Home Sports Talk

PSL & ticket prices for Cowboy's new stadium

stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
$16K - $150K for a PSL per seat?!? Club seats for $340?!? Surely Jerry can't be serious.

Well if the stadium costs $1.1B, guess the money has to come from somewhere.

Link

Link

Wow.
So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

Comments

• The prices are as large as Jerry Jones ego, it just figures I guess.

Some longtime season ticket holders are probably going to fall by the wayside because of the price but I expect they
    won't have a big problem selling those $150,000 seats to wealthy individuals and various businesses that want to
    impress a potential high rolling customer they are trying to deal with by taking them to a Cowboys game to be pampered
    and wined and dined.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    You're right, there's some fat wallets in Dallas but I don't know how many would be willing to pony up that much.

That's a lot of expensive seats to sell out in order to avoid local blackouts...
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

• << <i>You're right, there's some fat wallets in Dallas but I don't know how many would be willing to pony up that much.

That's a lot of expensive seats to sell out in order to avoid local blackouts... >>

I guess if the seats don't sell they can always lower the price but probably without a lot of fanfare as that
    would be a bit embarassing.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oakland had a PSL program when the Raiders moved back to Oakland from LA in 1995. The fanfare surrounding the return of the team was loud and the local politicians loved the idea of having a football team again. The deal to secure the return of the Raiders was a 16 year deal. Al Davis wanted a guaranteed income stream from ticket sales. The politicians locked the City of Oakland and the County of Alameda into assuring a steady revenue stream, assuming that the rabid Raider fans would pay PSL fees (good only for 10 years), plus season ticket prices without question. Turns out the PSL program and the marketing of the Raider tickets (which the politicians had a hand in through the Oakland Football Marketing Association) was a fiasco. Projected sales of PSL and season tickets were far above actual sales. The local fan base could not and would not pay for the number of PSL's wanted by the team and politicians. As a result the citizens of the city and county are on the hook for big bucks. On top of that the Raiders have been terrible, except for the Gruden years. Even when the Raiders made the Superbowl in 2002, the city and county politicians were upset with the team (Al Davis had sued them again).

In short the Raiders have been a fiasco since returning to Oakland. When the 16 years is up, more nastiness will take place.
    That's an interesting perspective, Sanction, thanks.

For the Texans, I had to pay a $5,000 PSL, which lasts 30 years. However, if they do a "major" renovation before then, technically they could request another PSL. Then I pay $20 to park and $90 for each game. Don't mean to brag but my seats are absolutely amazing; 30 rows up and at the 45 on the home side.

We had guaranteed sell-outs the 1st five years, paid by McNair (the Owner). Since then, we haven't even come close to not selling out (I know, double negative). While many fans threatened to cancel their season tickets two season ago, we actually have gained season ticket sales since.

<< <i>I guess if the seats don't sell they can always lower the price but probably without a lot of fanfare as that
    would be a bit embarassing. >>

I don't foresee that happening. If they sold some and then reduced the rates without giving a discount to the original purchases, I see a HUGE lawsuit. Also, the prices they are currently quoting are needed to make the deal work.

To put things into perspective, Reliant cost +/- $350MM and that included a major renovation of the Astrodomain (which is an adjacent exhibition hall). I've been to a few football stadiums and in my biased opinion, Reliant is one of the best, bar none.

But $1.1B?

Honestly, don't know how the numbers work.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jerry Jones is a greedy POS. image
    Hate to hear what a friggin' cup of beer is gonna cost? Not that I care because I ain't gonna be there. LOL
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still can't figure out how Bob Kraft built the new Pats stadium without resorting to PSL's. Obviously, it can be done - but must not be too appealing to owners.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jones is the face of the NFL Network too...obviously not "everyfan's" friend.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's an interesting perspective, Sanction, thanks.

For the Texans, I had to pay a $5,000 PSL, which lasts 30 years. However, if they do a "major" renovation before then, technically they could request another PSL. Then I pay $20 to park and $90 for each game. Don't mean to brag but my seats are absolutely amazing; 30 rows up and at the 45 on the home side.

