these guys get for scribbling their name. $150 per auto for Montana if he spends 1 minute signing/talking (from what I've heard, he is a jackass and doesn't say much, so probably more like 30 seconds) works out to be around $9000 per hour. NOT BAD JOE!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    After 8 tries this is what i get:

Error Icon Image Web Site Not Responding
    Good for you.
  • Options
    They are who we thought they were....
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They are who we thought they were.... >>

Well, who did they think they were?
  • Options
    People pay stupid money for autographs these days.
  • Options
    TriStar does that all the time. Usually the photo op is about the same price as the autograph ticket.
  • Options
    Check out TriStar's show in San Francisco. A regular John Elway autograph ticket is $175.00 and a photo op is another $175.00.

$175.00 Photo Op
  • Options
    for that kind of money you should get a lap dance with a happy ending.
  • Options
    There isn't anyone alive that I would pay for an autograph. The fans made these guys millionairs and they should be willing to give something back by showing up at these events for a few hours a couple of times a year for free. So what if someone makes $25 off their auto later? Like that's going to change someone's life. Sign enough of them and that will take care of that problem. You *might* convince me that adults don't need to stand in line for autos/photos, but you will never convice me that these greedy spoiled millionairs should be charging kids for their autograph.
  • Options
    The Young prices are not bad.....too bad these shows never come to Kansas.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Maybe if people just stoped showing up and wouldn't pay the high prices, maybe someone would get the hint.
  • Options
    I didnt have a problem paying $15, $20, $25 or so for retired HOF'ers who didnt really make the big bucks. and those guys were WORTH the money, they were nice, gracious, told stories, were appreciative of the attention.

my first show: Bob Feller, $10 a pop. never forget it.
    No way I pay $100+ for any modern clown who pulls in 10 Million a year plus endorsements. silly.
  • Options

<< <i>I didnt have a problem paying $15, $20, $25 or so for retired HOF'ers who didnt really make the big bucks. and those guys were WORTH the money, they were nice, gracious, told stories, were appreciative of the attention.

my first show: Bob Feller, $10 a pop. never forget it.
    No way I pay $100+ for any modern clown who pulls in 10 Million a year plus endorsements. silly. >>

AMEN
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>They are who we thought they were.... >>

Well, who did they think they were? >>

"WE LET EM OFF THE HOOK"
    Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I didnt have a problem paying $15, $20, $25 or so for retired HOF'ers who didnt really make the big bucks. and those guys were WORTH the money, they were nice, gracious, told stories, were appreciative of the attention. >>

Agreed. Guys from the Negro Leagues, MLB of that era or maybe the AAFC or AFL, who didn't get the benefit of later salary gains...those guys can charge and I won't blink. Someone who actually made considerable money as a player...that's a little harder to swallow. A nominal fee, sure, but not anything in these upper eschelon neighborhoods.

<< <i>for that kind of money you should get a lap dance with a happy ending. >>

As much as I liked watching them play, I can't honestly say I would really value one of those from Montana or Elway.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    It surely doesnt make a lot of sense. David Wright is 125 per auto and then Nolan Ryan charges 35. Something is way wrong with that picture.
  • Options
    Yeah, and a lot of the retired players who charge put to money towards a charity or something. I feel much better about sending money that goes to help a cause, rather than lining a pocket.
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    You gotta realize that all these players do not get the full price of the autograph. I am working on setting up a convention dealing with another hobby of mine and the top guest speaker is charging us 1500 to come speak plus expenses like travel, hotel and food. I think I read somewhere Montana charges 4000 dollars plus the same expenses. So guess where the rest of that money goes.
  • Options
    I think charging so much is one way of thinning the lineup???

The bigger the line, the more they will charge, otherwise the whole stadium would be lined up after the game... and then ESPN would wright about what a bunch of poor sports the athletes are because someone like Elway decided to get up and leave after only signing for 3 hours, leaving thousands without his signature.

So they charge more and more $$$, weeding out the haves from the have nots is one way of shrinking the lineups.

I don't like it either, but there's just to many fans out there to sign for everyone.

Just a thought.

On another thought, I could get 2 hookers, a meal and a hotel room for what Elway charges. image
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    "If you wanna crown their A***** then crown 'em"
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    Dennis Green, the Ultimate Motivator......

So Dumb Dennis gives away a Monday Night game to the stumbling, bumbling, at-least-we-got-the-best-friggin-kick returner-in-history Bears, who in turn go on a rampage through the weak NFC and wind up in the Super Blow where they roll over and die for Peyton Manning and the Indy Colts, who got in finally, once and for all after defeating the Tom Brady led Patriots, who get so pissed that they go out and sign every available player to bolster their offense so they can once agin bypass the Colts and they kick everyone's a$$ on the way to a perfect season and the new all-time season Points Scored record which used to be owned by the 1998 Minnesota Vikings who were coached by.........ALL TOGETHER NOW!

Dennis Green image
  • Options
    I stay away from purchasing any of the current players autographs outside of a fund raiser event (Eagles and Phillies throw events each year which go towards charity). My thoughts are that because the players are still in the game, there is a very limited autograph signing period during the off-season. Once these guys retire, they typically make themselves more available for signatures and the prices tend to go down (note: This theory may not hold 100% with today's athletes and the mega bucks they make... they may not need the extra income right away so signing may become rarer). For active players we are paying more for the rarity of a live signing then the signature itself.

J