Home U.S. Coin Forum

Photo of Felix Schlag's Jefferson Nickel Souvenir Card

If anyone has a really good color photo of one of the souvenir cards issued by Jefferson nickel designer Felix Schlag in 1938, please PM me. The card includes a picture of his original nickel reverse design and a 1938 proof nickel.

Thanks!

Comments

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks edix, any idea what one of those cards sells for today? (Don't know why my post came in before yours.)
  • edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    Here's a photo of a signed card by Schlag, from Verne Walrafen's "Gallery Mint Museum ScrapBook". According to the site, Schlag made these up in the 1960's and sold them for $5 each. 400 were printed.
    Article from Verne's site
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Thanks! I've been able to locate the photo I needed.
  • LostSislerLostSisler Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    I went and grabbed a few things for this today...

This is the NUMBER 3 1938 Proof Jefferson Nickel...
    Close-up of same; ( I apologize for the lack of quality);
    This is a shot of the ad that sold one of these examples;
    This is a nice presentation piece with a photo of Felix that's signed. The envelope that contained this specimen says that this is the first coin, but I cannot be sure.
    Because to Err is Human.
    I specialize in Errors, Minting, Counterfeit Detection & Grading.
    Computer-aided grading, counterfeit detection, recognition and imaging.
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting all those photos.

Felix Schlag is buried in Owosso, MI - about 30 miles from my home - smoeday I will go visit, I wonder if there is any reference to the nickel.....

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe there was an article in Coin World recently that stated the ANA or someone was financing a headstone for Schlag which honored his contribution to the numismatic community. Here is a link to a non-Coin World site:

http://www.michigancoinclub.org/mimatist.html
  • the full step nickel club has a write up on the souvenir cards issued by 3 different banks in the 60's in this month's newsletter.
    Great information!

The first three Jefferson nickels from approved dies went to President Roosevelt, Secretary Morgenthau and Director Ross on Sept. 30, 1938. Mrs. Roosevelt and Mrs. Morgenthau were at the Philadelphia Mint when production began on 6 October, but nothing mentions an official "first strike" ceremony.
  • LostSislerLostSisler Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    Where are those coins?
    I'll need them in 2038 for display!
    Diagnostics?
    Proofs?
    Thanks!
    Because to Err is Human.
    I specialize in Errors, Minting, Counterfeit Detection & Grading.
    Computer-aided grading, counterfeit detection, recognition and imaging.
    I have not been able to locate any of the three although I've searched the obvious places. Here is what director Ross wrote to the President:

"The first Jefferson nickel to come off the press reaches me today as a sample piece. It is my desire that you should possess it. I hope earnestly that it measures up to your expectations. It is expected that a consignment will be ready for the public in a few weeks."

I suspect the three were made on a medal press (as would have been most of the other individual trial pieces), from new dies. The design would be identical to that released for circulation on Nov. 15, the surfaces would have been "satin"-like and free of luster imparted by use. Detail would have been exceptional and at least as good as the best regular mirrored proofs. Rim would have been square. (Note: Philadelphia did not begin production until Oct 6.)

At least that’s my current conjecture after reading the mint files and relevant Roosevelt and Morgenthau papers.
  • FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Well, now I know where the #3 proof set is... I've only seen (or heard) of approx. 30 of these sets over the last 10 years or so. I've wondered how many still exist.

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    The #1 specimen was sold in Bowers & Merena's November 1987 auction. I'm afraid I don't know anything offhand of its prior or later pedigree.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • I have one of the head-shaped plaques. The lettering & photo framing differ a little from the one shown here. I contacted Capital Plastics & they said mine was made by them and was a "one of a kind" (maybe because of those slight differences), but they wouldn't tell me who contracted to have it made. My thought was that maybe it was Felix Schlag who had these made, but I have not been able to verify it one way or the other. The MS nickel at the top of mine does not appear to be an early strike, but overall it is a neat display, especially for a Jefferson Nickel enthusiast.
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The #1 specimen was sold in Bowers & Merena's November 1987 auction. I'm afraid I don't know anything offhand of its prior or later pedigree. >>

Hi

I knew who won that auction and actually tried selling it for them in the late 1990's in one of the coin lists I mailed out. JHF bought the #1 plague a couple years ago and if you do search there's a thread about it.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• njcoincranknjcoincrank Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    A few years ago I bought the #1 framed Schlag nickel at a Central States show in Chicago (I think it was Chi-town, could have been St. Louis). Sold it a few months later to a collector of Schlag memorablia and numismatic americana. I believe he still has it.

njcoincrank
    www.numismaticamericana.com
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LostSisler
    I've never seen the numbered '38 proof piece. Very nice.