We had guaranteed sell-outs the 1st five years, paid by McNair (the Owner). Since then, we haven't even come close to not selling out (I know, double negative). While many fans threatened to cancel their season tickets two season ago, we actually have gained season ticket sales since.

<< <i>I guess if the seats don't sell they can always lower the price but probably without a lot of fanfare as that
    would be a bit embarassing. >>

I don't foresee that happening. If they sold some and then reduced the rates without giving a discount to the original purchases, I see a HUGE lawsuit. Also, the prices they are currently quoting are needed to make the deal work.

To put things into perspective, Reliant cost +/- $350MM and that included a major renovation of the Astrodomain (which is an adjacent exhibition hall). I've been to a few football stadiums and in my biased opinion, Reliant is one of the best, bar none.

But $1.1B?

Honestly, don't know how the numbers work. >>

How the hell did you guys lose the Oilers with all this cash flowing into the Texans?
    If a gigantic local sinkhole swallowed up the new Cowboys stadium the day before it opened, I would toast a beer to that. image

<< <i>How the hell did you guys lose the Oilers with all this cash flowing into the Texans? >>

I'm really hungover from last night (Go Horns!), so I'll give you a quick cliff notes version.

In the late 80s ('88 I think), Bud Adams threatened to move the Oilers to JAX if we didn't renovate the dome. We gave in and issued $70MM in bonds to cover the rehab, which included tearing down the historic scoreboard just to put in +/- 15,000 seats.

Then after we lost to KC in the '94 playoffs and Bud said the team that went to 7 (?) consecutive playoffs would be dismantled, then had a surprise press conference. Without discussing it with anyone, he announced that he wanted a new retractable stadium that would house the Oilers and Rockets. Keep in mind, the Rockets' Owner, Les Alexander, nor our Mayor didn't even know about it. During the conference, Bud was fumbling with the model and it looked like a pre-schooler put it together.

So anyway, there was animosity between Bob Lanier (or Mayor) and Bud. Bob said we were still paying off the less than 10 year renovation (and still are today) and told Bud to go eff himself. Without even asking for the fan's support first, Bud, that greedy SOB, signed exclusive negotiations with NASH to build a new stadium. It was a done deal and Houston couldn't do anything.

The fans were SOL and had no recourse. So, they responded with their wallets and didn't purchase tickets. I remember the last season, there were maybe 10,000 fans in the stands.

Bad times.

• 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a sort-of-related note, it's going to be interesting to see what the Giants do with their new stadium which is scheduled to be ready for the 2010 season. It's scheduled to cost at least $1.3 billion and they will split that cost with the co-owners, the Jets. No mention has been made of PSLs yet - I'm sure they're waiting to see how much the cost overruns will be first. Assuming they do impose a PSL, I'm sure some of the old-time season ticket holders will fall by the wayside. As someone who has been on the Giants season ticket waiting list for TWENTY-FOUR years, maybe I'll finally get a shot at some tickets.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    When the Browns came back to Cleveland they sold PSL's also. Depending on where you sit the prices went up. I'm in the corner of the end zone in the Club level and paid about $1250 if I remember correctly for each seat. Then each season I get to fork out an additional 2500 or so for my season tickets, which include an additional PSL fee per ticket. I realize that this isn't 150K for a seat but I also believe that they are trying to force the average fans out.... guess I can't complain, at least the Browns will go to the Playoffs this week if Tennessee loses, even if we lose....wait a minute...somethings wrong with this picutre!!

• << <i>I still can't figure out how Bob Kraft built the new Pats stadium without resorting to PSL's. Obviously, it can be done - but must not be too appealing to owners. >>

thats easy, they were playing in the worst professional stadium on the planet ...it was a no brainer to all involved to get a stadium deal done...felt like i was at a big high school stadium.....
    I don't remember the exact details but Kraft got a sweetheart deal. Think he got the land for next to nothing because it's in the middle of no where.

And I've been to The Razor and sorry to say but I wouldn't put it in the same class as some of the other new stadiums.

No offense, Pat fan.