Home Sports Talk
Options

Why do NFL & NBA teams have cheerleaders while MLB & NHL teams do not?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
Your thoughts please.

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do but the cheerleaders only perform in the player's hotel rooms.
  • Options
    Actually, a few NHL teams do have cheerleaders.
  • Options

<< <i>Your thoughts please. >>

Well, my first thought is where would they be? You cant have them on the rink (hockey) or in the bullpen (baseball).

Basketball and Football have a place for them on the sidelines/end-zones.

This seems like the simplest explanation...

• Options
    The slow pace of baseball and cheerleading does not seem to be a good mix, you would have ballplayers doing a lot of just standing around waiting for something to happen and in contrast cheerleaders doing their thing on the sidelines. It would look rather strange.
  • Options
    i think hockey cheerleaders would be hilarious. dumb bimbos on sharp skates. let the hilarity ensue!
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need to see pictures to understand image
  • Options
    Actually,

I believe in the movie Zapped, they had cheerleaders for the baseball team image Nathan Too Mean Labean was the key pitcher!

• Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    Chicago Bears have no cheerleaders.image
  • Options
    The cheerleaders in the NHL are actually in the stands, not on the ice. I believe the Nashville Predators, Tampa Bay Lightning, Carolina Hurricanes all have them.
  • Options
    Who cares!!!!!!!

Trying to complete 1970 psa set.
    45% complete.
  • Options

<< <i>Who cares!!!!!!! >>

Heterosexual males care.

• Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Not all NFL teams have cheerleaders. The following teams do not:

Bears, Packers, Lions, Steelers, Browns, Giants and Jets.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    The Rays don't have cheerleaders but they do have the Ray team or something. Basically they're cheerleaders and most find them quite annoying. Although, now that I think about it, most don't consider the Rays a ML team other than a few players (Kazmir lead the league in K's, screw Dice-K and his $101 mill. price tag, all the Sox had to do was offer $1 mill. for someone better than Dicey boy.)
  • Options
    The Cincy Reds have girls that dance on the dugout roofs between some innings and they also shoot t-shirts out of the cannon into the stands. I guess you could call them cheerleaders.
  • Options

<< <i>The Cincy Reds have girls that dance on the dugout roofs between some innings and they also shoot t-shirts out of the cannon into the stands. I guess you could call them cheerleaders. >>

• Options
    well, it is almost Halloween....

• Options
    downtowndowntown Posts: 671 ✭✭✭
    Many of the Hockey teams have "Cheerleaders"
    The Blackhawks for one, are called Ice Crewimage
    I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug
  • Options
    downtowndowntown Posts: 671 ✭✭✭
    I think most teams use them to shovel iceimage
    I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug
  • Options
    ok, I'm thirsty now.