Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Coin Challenge: "In Unity There is Strength" Exact or very similar World Coin Motto's want

Recently acquired my first ZAR coin, a 19th century pond. Doing some research on the inscriptions, I was interested to learn that the motto is the same as my home-town's!

Later that day . . . Firstly, I don't know how to take or post pics. My daughter said she'd help me, but - and I'm delighted - she has better things to do. Second, sounds like a great idea for a contest-giveaway. (See third post - by the estimable laurentyvan.) I'm very interested in coin inscriptions. I can think of only one similar myself. I won't enter, not out of principle, but rather aversion to numismatic embarrassment . . .

Comments

• Any chance of a picture of the Pond ?
    The meaning of life ? I don't know but I am sure that coins have something to do with it.

Zar's Ebay
  • laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    "In Unity There Is Strength"

I'm almost tempted to go back through the 100's of coins I've sold over the last year and total up that motto or variations thereof...image

In fact Brogine, let's have fun with this. Change your thread title to something like: Coin Challenge: "In Unity There is Strength" Exact or very similar World Coin Motto's wanted-Giveaway to winner.

Whoever comes up with the most coins listed wins the giveaway- I'll be happy to donate a mystery prize with shipping.

If anyone else wants to donate something to add to the mystery prize (package?), please speak up. If several or more forum members donate to the prize package the incentive to participate goes up as more prizes are added- we can have fun with this!

Here are the rules: any country, any coin in history with that motto (or extremely similar motto), including allowences for literal translation issues which can be resolved by forum consensus. Once listed that coin and related denominations WITHIN THAT CENTURY are closed- let's keep it simple.
    In other words, don't list a 10 Zablazt in .9250 Profundium and then list the 1, 5, 20, and 50 Zablazt- only counts as one. Country name changes are allowed (as in Krause) and listed entries will count. Whoever has the most entries will win the mystery prize and be allowed to lord it over other mere mortals. Any suggestions to the rules are welcomed!

A quick example (which won't count as I won't enter) would be a coin from a different century (than the one mentioned) but also from SA. I can think of several countries as I type.

Images are especially welcome (you don't have to own it obviously). brogine, I'm assuming this is OK with you?image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
    Excellent, now all we need is an awesome display of knowledge.image

I won't enter, not out of principle, but rather aversion to numismatic embarrassment . . .

Oh, I didn't say it might not take research...image

• << <i>"In Unity There Is Strength"

A quick example (which won't count as I won't enter) would be a coin from a different century (than the one mentioned) but also from SA. I can think of several countries as I type. >>

The 1961-1964 South Africa 5, 10 and 20 cents have "unity is strength" on the obverse.

Edited to add: multiple other South African denominations of the same era have the same inscription.
  • I also found (although not technically a coin) a George Washington token with what I believe is a Latin translation "in unitate fortitudo".
    and a very similar design is also on the reverse of german "play money".
  • SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wrote an article on this very topic in my local coin club magazine back when I became it's editor. It was by no means a comprehensive, scholarly effort (more like an emergency space-filler). Besides the two already mentioned, here are a few others I found at the time.

1800's Belgium: early (19th century) coppers featured the same motto. Belgian coins were originally written in French only, where the motto is "L'UNION FAIT LA FORCE". Coins: 1 centime, 2 centimes, 5 centimes, 10 centimes, 20 centimes, 50 centimes, 1 franc, 2 francs, 5 francs, 10 francs, 20 francs, 25 francs, 40 francs.

1800's Belgium II: Belgium is bilingual, and after the 1850's, two separate coinages began to be issued, one in French (with the same motto as above) and the other in Flemish, a variant of Dutch, and much the same as the South African/Brooklyn motto: "EENDRACHT MAAKT MACHT". Coins the same as for Belgium I, except it doesn't include 20 centimes or anything above 5 francs.

1900's Bolivia: the 1987 coinage series all feature what I assume is the same motto, but in Spanish: "LA UNION ES LA FUERZA". Coins: 2, 5, 10, 20 and 50 centavos, 1, 2, 5 bolivianos.

All the other examples I found were mottoes that simply mention or imply unity, rather than closely match the Brooklyn motto. The only other non-coin numismatic thing I found to match was a 1901 Australian medal commemorating Federation with "UNITY IS STRENGTH", the motto of the Federalist movement.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
    Alright, according to the "rules" (which can be modified by consensus),

Dan8402 has one listed entry for the SA observation, one for the Washington Token and one for the "German Play money for a total of 3.

