Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do you think ebay stores work for sellers or buyers?

I no longer have one myself but do others use the format? Do you find it sucessful?

Do buyers look in the stores or just when they appear in the search results?
I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.

Comments

• CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    I considered it seriously for a while but realized I was veyr rarely looking in someone's store. When you go to eBay, you are thinking, "bargains." The concept of a storefront there for things like coins I don't think works out well. But I'd also love to hear form those who actively run them. Would be nice if it was integrated and promooted in a way that could work out well or at least better.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • I had an eBay store when they were cheaper. I never did get much interest from that. Now when I search for coins I get references to similar coins in stores. They all seem expensive compared to prior auction results... Since I have a website I don't want to maintain two places with the same coins so I dumped the one that charged me a fee when I sold a coin. image
  • When I am shopping for coins I always check the stores..sometimes there are good deals to be found. We also have an ebay store which we use to sell our major product (non numismatic) which has been quite successful. I trust an ebay store more than I do single listing. The cost for the store is small in relationship to the reward, at least at this time. I think that not enough ebay users understand the ebay store concept and thus, fail to use it efficiently.

Snapdragon
  • I look for the coins, that are the cheapist, store or not. Must have good feedback!
    SEE the BULL!! BUY the BULL!! BE the BULL!! Do your homework first. And, you will learn alot!!
  • welcome bullish!

• << <i>welcome bullish! >>

Thanks!
    SEE the BULL!! BUY the BULL!! BE the BULL!! Do your homework first. And, you will learn alot!!
  • bullish, you may think you're going after cheap coins now, but if you're operating within a budget you're doing good. Stay within your budget!!!

what do you like to collect?
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never seek out a sellers eBay store. I'm perfectly happy with "View seller's other items."
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think for the sniper, ebay stores must be dull and uneventful. But on the same token, if one is seeking a certain coin, the stores will show the item and a set price..., so they are useful in obtaining information for both buyer, and seller.
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I just switched to store format this week and as auctions end I'm relisting as store merchandise. Once up and running I believe I'll be able to promote it more. I do worry that all the auction format listings show above it in the search results but I sold a couple of items out of it today. The great part is that most listing fees are .13 for 30 days. Final value fees are higher, 10% for a cheap item but only 3.4% for a $5000 item. Feel free to click on the links in my sigline to compare the normal search for my items with my store. Store is currently pretty much default as I haven't had time to customize it. All items ending in less than 10 days are auction format. Store format items are 24+ days.

Don't accuse me of spamming as it is all <FONT face=Verdana size=1>Modern Crap™. </FONT>

• << <i>bullish, you may think you're going after cheap coins now, but if you're operating within a budget you're doing good. Stay within your budget!!!

what do you like to collect? >>

I do stay on a budget, or so my wife thanks. I just try to collect anyting i can afford. i do buy some modern, gold and plat coins. But i really lean towards Walkers, and older Gold. I did buy the TJ Spouses Proof and Unc. Hoping they would look better, But i was dissipointed. O' well.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't trust store or BIN prices. I've run across a number of situations where the store/BIN price is several times higher than the market rate. Realized prices is where it's at.
  • I usuall have 10-40 items a week offered up for auction, no reserve, 99 cent start.

I sell 10 times that amount out of my store with Buy it Now or Best Offer. I do have Free Shipping when you buy 5 or more...

I've been amazed at the store purchaces, most of the time folks don't even make an offer, they just BIN. Maybe my prices are low?

Al
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I've never seen an EBay store where items weren't overpriced.
  • I have found the ebay store to work far better for me than regular listings and far less expensive.
    Most of my coins are of a quality that prevents my buying or selling them at bargain prices.
    The cost of listing them on a continuing basis until cancelled is much easier to handle than relisting them every 10 days until sold. Dave W

David J Weygant Rare Coins website: www.djwcoin.com

dalias13@hotmail.com
  • I have bought and sold on ebay. My experience has been better buying than selling.
  • ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you think ebay stores work for sellers or buyers? >>

<< <i>I've never seen an EBay store where items weren't overpriced. >>

They work best for eBay. 13% fees when accepting PayPal plus the minimal listing fees? Wow!
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I rarely look through the stores because their fixed prices are generally on the high end of retail and the coins are rarely worthy of a price that strong relative to sheet. I can frequently find nicer coins from reputable, well-known dealers for similar money or even less. I understand the overhead of eBay and PayPal fees, but as a buyer it's not my problem if those fees make selling at a reasonable price (relative to quality) difficult.
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had a Featured eBay Store for about 4 years now. I can say that when I have buyers in my store, they tend to buy several items. Most of the purchases are duplicates of one item and on occasion, several items. The insertion costs are under .05 after gallery, subtitle, and listing. Final value fees are where they get you and that is why I tend to sell items in my store for a little more than my BIN fixed price auctions. There are people that have to have an item now and they are fine with paying the little extra.

I think overall it has been worth it for me but you have to have a lot of items for sale. I am just about out of this "business" and I will be canceling my eBay store at the end of this year after I sell the remainder of my items.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've never seen an EBay store where items weren't overpriced. >>

If they were priced low enough that people weren't complainin' the shelves would be empty image

There is a balance Barry. It's tweakable (unlike grading image )
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Actually, every now and then, you can find some nice prices in the stores. You just have to look...image
    Becky
  • seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have bought and sold on ebay. My experience has been better buying than selling. >>

I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • LokiLoki Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>They work best for eBay. 13% fees when accepting PayPal plus the minimal listing fees? Wow! >>

Don't forget the "hidden" ebay/paypal combo fee.
    Paypal gets the "full sale price" to charge their fee on. In reality, Ebay already sucked up their fees in your invoice and Paypal, since they are getting the full sale price to number-crunch on, is calculating part of their fee on eBay's insertion and final value fee take.

Whataracket! image
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find the ebay store works very well for me. I like to list around 100 items in it and many with BIN or make offer. It has been very successful.

Its an inexpensive way to show coins vs the costs and time involved in a show. However, sales can be slow during the summer months.

I think an ebay store run by a powerseller with a good rating is a good for buyers. Avoid sellers who don't accept returns or who just show one side of the coin or banknote.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why am I reading a thread from 2007 when I should be getting ready to go ocean fishing?

I am considering opening an ebay store with 200 plus error coins in it. Photographing 200 error coins will take some time tho.

• fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    No. It's a garage sale with even higher prices. No interest here.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    Opened a store last week for the first time only because the FVF are too high with out having one..
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In five years the whole market for coins on eBay has changed that now a store is almost a requirement. In fact now about the only auctions I run are loss leaders to bring people into the store. Most auction items have to have a bullion value to succeed or 99¢ opening sell for 99¢ the bidders that were shopping five years ago are not there now.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on my eBay selling experience of the last two years I would describe the current typical eBay buyer as follows:

Highly knowledgeable in his/her specialty.

Highly disciplined in his/her bidding.

Cheap. Cheap. Cheap. They are not interested in paying retail or anything close to it.

eBay has allowed itself to become cluttered with dealer store merchandise which just sits and sits because it is overpriced, often badly overpriced.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They work well for me because I pay $16/month to have a store and save hundreds or more per month with the reduced fees. I've never listed an item in the store format, though...
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file