Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are old "Coin Boards" valuable?

My dad bought a box of old coin albums and stuff at a garage sale a couple of weeks ago and in the box were these 11x14 coin boards dated from the 1930's by Whitman.

There's 5, No.355, blue felt "Lincoln Head Penny" boards dated 1937. There's 1 No.355 in green felt dated 1938. Then there's a black smooth (not felt) board, No.391? (it's kinkd of smudged) "Lincoln Penny Collector" dated 1934.

Then there's 3 smooth black, No.390, "Indian Head Penny Collector" boards, dated 1935 and one dated 1939. 1 blue felt, "Indiand head Penny" board, No.354, dated 1938. 1 smooth black "Indian Head Cent" board, No.394, dated 1938.

There's one blue felt Buffalo nickel board, No.357, dated 1938 and one smooth black buffalo Nickel board, No.397, dated 1938.

There's also a blue felt "Liberty Head Nickel" board, No.356, dated 1938 and one smooth black "Morgan Dime-Liberty Head" board, No.398, dated 1938.

Most of them almost look like new. The smooth black ones especially.

Are these worth anything other than imagining how cool they muct have looked full and hung in a picture frame on someone's wall a long time ago?
What Mr. Spock would say about numismatics...
image... "Fascinating, but not logical"

"Live long and prosper"

My "How I Started" columns

Comments

• Options
    jhusmanjhusman Posts: 1,082
    Read this month's numismatist, and coin world from (I believe) last weeek - articles in both about coin boards.

Why dont' you fill one up?
  • Options
    August's or July? I don't think I got August's yet?

"Live long and prosper"

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    They likely have some value, but I really wouldn't know. PM Sent.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know a couple people who collect old boards but they
    avoid paying premiums for them. I guess there are some
    pretty scarce boards and folders.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    There's also this christmas card box with Dennison "Coin mailing cards" in it. They are about the size of a recipe card, with holes to fill for 2 cent pieces, 2 nickels, 2 dimes, 1 quarter and 1 half and a place for a name and address. The instructions say, "Insert coins, stick flap (it's like a pre-glued flap you have to wet and then stick over the coins) and fill in name and address.

Those look brand new and pretty cool. I can see a grandma filling the holes, licking the flap, putting the sticky flap over the coins image and mailing it to some grand kid.

"Live long and prosper"

• Options
    EdscoinEdscoin Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭
    David Lange has a website about old boards and has writing a book about them. He buys and sells them as well.
    Web Site
    ED
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    If you'll check across the street, you'll probably find a post by David Lange about his new book on coin boards.

Apparently, he's collected them for a while.

(There are also some articles about his new book in some of the recent editions of the E-Sylum, the free weekly e-mail from the Numismatic Bibliomania Society. If you don't subscribe to the E-Sylum, you should!)

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options

<< <i>
    (There are also some articles about his new book in some of the recent editions of the E-Sylum, the free weekly e-mail from the Numismatic Bibliomania Society. If you don't subscribe to the E-Sylum, you should!) >>

I get that email but sometimes it's kind of long for me to read the whole thing. Thanks for telling me to look there though. image

"Live long and prosper"

• Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    I get that email but sometimes it's kind of long for me to read the whole thing.

Sigh.

Somehow, no one ever complains about how long the Harry Potter books are.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    David Lange's excellent book on coin boards is being printed and shoudl eb available in a few weeks. I suggest you check his web site before you do anything with (or to) the old boards you have.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Sigh.

Somehow, no one ever complains about how long the Harry Potter books are. >>

That's kind of like comparing a chess tournament to a football game. image

"Live long and prosper"

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you have in your possession, sir - are some bits of Americana. Those are the types of things that a collector might want.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Get in Contact with David Lange. He will be able to help you out as he collects them.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "That's kind of like comparing a chess tournament to a football game."

I agree, who wants to watch a football game.... same crap every time. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What you have in your possession, sir - are some bits of Americana. Those are the types of things that a collector might want.image >>

Thanks for the help. Samuel's pertty excited about what we found in that box. image
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    I have one of those. It has writing on it though.
    this too.
    imageDo not taunt Happy Fun Ball image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have one of those. It has writing on it though.
    image >>

Don - I realize this is an old thread, but yoru Colonial Coin & Stamp board for Mercury dimes is a real rarety! Although it's in poor condition, do take care of it.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Chris - Is today revive Coin Boards threads from the past Friday? image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    notlogicalnotlogical Posts: 2,235

<< <i>Chris - Is today revive Coin Boards threads from the past Friday? image >>

This is the first time in a long time a thread I've seen a thread of mine on the boards. I'm glad schools out so I can spend more time here. image

"Live long and prosper"

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Chris - Is today revive Coin Boards threads from the past Friday? image >>

image I was thinking the same thing...

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At my last coin club meeting on Monday... I picked-up the early nickel & Liberty nickel (premium card #103), and Liberty dime (premium card #105).
    These are copyright 1938 from Joseph Oberwise & Co. The cards are also in excellent condition.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

Why yes... yes it is!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file