Sapyx has 1 for early Belgium, 1 for Belgium French, one for Belgium Flemish, 1 for Bolivia, and 1 for the Australian medal for a total of 4.

Exactly what I was looking for: 2 players with 7 entries and we've just started!image

Yes, tokens and and medals are in play, anything round and numismatic related.

Dan8402- great images, thanks, visuals are important and will help maintain interest.

• Multiple 1970's coins from Haiti have "L' Union Fait La Force", or Unity is Strength on the reverse. Although it is hard to see, it is below the tree on the reverse. image
  • I also found what I believe is a medal from the Netherlands with the motto "Eendracht Maakt Macht" on the reverse and dated 1898.

imageimage
  • ...And I don't know if this counts, but another Bolivian coin, but from a different era. An 1877 20 centavos with "La Union Es La Fuerza".

imageimage
  • Possibly a third for Belgium, this one from the 1900s. I found a 1909 2c, also with "Eendracht Maakt Macht" on the obverse over the lion. image

Edit: The early 1900s Belgian Centime also has the French version "L'Union Fait La Force", although I don't know if this would be considered separate from the one posted by Sapyx.
    Dan8402 adds Haiti, one entry, the Eendracht Maakt Macht will count even though Sapyx nailed that one already (different century), Belgium doesn't count (already identified) but the Netherlands medal will and the Bolivian example will (different century) for his total of seven.

Please let me know If I disagree with any ones interpretation, everything is subject to review.

Current score-
    Dan8402: 7
    Sapyx: 4

More players please...image

Remember, even though a literal translation from a different language might not seem to fit, if the intent of the motto or phrase was to convey the same or original sentiment, I would have a hard time turning it down. Fuzzy, I know...

If we can get enough participants and do a thorough enough job with this, I'd love to submit an article to a numismatic publication regarding this forum thread, the organization (PCGS) which made it possible and the results, which might prove interesting.

Or not, sigh...image
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would the Soviet motto "Proletarii vsekh stran, soyedinyaytes!" has a similar meaning (Workers of the world, Unite!)?

Actually, can't think of any Soviet coins that would have that displayed. I know that all paper money did, but if someone can think of a coin that had the motto - feel free to add it to your guesses image
    2K, that is borderline but will lead in interesting directions I think...image
  • OK, now it starts to get really difficult. I found one from the Republic of Georgia with a coat of arms that contained "ძალა ერთობაშია!" Georgian for strength is in unity. It is a fifty Tetri denomination issued in 2006. One and two Lari denomination coins have the same coat of arms depicted.

It is hard to see in the picture, but it is easier to see in the coat of arms I found on google.

Edit: I didn't actually think the Georgian version would show up correct on these forums.
    strength is in unity

dan8402 scores another entry for a total of 8- good going!image
  • One more...On the 1936 and 1938 Lithuania 10 Litu there is edge lettering that reads "Vienybeje Tautos Jega" translated to the strength of the nation is unity. The coin is pictured below although the edge lettering can't be seen.

• Multiple Malaysian coins of multiple different Ringgit denominations have the Malaysian coat of arms which includes the words "Bersekutu Bertambah Mutu" on the left side of the banner below the tigers. This is translated to unity is strength in Malay.

imageimage

Again, it is better seen in the coat of arms rather than the coin.

• On some Bulgarian Leva commemoratives the Bulgarian coat of arms has "Съединението прави силата" or strength through unity in Bulgarian.

One more coat of arms too, because I'm starting to like them and it shows the motto.

3 more for a total of 11!image Go dan! 'Course, you've got such a head start that you may have scared anyone else away.image

• << <i>3 more for a total of 11!image Go dan! 'Course, you've got such a head start that you may have scared anyone else away.image >>

Who knows...I may have burned myself out image
  • Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    My one and only submission and I found this quite accidently while trying to attribute an ancient coin. I found this site... FORUM ANCIENT COINS and then I found a link to the pictures and the meanings behind them as found on ancient coins and came across this pic.
    Republican silver denarius, moneyer Cestius Norbanus, 83 BCE.

The translation it says is this:

<< <i>The fascis in the centre, the axe bound into a bundle of sticks, means strength in unity, and also symbolised the power and authority of a lictor. >>

How about: E Pluribus Unum describes an action: Many uniting into one. This might also fit and if so I would like to enter every US type coin including bullion only issues into the contest. image

Many labor unions use the "in unity there is strength" motto so dig out those old tokens.

Happy hunting everyone!

