Home U.S. Coin Forum

new gal on blocK"barbie" has ?????why should I not clean very old coins

Well..............I have a new hobbie..yeh me......so many questios about coins left to me..old dirty lady with beautiful long hair..dad called her Gw lady..said she was from his silver...can that be true..checking out ebay and reading on line////////image

Comments

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cleaning is a subjective term but its generally frowned upon in this hobby. It disrupts the natural patina on circulated coins and if done improperly can leave hairlines that greatly devalue them. Certain conservation efforts such as acetone baths to remove PVC damage are acceptable [if done properly!!!] but harsh treatments and dips are generally shunned. Hope this helps... BTW...Welcome to the forum...

Leo
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Cleaning or polishing coins (especially by beginners) results in coins losing most of their collector value.

(Just like in antique furniture - restored furniture sells for less than furniture with its original finish.)

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well..............I have a new hobbie..yeh me......so many questios about coins left to me..old dirty lady with beautiful long hair..dad called her Gw lady..said she was from his silver...can that be true..checking out ebay and reading on line////////image >>

Sounds like a Flowing Hair coin... Can you tell the denomination? About how big around is it?

Please don't try to clean it in any way, OK?
  • well there are dollar ones an half--i think half..i will double check..my granddad had them stored in a box passed down through gene.in family..I should have payed more attention..
  • jhusmanjhusman Posts: 1,082
    Take some photos for us.
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    It would be like refinishing an 18th century piece of furniture.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you want to lose 90% of the value of your coins? Yes?
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    Does this entire thread sound like a hoax to anyone else?

"old dirty lady with beautiful long hair..dad called her Gw lady..said she was from his silver"

GW lady? Said she was from his silver? A vague reference to the George Washington silver tea service, reputed to have been melted down to make the 1500 1792 half dismes? Pardon me for being a bit sceptical, but with the immature postings and the deplorable spelling, I think someone is having some fun at everyone's expense.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does this entire thread sound like a hoax to anyone else?

"old dirty lady with beautiful long hair..dad called her Gw lady..said she was from his silver"

GW lady? Said she was from his silver? A vague reference to the George Washington silver tea service, reputed to have been melted down to make the 1500 1792 half dismes? Pardon me for being a bit sceptical, but with the immature postings and the deplorable spelling, I think someone is having some fun at everyone's expense. >>

God bless you MrHalfDime image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• << <i>

GW lady? Said she was from his silver? A vague reference to the George Washington silver tea service, reputed to have been melted down to make the 1500 1792 half dismes? Pardon me for being a bit sceptical, but with the immature postings and the deplorable spelling, I think someone is having some fun at everyone's expense. >>

God bless you MrHalfDime image >>

steve

myCCset
  • Such a warm group of human beings..only you are incorrect..as you were a few days ago..you would think you both would have learned about being so discontent....I bet if I quizzed you on my field- medicine- you would seem like such a layman..the difference I would be understanding and not be so quick to pass judgement ..Guess that is why God put me in the field of Nursing..to nuture..
    No lollipop for you boys.......
    Barbie
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

image.....................................and you tell 'em!
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Barbie >>

That's just mean. Some nurturing candy-striper you are!

• << <i>Does this entire thread sound like a hoax to anyone else?

They have appreared on both sides of the street asking real questions. I vote not a Hoax. Welcome!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It would be like refinishing an 18th century piece of furniture. >>

Correct. Antiques Roadshow has it right. Don't refinish old furniture.
    The same thing is true with coins.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    Nobody has asked what year the coin is, so I will. What is the year and denomination?
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    geepers Barbie , is ure woeld like to seesome of your coins. do you have a camra to ktake any pictures for us tosee them?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

They have appreared on both sides of the street asking real questions. I vote not a Hoax. Welcome! >>

PM me a URL. I can't find any posts ATS!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • pb2ypb2y Posts: 1,461
    Do not clean or tamper with coins in any way. Add a photo with questions
    and you will receive expert opinion on your coins.

