Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New record for Tom Seaver PSA 9 rookie in Goodwin's?

$5414! (Includes the 17.5% premium). A couple sold for a little over $3000 on ebay of late but for years it sold for $1500-$1700. Looks like it might be catching up to the Ryan rookie in terms of PSA 9 price.

1967 Topps Tom Seaver PSA 9

Comments

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    The Carew 9 was just as crazy. Finished at $5,488. And the Carew 9 in Memory Lane's auction is already going for more! That was a $3,000 - $3,500 card before these auctions hit. I guess the timing was just right.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    The Carew has always outsold the Seaver but $5488 is definitely the highest for which I've seen one sell. This one is nicely centered though.

Memory also has a PSA 9 Seaver rookie and though it's currently $3451 I wouldn't be surprised if it sells for more than the Goodwin one. The centering is better.

Memory's

Goodwin's
  • Options
    A Carew 9 went for only $3939 in the most recent Madec auction, just a week ago.
    Successful transactions with: vintagetoppsguy, packman, barndog, Big80s, MurphDawg, BrackAttack, mealeworm, Publius, Whiteshoes, bigredone, rube26105, ledsters, reelinintheyears, digicat, themetalsign, OSClabs, 1420sports, bighurt2000, MeteoriteGuy, lsutigers1973, skier07, Machodoc, gameusedhoop, tennesseebanker, Downtown1974, CGeorge, Salinas, corvette1340, lbcoach20, initialD, IJustLoveCards, TedSimmonsFan, Goldlabels, Lothar52, bigred1, Bosox1976, itzagoner, svtPONY95
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    The Yaz 9 also went for $1799, about double the usual.

Looks like somebody with deep pockets is building a 9 set.
    Capecards
  • Options
    hdunkhdunk Posts: 76 ✭✭
    You all are missing the card that went for more than it should.

1962 #401 Maris/Cepeda PSA 8 $5,011 w/BP.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    hdunk - that number is unreal. I hadn't even noticed that auction. I was focused on the 1962 Koufax PSA 8 that went for $3450.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Something ain't right with that Koufax. It was either seriously shilled or the buyer was completely ignorant (or mistakingly thought it was a 9). That card sells for $550-$700. There's one for a buy-it-now of $825 and even that seems high.

The same for the Maris/Cepeda. You can get it for $200 currently on ebay.

What is going on here?
  • Options
    People probably just like buying from Goodwin. It is fairly common for someone to pay $5000 for a card when the same card is available at $200 on ebay, probably because his strong reputation.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>People probably just like buying from Goodwin. It is fairly common for someone to pay $5000 for a card when the same card is available at $200 on ebay, probably because his strong reputation. >>

Actually, a descrepency that large isn't common at all. There are certain cards that usually sell for more through an auction house, but not $200 cards going for $5,000+. I can't even begin to explain what happened there. Who would be dumb enough to even top say $2,000 for a card like that??? imageimageimage
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    I'm amazed at the prices of 67 Seavers & Carews as well as 65 Carltons
    I recall back in the 80's buying these 3 cards in quantity in straight out of vending box quality
    I mean super clean cards
    I could buy them in quantities of 25-100 cards at a time at real fair prices
    I knew a guy in Los Angeles that had 500 Carew rookies but wouldn't sell me any
    Now they seem to be tuff in high grades
    If you would have told me this 20+ yrs ago what these cards would be bringing I would have said your krazy
    But this is what grading has done to card prices

• Options
    The Seaver, at least for a while, seemed to pop up in about every major auction. For a 1967 high number, its pop (55) in PSA 9 is quite high. It doesn't come up as much these days so maybe demand is outstripping available supply. (For the record there are 22 PSA 9 Carews. It usually outsold the Seaver by about $500.)