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • I found an interesting description of a Mormon gold piece with a representation of strength and unity in the design. The auction description is as follows: "Pale gold with soft surfaces, the details somewhat worn in places. Depicting the crowned eye and halo surrounded by the inscription HOLINESS TO THE LORD and showing the clasped hands of the reverse, exemplifying strength in unity. "

• Another interesting medal I found is from Ceylon. It is an 1826 Low Country Products Association Award Medal.

• And a holey 1925 American Fleet medal.

• A military medal awarded for service in the Franco-Prussian war. Again with "L'Union Fait La Force".

imageimage
    Dan, you are blowing me away!

I see an individual who is bound and determined to win that mystery prize...image and deserves it!image

Unless, of course, someone equally adept sneaks in and I've seen no sign of that.

Rick, I thought about E Pluribus Unum but a good translation is: One from many" or "One from many parts, and while it seems to imply what we want I couldn't justify it otherwise we were going to open a real Pandora's box.image
    OK, I am intrigued. I am off today and am now interpretating wording on coins I never bothered to look up before. This is harder than it sounds since in some cases I have no idea what language or even where to begin in some cases when I do know the language...

What about Virtus, Unita, Fortior? Strength united is stronger If so then I submit one coin from Andorra, the 1983 Diner
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    part. Go figure...
  • Next up is a 1984-85 Miner's Strike medal.

• And a 1936 Johannesburg Empire Exhibition medallion with "Eendragt Maakt Magt" below the ox wagon. This commemorated the 50th anniversary of the founding of Johannesburg.

• As the last for me for a while, I found a Amalgamated Society of Engineers, Machinists, Smiths, Millrights, and Patternmakers (ASE) medal or badge. The legend says "Unity is Strength, Defence not Defiance". The only thing I can tell about the date is that it is from before 1920 when the ASE merged with the Amalgamated Engineering Union (AEU).

Both Rickc300 and dan8402 score simultaneous entries.image

1 for Rick ( nice spot), 3 more for dan8402 (awesome).
    I had to take a break from the magnifying glass and rest the ol' eyeballs. On a lark I did an eBay search after looking thru my usual searches and found this: WW1 AUSTRIA SILVER MERIT CROSS CROWN ORDER MEDAL while not really a coin it does have the phrase VIRIBUS UNITIS’ (strength through unity)

Like I said, I am intrigued and am looking just for fun. I don't think anyone will catch Dan anytime soon.

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    part. Go figure...
    Rickc, that's a great find, keep pushing the lad (dan), we don't want him to get complacent.image
  • I found a site with some interesting Z.A.R. imitation kruger ponds. The site explains what they are better than I could. Linky

• << <i>I had to take a break from the magnifying glass and rest the ol' eyeballs. On a lark I did an eBay search after looking thru my usual searches and found this: WW1 AUSTRIA SILVER MERIT CROSS CROWN ORDER MEDAL while not really a coin it does have the phrase VIRIBUS UNITIS’ (strength through unity)

Like I said, I am intrigued and am looking just for fun. I don't think anyone will catch Dan anytime soon. >>

I'll follow the non-coin tangent for this one too image

Another "L'Union Fait La Force" inscription on what I believe is a Belgian military medal.

Linky

• And the Order of Leopold I medal, the highest order in Belgium.

I thought that was really interesting, but I'll get back to round discs after this one image

Edited to add another picture...

Well it is round and made of metal... Independent Pilots Association; International Brotherhood of Teamsters; United Parcel Service Strike, 1997 Courtesy of Bob Mattingly button collection

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    part. Go figure...
  • Similar to the Malaysian coin I posted the other day, this medal has the Malaysian coat of arms with the Malay version of strength in unity.

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    The Greek motto (1868-1911) translates in "my strength is the love of the people" written in the reverse design, in the lower part of the royal shield.
    I'm going to post it for the sake of variety.
    Besides, it's an old icon and a favourite.

If it counts, I have several different denoms to enter them and win this. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

<< <i>Rickc, that's a great find, keep pushing the lad (dan), we don't want him to get complacent.image >>

Complacent? Give him a tranquilizer, a couple of shots of tequila and then take away his internet access and I might have the time to look at all the oddball stuff I have and interpret the inscriptions on the coins in my "hoard" in order to maybe get close! Each entry I give, he gives 3 or more in return... I bet I have the oldest interpretation with the denarius though! (I am trying to make myself feel better here). LOL, really, this made for an enjoyable day and most of an evening looking at coins I have not looked at for a long time (many of them for many years). I also discovered I could never be a researcher. When I got a clue and then found something more interesting to me, I would follow that down before getting back to what I was originally looking for. Like when I interpreted my Danzig 5 Gulden (KM-158) with nec temere nec timide. To me that looked promising when I first saw the words so I had to chase it down and find out what it really meant even after early on I realized it was not what I was looking for. Oh, and while I was looking at that I found a little tidbit about Poland... Poland’s Solidarity movement... Gdzie zgoda tam i si³a, with unity there is strength... Boy, that sounds like what I wanted! I then spent 3 hours reading Polish history, then more about the Solidarity movement and then finally moved on to the coins of Poland and then couldn't find a single thing with the phrase I wanted!

