Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First Spouse Jeffersons Haven't Skyrocketed yet - Will they?

To support LordM's European Trip, click here!

Comments

• Options
    I surely do not know. Presales on ebay have been lame. Sure bets have a way of not working out sometimes. That said, way too earlier to declare it a winner or loser. Many of the mint's recent products with limits have sold out with marginal gains. We shall see.
  • Options
    Personally I think the whole Spouse series will eventually collapse under its own weight.
    I just doubt there are 20-40,000 people who really want to spend $450-$600 for wives of presidents no one can name.
    It all smacks of Franklin Mint.
  • Options
    I agree but on the upside it's still a half onuce of gold
    who knows
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one has one in hand to deliver. I think once they are in hand they will rise. The money will be in pcgs graded 70's.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    It may be because the mint sight still shows them for sale...........we need the RED "NO LONGER AVAILABLE"
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Personally I think the whole Spouse series will eventually collapse under its own weight.
    I just doubt there are 20-40,000 people who really want to spend $450-$600 for wives of presidents no one can name.
    It all smacks of Franklin Mint. >>

I agree 100%. It is much different to put together a set of $15 ASE's and quite another on $500 gold coins. Grandma doesnt have a problem buying 2 ASEs for the grandkids, but there aint no way in heck she is going to drop a grand.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They may not have skyrocketed but they brought a little of the market back for me on the martha washingtons image
    Instead of sending back to the mint (just got them a week ago), I made a few hundred $ image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They were just issued.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It may be because the mint sight still shows them for sale...........we need the RED "NO LONGER AVAILABLE" >>

Bingo!!!!
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They may not have skyrocketed but they brought a little of the market back for me on the martha washingtons image
    Instead of sending back to the mint (just got them a week ago), I made a few hundred $ image >>

I suspect that the recent dip in bid prices for Martha Washington and Abigail Adams coins was an attempt by a certain dealer to discourage people from buying the Jeffersons, so that he could buy more of them. Of course, I may be wrong. However, his buys for the MW and AA coins have gone back up now that the TJ sale is over.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Just like the sales of Mint Ordered Coins Yet to be Delivered (These are NOT Pre-Sales) in the case of the 2006 W Unc's these prices will spike in the face of REAL deliveries.
  • Options
    IMHO it's the fact that no one has any of them yet. I think people realized after the first round of FS that the presales don't work out too well, and result in a lot of waiting.

• Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

<< <i>IMHO it's the fact that no one has any of them yet. I think people realized after the first round of FS that the presales don't work out too well, and result in a lot of waiting. >>

Yes, good point, and yes, the Martha and Abigail prices have declined signficantly and are apt to keep dropping.

I personally believe the Jefferson price will stay soft until they've been delivered and graded. Longer temer, unlike the others which I believe may be had down the road for melt, I think the Jefferson will do very well and hold its value quite well. The collector base for the Jeff will be much larger than that of the series.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    The Jefferson and whatever coin has the Seated Liberty design will hold their value IMO.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    No.
  • Options
    Yes they will skyrocket.

1'st I must say I think gold itself will increase as inflation increases. Inflation must increase because the Fed (and its worldwide peers) is and will continue to pump money into the system to provide liquidity to prevent problems initially caused by the subprime meltdown. If gold goes to $900/oz I will make a profit on my spouses.

2'nd it was very hard to get through to buy a mere 2 coins (1 oz) and I tried the whole time and only got filled near the end. After that the issue was sold out. So demand is there.

3'rd they have neat US Mint packaging. image

4'th registry sets.

So the supply is lower than the demand and I expect the intrinsic value to increase so it seems a no-brainer to me. I would not expect the value of a thing to skyrocket before it is even produced. image

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would they sky rocket? A lot of money, plus your paying $820 an ounce.

Little interest, except for all the flippers. Most people couldn't name the first four presidents if their life depended on it.

The Slaughter House is making all the money.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the Early Morning Joke!