PS---You gave three conflicting answers as to how you acquired complimentary
    coins belonging to MWalace of SmallDollars.com. ICG has admitted a mistake
    has been made---no details were offered to explain the mistake.
    The story about owning a coin minted from silver owned by George Washington
    is veiwed with scepticism---a photo is needed.
    Coin collectors, by nature of the hobby, have a streak of paranoia---this along
    with personal coin knowlege and skill is the best freind they have. You will soon
    discover that members of this Forum are not so easy to hoodwink.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Barbie >>

That's just mean. Some nurturing candy-striper you are! >>

Where's fastrudy's popcorn guy ? Mean you say ? This lady , though not the greatest speller isn't what I would call mean, but then, that little "lollipop kid" song just jumped into my head.

"WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP KIDS" image Can you hear it now ? image

I found the Husker game much more intriquing than going to the Token and Medal show, but lookie here, kids, we got us a new soap opera going on. image

Ya gotta love this place, David. Slewing Goliath, an' all !
  • some real pieces of work on this forum
  • though not the greatest speller

Actually, it's funny you say that, as some of her posts contain perfect spelling and english and others have very poor grammer and spelling. It's almost like there's two people or something.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • The Lollipop Guild

• pb2ypb2y Posts: 1,461
    JapanJohn---can you supply a link to the ICG--MWalace fiasco.

• Seriously, look at some of the posts. Some are well written. Those are all just about signed "Barbie".

Then you've got these all Caps (until somebody mentioned it) posts with poor spelling and even worse grammer. Those posts are never signed "Barbie".

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
    Climb under this, Barbie !
    Robert Hooke's microscope (1665) - an engineered device used to study living systems

Where's the popcorn guy ? Another episode in humanity !

Nebraska 35
    Nevada 10

5:27 left in the 3rd quarter offensive push-off by Terence Nunn on a pass at the goal line.
  • Barbie has become the Richard Jewell of the coin forum. I hope she fares better than he did.
    I'm still curious about what the coin is.
  • yes.. post a picture of the coin
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    Well it could be two different people posting since there was supposed to be a 12 year old child in the mix somewhere................
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>yes.. post a picture of the coin >>

yes image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • To the skeptic's..
    It is me..my alter ego who gets fatique and spells/grammar poorly....I am only perfect in God's eyes and thats all that counts any way..Humanistic I need a dictionary..lolol
    I will note to cross my t's and dot my i's..
    For is grammar and spelling more important then intention..I think not...
    Barbie.
  • richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭

<< <i>To the skeptic's..
    It is me..my alter ego who gets fatique and spells/grammar poorly....I am only perfect in God's eyes and thats all that counts any way..Humanistic I need a dictionary..lolol
    Barbie.
    >>

i reely dont care bout yur speeling and grammur........ but that flashing butterfly thing needs to go image
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭

<< <i>To the skeptic's..
    Barbie.
    image >>

Who is this nut? Moderator please zap this person.
  • Ya know, Patricia Cornwell in her book about Jack the Ripper believes that many of the discounted letters that had excellent grammar as opposed to the grammatically mangled ones were written by one and the same author.image

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
    At least tell us what the coin is.
  • SANTA WILL BE BRINGING ALOT OF COAL.............................NAUGHTY FORUM.....MEAN......
  • I have a great book which could sum this all up
    THE BOOK OF LUKE18:1-8
    bottom line:
    "god is better than this judge.God will answer your prayer And God will answer the quickly,So, do not give up. Pray to God day and night....
    Barbieimage
  • I'm so glad I'm a pagan and don't feel the need to endlessly pummel others with my beliefs.image

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • post a picture of the coin please, love pictures of the old coins
    Lord, please let us know the year and denomination of this coin. Amen.
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To the skeptic's..
    Barbie.
    >>

Actually, I think so. In the real world we are all "judged" by what we present as ourselves. Grooming, dress, our language skills - these are all basis by which we "judge the messenger". Since we can neither hear nor see you, we have only the written word by which to form a judgement.

Further, regarding "judgement": I do not stand in Judgement of you (as God would), but simply use your communication skills to form an opinion of you - which we in the English language define as "judgement". Like it or not, we all do it - even you do. Both your spelling and grammar skills reflect on this.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Uh, since we're giving spelling lessons and because we're in the U.S., Judgment does not have an E after the D, unless your from the UK or maybe South Africa.....

• << <i>Lord, please let us know the year and denomination of this coin. Amen. >>

POTD! image
  • [q unless your from the UK or maybe South Africa..... >>

you're
    One should not clean any coins unless one wants to completely strip them of their value.
    Also, one should not cast their pearl unto the swine for about the same reason.

U.S. Coins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file