Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Why grade "common" cards

I have nothing against grading and I think in a way it is easier to store and showcase.

When I 1st went to the National in 1999 I had to do some serious searching for people selling non graded cards.

I understand if you are doing a complete set graded. This makes sense to me.

Vintage makes sense to me.

I've even bought cards on Ebay graded because I couldn't pass up the price. The best example was a 2000 or 2001 Bledsoe #'d 1/100. I paid $1.99 for it.

But why have that Bledsoe graded in the 1st place? Bledsoe SP RC? This I can understand.

I've looked at some auctions recently and saw things like 1996 Topps Dan Marino PSA 9 and things of that ilk.

Why do YOU have cards graded and what do you send for submission?

Comments

• Options
    The Registry is a powerful tool in determining what cards to get graded.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    The registry owns me.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The registry owns me. >>

Actually Joe does image
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    I collect rookies and only rookies. I don't buy packs...i no longer buy sets. I find a player (be it vintage or modern) that i like i find out there best rookie card and buy it. In terms of scale I have a small collection (approx 120 cards total) but every card i buy is PSA graded already in the grade i want or i submit it myself.

So to answer your question simply. I grade every card i own. All by PSA.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The registry owns me. >>

yep... it is very very addicting.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options

<< <i> The Registry is a powerful tool in determining what cards to get graded. >>

add the POP report into the mix and there you go.....

<< <i>I've looked at some auctions recently and saw things like 1996 Topps Dan Marino PSA 9 and things of that ilk. >>

The seller was looking for the magical PSA 10 when submitted. I am sure if the card popped a 10 it would have sold for 3-5 times as much as the 9 ended up selling for on ebayimage
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    so you can sell em in 20 years after you break em out of the vault youve hoarded em in lol when people want 9 and 10s for their sets from the 80s,and they might be actualy worth something after they get all the cases open from 83-86 by 2050 lol!!
    i get 60s=70s commons graded when they have a special, im still paying for june lol- i need to go to chalkboard and write i will not send in 350 cards about 350 times lol
  • Options
    Then there are people like me that decided to do a Nolan Ryan "big three" run of Topps, Donruss, and Fleer, and wanted them all in slabs for protective purposes (and authentication, in the case of the 68-75 Topps issues).

Yeah, I sent in some 1990-1994 Nolan Ryan "commons" to be graded, and so did other people, because I also bought a couple 10's off eBay.

You know the sayin, "One man's trash is another man's treasure?"

One man's common is another man's keepsake.
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    There are always going to be set and team set collectors and we'll always need cards of all the regular schmoes, too.