Home U.S. Coin Forum

Sac/25c mule...why no recent news?

savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
5 or 6 years ago this coin was all the talk.....seems like there were a dozen or so known and 9 or 10 were owned by one guy......i think i remember hearing something about how the error was mint-employee assisted.....is this fact what diminished the popularity of this coin? i ask because i never see it in any price guides or hear of new discoveries.....the cheerios sac has completely eclipsed this one in popularity it would seem

g

www.brunkauctions.com

Comments

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could it be that they are all in strong hands with no need for publicity?

Thanks for the link. They look neat.
  • loro1rojoloro1rojo Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    There will probably no more Sac/25c mules discovered. Only a few number were minted, and all have probably been discovered by now.

The reason why the mule is not listed in any price guides is because the sac/25c mule is an error, not a die variety. Also, since there are only about 10, it would be really hard to assess the coin's value. It would be like writting a price guide on the 1974 Aluminum cents. The price of those coins is not easily determinable.

Finally, the reason why you dont hear about them is because none have been found since 2000, and because these cant stay in the news forever.
    -Gabe
  • That thing is absolutely awesome!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's an old question worth re-asking.....where ARE all the Sacagawea/quarter mules?

Also, were there two different cent obv/ dime rev and dime obv/ cent rev mules? Whatever happened to them?

Anybody know the dates on them?

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    I over-heard a dealer talking with some client at the Labor day show how he was given the finest known on consignment but told not to accept anything under $250k for it. This may have been b.s. but it's the only thing i've heard about these as of late. Perhaps the owner of most of them has put a price so high on them that people lost interest or perhaps there have just not been any on the market as of late...
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
    Tom, i think you are referring to these:

Link #1

Link#2

www.brunkauctions.com

Yes, thank you.
    I understand that there is also a 1993-D cent obv./ dime rev. mule struck on a cent planchet in a cent collar.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

• << <i>There will probably no more Sac/25c mules discovered. Only a few number were minted, and all have probably been discovered by now.

The reason why the mule is not listed in any price guides is because the sac/25c mule is an error, not a die variety. Also, since there are only about 10, it would be really hard to assess the coin's value. It would be like writting a price guide on the 1974 Aluminum cents. The price of those coins is not easily determinable.

Finally, the reason why you dont hear about them is because none have been found since 2000, and because these cant stay in the news forever. >>

I wouldn't rule out more bing found.

A lot of people have rolls left from 2000 and there are tens of millions in federal reserve vaults.
  • I find it interesting that there are three different die pairs for this mule.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darn, now I will be wondering about my unopened rolls of Sacagaweas...'must resist' 'stay away' aaaarrrrgggghhh... image Cheers, RickO
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Could it be that they are all in strong hands with no need for publicity?

Thanks for the link. They look neat. >>

Yes, I think that most of them are in strong hands. Didn't one guy own most of the population? There also might be concerns on the part of the owner(s) that the government could give them trouble. The fear is that these things were made illegally by crooked mint employees. (YA THINK???!!!)

As for myself, here's my level of interest in them. image But then again I don't care for the 1913 Liberty Nickel either for much the same reasons.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

• << <i>

<< <i>Could it be that they are all in strong hands with no need for publicity?

Thanks for the link. They look neat. >>

Yes, I think that most of them are in strong hands. Didn't one guy own most of the population? There also might be concerns on the part of the owner(s) that the government could give them trouble. The fear is that these things were made illegally by crooked mint employees. (YA THINK???!!!)

As for myself, here's my level of interest in them. image But then again I don't care for the 1913 Liberty Nickel either for much the same reasons. >>

Illegal coins produced by mint emplyees are not what we are after as collectors...it is the general interest that errors are produced thru an honest mistake or mishap...!!!!.....image
    ......Larry........image
  • Hello,

Someone on here posted a "source" claiming that several rolls worth of these mules were produced and...

...out there some where.

I've only been able to look through a few hundred dollars worth over the last five years. So I haven't found mine yet.
    Some call it an accumulation not a collection
  • Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Are all mules expensive? I for one would like to own one, but on a collectors budget. Do any of you know of a "common" mule?

<< <i>Are all mules expensive? I for one would like to own one, but on a collectors budget. Do any of you know of a "common" mule? >>

In U.S. coinage, all are expensive.
    TD
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Yes, I think that most of them are in strong hands. Didn't one guy own most of the population? >>

I think that explains it for these.
    I remember reading that one person had almost all of them but sold one or a few and held the rest.
    Ed
    >>Yes, I think that most of them are in strong hands. Didn't one guy own most of the population?>>

Tommy Bolack (son of deceased oil tycoon and New Mexico politician Tom Bolack)

www.brunkauctions.com

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are all mules expensive? I for one would like to own one, but on a collectors budget. Do any of you know of a "common" mule? >>

As mentioned, all US coin mules are very expensive, but there are affordable ones out there in the Darkside... i.e., world coins.

Same is true of patterns.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tommy Bolack owns eight of the ten reported
    Sac/Quarter Mules.

A list of the ten coins is on my website, if anyone's interested.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Tommy Bolack owns eight of the ten reported
    Sac/Quarter Mules.

A list of the ten coins is on my website, if anyone's interested. >>

Fred, Excellent listing, and a good read. Are you saying there were three different dies paired with each other to make the mules, they didn't all come from the same dies?

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
    There were three different Quarter Dies
    identified by Dave Camire of NGC and myself.

I've always thought the first one was an error,
    and that the second and third die pairings were
    'copy-cats'. Can't be proved either way, just my
    view.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

<< <i>There were three different Quarter Dies
    identified by Dave Camire of NGC and myself.

I've always thought the first one was an error,
    and that the second and third die pairings were
    'copy-cats'. Can't be proved either way, just my
    view. >>

Hey Fred.....I thought I discovered die pair #2, on the piece that was in the Mid-American show auction here in Chicago that year.
    May have been independent discoveries.
    TD
    Tom, you might be right;
    but I think Dave & I saw
    the difff. pieces when they
    were sent to either NGC
    or PCGS for certification.

Didn't mean to forget you !!

You're much more detail oriented
    than I am, that's for sure !

<< <i>Tom, you might be right;
    but I think Dave & I saw
    the difff. pieces when they
    were sent to either NGC
    or PCGS for certification.

Didn't mean to forget you !!

You're much more detail oriented
    than I am, that's for sure ! >>

Some people call it anal retentive......

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aren't a couple of those 1c/10c mules in the upcoming HA/FUN sale?
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file