TC71

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why would they sky rocket? A lot of money, plus your paying $820 an ounce.

Little interest, except for all the flippers. Most people couldn't name the first four presidents if their lif depended on it. >>

Do you mean most people couldn't name the first four first ladies?
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've already seen pre-sale prices hit $699.00 for the proof and $625.00 for the unc.Thats a hefty profit for a 2 or 3 day investment IMO.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    The Jefferson Liberty, IMO, will do well - much better than the first two issues that have collapsed in pricing due to NO REAL COLLECTOR DEMAND.

This newest issue appeals to classic as well as modern collectors,

it is beautiful,

the USM helped with a WIDE distribution - ensuring limited "pockets" of quantities (we think that there may be many who "beat" the limits, but, nothing has been delivered yet!),

unlike the haag's there is a real collector base for revived classic designs!!!
  • Options
    They may skyrocket for the first month or so and trail off until it settles at a small premium above bullion. They arn't very good looking gals anyhow.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    They will do just fine, doesn't matter if people don't know who the first 4 presidents were most people don't know who's on the nickel either but they aren't likely to be the people purchasing stuff either, the presales are most likely weak because of the fiasco last time and also that delivery may be almost a month out, I don't think most people like spending money only to wait a month or more to maybe get their purchase.
  • Options

<< <i>They may skyrocket for the first month or so and trail off until it settles at a small premium above bullion. They arn't very good looking gals anyhow. >>

I agree insofar as the the "wife" coins are concerned. When it comes to coins like the Jefferson, I would expect different results
  • Options
    1. There are ALOT of people on the "wait list" who probably really want one of these coins....so, the official "sold out" and delivery will trigger a big spike.

2. No offense to Mrs. Washington and Mrs. Adams, but Lady Liberty is absolutely beautiful and will demand a premium.
  • Options
    This whole series will die out before it is complete. My prediction is they will sell for 15% over melt. It reminds me of silver art bars and the Franklin Mint series of coins, they will just burn out and fade away in time.
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This whole series will die out before it is complete. My prediction is they will sell for 15% over melt. It reminds me of silver art bars and the Franklin Mint series of coins, they will just burn out and fade away in time. >>

Hi A (hope you like the Washington set)

This also is what I suspect due to the heavy cost of completing the series.
    But I already bought MW, Jefferson and probably will acquire a few mores.
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

Skyrocket. More pre-sales the better. Less inventory for when the real hype starts.

A couple early sales on ebay were for under $500, I'd be a buyer for anything under $500.

• Options

<< <i>This whole series will die out before it is complete. My prediction is they will sell for 15% over melt. It reminds me of silver art bars and the Franklin Mint series of coins, they will just burn out and fade away in time. >>

Melts $340 - plus 15% = $391. Looks like you can't go wrong if you get them from the Mint.

Down side of about $40. I've lost a lot more than that on a bad stock.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think flippers are very, very greedy. The one-coin per household limit sucks, but still, if you owned a stock that went from $42 to $60 in one day, would you be crying? That's pretty much where we stand now. Too bad we could only buy two shares of said stock.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

<< <i>1. There are ALOT of people on the "wait list" who probably really want one of these coins....so, the official "sold out" and delivery will trigger a big spike.

2. No offense to Mrs. Washington and Mrs. Adams, but Lady Liberty is absolutely beautiful and will demand a premium. >>

The reason for the slow price increase on Ebay is because almost everyone who wanted one initially (excluding those who didn't know or forgot) ordered one and now they are waiting to see if they get one. Once they have all been shipped, the thousands who ordered but don't get and all the others who now want one or forgot to order will drive the price up.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>2. No offense to Mrs. Washington and Mrs. Adams, but Lady Liberty is absolutely beautiful and will demand a premium. >> >>

Lady Liberty might be beautiful, but the rest of the coin is pretty bland. Having said, that I bought one because of my long term interest in Draped Bust anything. I've been buying AU examples of this design for my collection since the 1970s.