All in all I learned a great deal today, maybe not what I was originally looking for, but things of interest anyway. I have some new ideas for tomorrow, but it has to be a short day Monday 4AM comes early...
    Military maneuvers in the Philippines had that motto a few years back so maybe a pocket piece from a commander? The Air Force had a patch with those words so maybe there is a token or medal with that phrase too. Many possibilities exist... BTW, when is this contest over?

The first to 100? image

image Rick

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    part. Go figure...

<< Rickc, that's a great find, keep pushing the lad (dan), we don't want him to get complacent. >>

Complacent? Give him a tranquilizer, a couple of shots of tequila and then take away his internet access and I might have the time to look at all the oddball stuff I have and interpret the inscriptions on the coins in my "hoard" in order to maybe get close! Each entry I give, he gives 3 or more in return... I bet I have the oldest interpretation with the denarius though! (I am trying to make myself feel better here). LOL, really, this made for an enjoyable day and most of an evening looking at coins I have not looked at for a long time (many of them for many years). I also discovered I could never be a researcher. When I got a clue and then found something more interesting to me, I would follow that down before getting back to what I was originally looking for. Like when I interpreted my Danzig 5 Gulden (KM-158) with nec temere nec timide. To me that looked promising when I first saw the words so I had to chase it down and find out what it really meant even after early on I realized it was not what I was looking for. Oh, and while I was looking at that I found a little tidbit about Poland... Poland’s Solidarity movement... Gdzie zgoda tam i si³a, with unity there is strength... Boy, that sounds like what I wanted! I then spent 3 hours reading Polish history, then more about the Solidarity movement and then finally moved on to the coins of Poland and then couldn't find a single thing with the phrase I wanted!

All in all I learned a great deal today, maybe not what I was originally looking for, but things of interest anyway. I have some new ideas for tomorrow, but it has to be a short day Monday 4AM comes early...
    Military maneuvers in the Philippines had that motto a few years back so maybe a pocket piece from a commander? The Air Force had a patch with those words so maybe there is a token or medal with that phrase too. Many possibilities exist... BTW, when is this contest over? The first to 100?

Rickc300, that is Post Of The Day material!image

You've just described the contagious enthusiasm of research and discovery, one of the hobby's strongest gifts. Paths branch and branch again and you want to follow all paths. At this point even our most basic coins become fascinating and relevant again. We enjoy the satisfaction of rediscovering many items in our collection, their history and place in the numismatic universe. Combined with the thrill of the chase, where can you go wrong? Plaudits...

Dan8402, you're flying at light speed, absolutely unquenchable and forcing Rickc300 to his afterburners!image

By all means medals! They add a delicious spice to this numismatic feast.image

Dimitri mon vieux, thanks for an interesting, beautiful but non-entering contribution.image

When will it be over? I don't really know but we'll probably sense when it's time, a few more days or so at least. I think. There's still a lot more to discover!

I will do entry totals later on, need to get back to eBay auction-making. image

• << <i>

<< <i>Rickc, that's a great find, keep pushing the lad (dan), we don't want him to get complacent.image >>

Military maneuvers in the Philippines had that motto a few years back so maybe a pocket piece from a commander? The Air Force had a patch with those words so maybe there is a token or medal with that phrase too. Many possibilities exist... BTW, when is this contest over?

The first to 100? image

image Rick >>

Part of your scenario came true. Thanks to Time Warner, I currently don't have internet access at home. So, I am posting from work now. I'll have to see what else I can come up with out of books at home and post when I'm at work again.
  • To resurrect this thread, I found a miner's medal that I thought was pretty interesting.

OK, this thread has succumbed to dan8402's relentless pursuit of victory. His coin and medal skills are evident and I'm awarding him the mystery prize which will remain a mystery until such time as he wants to share it with everyone.

dan, please PM me your address.image

In the meantime, there are still several examples I could mention so feel free to add to the thread. I had a good time with it, hope you did too. God Knows, I learned a few things.:

Ed to add: By the way, thanks to all contributors, you were great!