Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone else get the new CW and dig out their 1971-s brown box ikes?

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
I went through all 7 of ours ... no luck image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...and the news is...for those in the dark...?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    I broke em out a week and a half ago when this story broke!

Quite a few folks have known about these and have actively been looking for them for quite some time now.
    I didn't see one a week and a half ago and I doubt I'll see one anytime soon.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ak.....there was an UNC die used for the reverse on some of the proof 1971-s Ikes that have been found in the brown boxes.

As planned: Rounded earth features and indiscriminate islands off florida (high relief)
    Unc die: Flat earth and 3 clear islands (low relief)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool - thanks, seems like new varieties keep spawning out of this "no respect" series.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't had a chance to check mine yet, but I clipped the article. It would be nice to recoup the original $10 per coin cost after 36 years! There was such a demand for the '71 proofs, mine didn't arrive until February of 1972.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    I checkeded about 20, and found none.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can anybody post a pic or the article with a pic?
    thanks
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    PM Sent.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Cocoinut writes "There was such a demand for the '71 proofs, mine didn't arrive until February of 1972.

Congratulations, you got an early strike. I think your delay was more lack of minting than demand. Only 1,222,170 had been made out of 4,265,234 eventual total at that point. March 1972 was the biggest production month for 1971 S dollar proofs.

Was it a Pegleg? This subject will be comprehensively covered in a coming article.
  • Options

<< <i>I haven't had a chance to check mine yet, but I clipped the article. It would be nice to recoup the original $10 per coin cost after 36 years! There was such a demand for the '71 proofs, mine didn't arrive until February of 1972.

Jim >>

(ttt) I, too, am interested if your Feb, '72 shipment of '71 Ike Proofs were Peg Legs. An up-comming article in the January Numismatist conveys our reasoning that the initial '71-S Proof was the Peg Leg with a little over a million minted in 1971 (mostly in December): the Serif-R '71-S Peg Leg we believe was minted in March, 1972.

Rob Ezerman
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I checked out several different sources and about 65 Ikes. ...None.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    My February 12, 1972 shipment of proof Ikes arrived on Monday, Feb.14. I remember that day because my father died on the 10th, and his funeral was on Valentines Day. I ordered 5 each of the proofs and uncs, mailing my checks on June 28, 1971. I sold 2 of them back in 1979. Of the 3 I still have, 2 are Peg Legs. Here's a scan of the label on the box the proofs were sent in:

I figure it took 231 days to receive the coins, so "the good old days" weren't always that good!

Too bad none of the proofs were struck using the die intended for uncs.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    Jim,
    This is very interesting. Could you post a picture of the one without the pegleg?
  • Options
    Here's the non-Peg Leg coin. I apologize for the color, but it was a quick-and-dirty photo done in the kitchen, rather than my usual setup. It should show that the coin has the serif on the R. You can also see that planchet preparation wasn't up to today's standards.

Jim
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    I looked through about 50 of them and did not find one, either.
  • Options
    Jim, sent you a PM. Your "kitchen" photo and shipment label are important to the IKE GROUP and I would love to discuss details with you. Rob
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

• Options
    Thanks Jim.

This may keep the theoriticians busy for a bit.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How difficult is it, to remove the brown box Ike proofs, from their Mint holders? Mine are developing a haze & I like to try some MS70 on them.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Give it a twist until you hear it crack in a couple of places then slip either a thin bladed screwdriver or a box cutter under a corner and gently start prying the two pieces apart.

They should separate with a minimum of effort but be very careful. If one corner is stubborn, move on to another one or give it another couple of twists.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Lee is right on, as usual.

I have had good luck with physically twisting the case back and forth until it begins to crack up. Then the two halves can usually be separated without tools. While I have never done so, wearing gloves makes sense.

MS70 will work wonders, just be sure to rinse thoroughly with running water to remove all traces of the industrial detergent that is the main ingredient in MS70 (minutes, not seconds) and use whatever final rinse you prefer (distilled water, 90% alcohol or pure acetone) before drying with whatever method you prefer (hair drier or soft cotton cloth). Rob

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Lloyd & Moderndollarnut for the "heads-up."
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    could someone in the know post the article from CW and pic or at least tell what this is about - Peg Leg??- have a few Brown IKES collecting dust and want to check it out - thanks,
    currently putting together a EF/AU/BU 18th & 19th Century Type Set; and CC Morgan Set

just completed 3d tour to Iraq and retired after 28+ years in the US Army
  • Options

<< <i>could someone in the know post the article from CW and pic or at least tell what this is about - Peg Leg??- have a few Brown IKES collecting dust and want to check it out - thanks, >>

Here are a couple of threads that discuss the PegLeg.

Link 1

Link 2

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Here are two that I found

imageimage

imageimage
    RACC
    I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then question the manner in which I provide it. I prefer you said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand to post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file