I'm not a Jefferson collector but I can appreciate that.
    I'm imagine it's a "must have" for those who do collect 'em.

How many were made?

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

An article about a souvenir card prepared by the Secretary of the Treasury, Henry Morgenthau, and given to President Roosevelt appeared in Coin World last October. Morgenthau’s card was prepared by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing and included a nickel from the first bag opened at the treasury department.

PS: Thanks to everyone who provided photos and information on the Schlag cards and souvenirs.

<< <i>I have one of the head-shaped plaques. The lettering & photo framing differ a little from the one shown here. I contacted Capital Plastics & they said mine was made by them and was a "one of a kind" (maybe because of those slight differences), but they wouldn't tell me who contracted to have it made. My thought was that maybe it was Felix Schlag who had these made, but I have not been able to verify it one way or the other. The MS nickel at the top of mine does not appear to be an early strike, but overall it is a neat display, especially for a Jefferson Nickel enthusiast. >>

First, welcome to the CU forums HuDey! Not too long ago, one of the head-shaped plaques came up on ebay and sold. likely to someone on these boards. There's another thread here on this plague somewhere. But I could only caution that something like that may have been made in someone's garage. Now it's known that capital plastics has made them or at least one of them but we don't know who was behind them. Still an interesting piece of numismatic Schlag memorablia that has created some interest but yet little is known about the history behind their existence.

Leo

<< <i>I have not been able to locate any of the three although I've searched the obvious places. Here is what director Ross wrote to the President:

"The first Jefferson nickel to come off the press reaches me today as a sample piece. It is my desire that you should possess it. I hope earnestly that it measures up to your expectations. It is expected that a consignment will be ready for the public in a few weeks."

I suspect the three were made on a medal press (as would have been most of the other individual trial pieces), from new dies. The design would be identical to that released for circulation on Nov. 15, the surfaces would have been "satin"-like and free of luster imparted by use. Detail would have been exceptional and at least as good as the best regular mirrored proofs. Rim would have been square. (Note: Philadelphia did not begin production until Oct 6.)

At least that’s my current conjecture after reading the mint files and relevant Roosevelt and Morgenthau papers. >>

This also reminds me of my interest and quest to locate and view the two presentation pieces of 1967 that where given to the Schlag family to commemorate the year the US Mint added his initials FS to the Jefferson nickel. The red Guide Book of US coins states that those two presentaional pieces were proof coins but it has also been noted by others that those two coins were SMS pieces. Through a dealer who had close relations with the Schlag family said that, although they are aware of the two presentational pieces given to Felix Schlag, they didn't have any idea on their whereabouts. So I didn't get to see them and I pursued the matter no further.

Leo

• Welcome HuDey!

Great stuff here folks! Naturally my acquisitive nature and fondness of everything Jefferson Nickel has me wanting some of that stuff!
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first 3 Jefferson nickels struck in September 1938 from production dies were sent to Director Ross. She sent #1 and #2 to President Roosevelt and Secretary Morgenthau, respectively. None of the three have been located.

<< <i>The first 3 Jefferson nickels struck in September 1938 from production dies were sent to Director Ross. She sent #1 and #2 to President Roosevelt and Secretary Morgenthau, respectively. None of the three have been located. >>

Searching for such relatives and getting a foot into their doors with hopes that they'll actually take the time to allow you to see the items or if they'll dig around for this stuff can prove to be a time consuming empty adventure. I imagine, a larger organization like the Smithsonian or the ANA, if they wanted to locate such memorabilia and showcase it to the public in one way or another, those relatives would pull that stuff out of thin air right at the door just to oblige them. image

Leo

• NCVikingNCViking Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Steve,

I'm fairly new to CU and just saw your message re: Felix Schlag notarized certificates. I'm proud to own the #5 speciman which sold, along with the #3 in a Bowers auction many years ago. The funny part of the story is that I offered the owner more than what he received at auction BEFORE he consigned them. He purchased them directly from Mrs Schlag. The #5 is pictured in Breen's Encyclopedia book.

NCViking

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file