I agree with those that this series will fall on its own weight. Collector interest in going to go down the tubes when the mint gets passed Dolly Madison. It's a long way to the more popular and famous First Ladies like Eleanor Roosevelt and Jackie Kennedy. Maybe a few collectors will get juiced by Mary Lincoln, but I doubt it.

And there is the question about what they will do with James Buchanan. The historic rumor has been then he and certain Republican senator who has just resigned had similar tastes. At any rate there was no Mrs. Buchanan so perhaps we will see Ms. Seated Liberty instead. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    Jefferson should do well, popular design, popular President and worst case his great great great great grandchildren will buy them up
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One corollary that I don't believe has been mentioned is the similarity that this issue was released compared to the 1999 Silver Proof Set. Those were limited to 3 (?) for each household, limiting the availability to dealers. This resulted in $400 prices. Granted many more collectors are interested in Proof Sets than First Spouse, but it is something to consider.

Like many I ordered the Abby & Martha to make a quick buck (and I did). But I'm thinking the Jefferson might be a good longer term investment coin.

I also believe as many others have stated, that the interest in these will wane very soon, perhaps by the next issue.

This is just my FREE opinion (and worth every penny of it)
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>2. No offense to Mrs. Washington and Mrs. Adams, but Lady Liberty is absolutely beautiful and will demand a premium. >> >>

Lady Liberty might be beautiful, but the rest of the coin is pretty bland. Having said, that I bought one because of my long term interest in Draped Bust anything. I've been buying AU examples of this design for my collection since the 1970s.

I agree with those that this series will fall on its own weight. Collector interest in going to go down the tubes when the mint gets passed Dolly Madison. It's a long way to the more popular and famous First Ladies like Eleanor Roosevelt and Jackie Kennedy. Maybe a few collectors will get juiced by Mary Lincoln, but I doubt it.

And there is the question about what they will do with James Buchanan. The historic rumor has been then he and certain Republican senator who has just resigned had similar tastes. At any rate there was no Mrs. Buchanan so perhaps we will see Ms. Seated Liberty instead. image >>

We have TWO Liberty coins coming in 2008. The 7th and 8th coins in the series. This will keep interest in the series through the end of 2008. After that all bets are off, BUT if people have gotten in on the first eight, they might continue with the series.

2007 1 Martha Washington 1789-1797
    2 Abigail Adams 1797-1801
    3 Thomas Jefferson's Liberty 1801-1809
    4 Dolley Madison 1809-1817

2008 5 Elizabeth Monroe 1817-1825
    6 Louisa Adams 1825-1829
    7 Andrew Jackson's Liberty 1829-1837
    8 Martin Van Buren's Liberty 1837-1841

Furthermore, the Obverse of the coins are no big deal, except for Jefferson. But I think the reverses, except for Jefferson, are looking really good. If they can keep the reverse designs interesting, it may help the series .

• Options
    I know I'm committed to the series. If I don't get them as they come out, I'll never be able to assemble the entire collection.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One corollary that I don't believe has been mentioned is the similarity that this issue was released compared to the 1999 Silver Proof Set. Those were limited to 3 (?) for each household, limiting the availability to dealers. This resulted in $400 prices. Granted many more collectors are interested in Proof Sets than First Spouse, but it is something to consider.

Like many I ordered the Abby & Martha to make a quick buck (and I did). But I'm thinking the Jefferson might be a good longer term investment coin.

I also believe as many others have stated, that the interest in these will wane very soon, perhaps by the next issue.

This is just my FREE opinion (and worth every penny of it) >>

The 1999 regular and silver proof sets were originally limited to two of each per household.
    They must have expected to sell them all this way. When they eventually eliminated the limit, we ordered 50 regular sets for the store, and got 25 two-set boxes.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    I believe they will once they start delivery--Long term, it's got a lot of things going for it having a postive outlook, IMO.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file