Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Grade this sovereign.. cross NGC > PCGS ?

Currently NGC MS64, would it cross ?

Here are SCANS from my trusty (old) scanner.. seems to show you what you have.

Thanks in advance, nice bright photos from dealer are also possible..

Comments

• Options
    image to the Board.

A nice coin, no idea about crossing, I will leave that to the experts.
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, depends if you have been naughty or nice. That looks like a PCGS 64, but don't get your feelings hurt - very very nice reverse. Couple of hits on the cheek, etc. that keep it from the elusive "5" probably.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome

I am not sure it will cross at 64

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Thanks all, I think its a 63 minimum.. nice strike, full luster and fields are only very light marks

Always hard to say from images of course.. oh and another thing the images show is, look at how sharp and fresh the legends look.. because of the way the scanner caught it, look at F: D: and the dots, and look at the M mintmark ! nice and bold..
  • Options
    Here's the view from the dealer's camera.. nice and bright coin as you can see image some light bagmarks in strange cross hatch pattern on the reverse, show up in this but not the scan.. some lovely luster on there though

No photoshopping my end except turning the reverse some degrees counter clockwise.. not much maybe 5 degrees.
  • Options
    Well, looks to be rather more hairlines on the obverse...
  • Options
    Nice Coin!! image

1876M Sovs are amungst the most "common" of the Australian Young Head Sovs to be found in high grade, I believe the Swiss had them and released them when they sold their gold in late 90's. Common is a relative term when talking about Young Heads.

The high degree of mint lustre makes these coins very difficult to photograph, have no doubt its not near as hairlined as the pictures make it appear.

Can't help with cross-over issues, can't reply without sounding very rude about TPGs and the numbers game.image

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin, and good luck if you attempt a cross.
  • Options
    Was photographed in the NGC holder of course.. I prefer scans when they are in the holders.. don't have the time to get photos just right, nor can I be bothered with the time and spending money to have some of these scratchy slabs reholdered. Why do they get scratched so easily image all slabs seem to get light scratches very easily.

I have this 1895-S NGC MS64 too, might as well get some opinions in the same thread ! PCGS 64 anyone ? image

Lets start with the scans..

• Options
    Yes the reverse is THAT good imageimage

64 I think.. virtually unmarked. The queen has a blob behind her chin, one of those things there is not a mark, its a tiny blob of metal so a tiny hole in the die ?

From the reverse, I wouldn't be surprised if they had just a) polished it or b) changed it
  • Options
    Yes, those would be rust marks to the die blemishing the queen's image & she looks to have a "hit" in the veil as well as misc. chatter. I still think 64 might be fair in a P holder - don't forget these are blown up.

Why the need to cross them? Don't think it a big deal with similar rarity coins.