Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ANACS vs PCGS with 1875 s . trade dollar chopmarked

AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
which grader would sell for the most regarding a 1875 trade dollar (s) that is chopmarked?

do you have to be a member of either to send in?

thanks
John
Collecting
HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

Comments

• Options
    PCGS.

Membership?

ANACS - No
    PCGS - Yes
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can join PCGS by signing up for the collectors club.
    easy.
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    I only have this 1 coin to grade and I dont know if it's worth it to sign up.
    what would the the diff in selling prices between the 2 companies?
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS ALL THE WAY !!! I recently submitted 75 -s chop mark dollar that came back in a holder as a MS 63.
    The best way to go...
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608

<< <i>I only have this 1 coin to grade and I dont know if it's worth it to sign up.
    what would the the diff in selling prices between the 2 companies?
    John >>

Odds are that it would not be worth joining for one Trade Dollar. The exception is if the coin is in exceptionally high uncirculated grade. If you post a photo it might be helpful.

Other things to consider: PCGS rejects some coins for problems. ANACS typically holders problem coins (except fakes and those with active PVC contamination). Another option, if a person is trusting, is to piggyback the one coin with someone else's submission. That avoids the necessity of joining, or paying the much higher single coin grading fee (fees are less for 8 or 10 coins).
  • Options
    In sportscards, a PSA card might sell for $200 whereas the SGC equivalent would go for $150-175.

is that close to the price difference between pcgs and anacs?
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608

<< <i>In sportscards, a PSA card might sell for $200 whereas the SGC equivalent would go for $150-175.

is that close to the price difference between pcgs and anacs? >>

That is ballpark. The same coin that gets the same grade at both companies will sell higher in PCGS plastic. However, for the average Trade Dollar, I'd say about a 50% chance of that scenario playing out. Other factors are that the coin might grade out higher at ANACS, or might be returned in a plastic bag with no grade from PCGS.

Check Teletrade and Heritage auction archives to see real world differences. Again, a lot depends on the actual coin and a better description or photos would be helpful.

Probably the most cost effective way to submit is to piggyback on someone else's submission. Perhaps one of your card buddies also is a PCGS club member or is sending in a submission to ANACS. The main thing for Trade Dollars is to get the coin authenticated because of the high percentage of fake coins.
  • Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll second RedTiger's analysis here. In a PCGS slab, the chopmarked Trade dollar will go for more money. But, you also have a greater chance of getting a bodybag from PCGS.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've often wondered why they grade chopmarked trade dollars. I know that many are chopmarked, but it is still damage. It's no different than many 19th century coins that are couterstamped.

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    mcmximcmxi Posts: 890
    And it is obvious that they are circulated right?
    If I was half as smart as I am dumb Iwould be a genious
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    If youy only have one coin to grade and don't plan on submitting any more, it isn't worth it to join.

Instead, I would locate a dealer that submits coins to PCGS and have them send in your one coin with their submission. You would probably just pay the grading fee for your one coins, and a small amount of the postage. If you can't locate a dealer, there are several here on these boards that are trust-worthy and would be willing to help out as well.
  • Options
    Not sure if you guys remember me posting this coin last summer, but I am in need of some funds so I'm going to get the ball rolling on it this week. Here are some new photos of the coin (I guess photos are better for coins than scans- although not sure about mine, this is as close as my camera could get):

do these photos help at all? I'm planning on heading to a local coin shop to ask about the coin on monday. I went to a different local shop a few months ago and asked about the coin. He said upon looking at the coin that he was skeptical, but it weighed out correctly. I'll hopefully get it weighed again and have an exact # for you guys on monday. Is anyone interested in the coin pending the weight?
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Those are some neat looking chopmarks. However, from the photos it appears that the coin might have been cleaned. That would lower its value considerably. Let us know how it turns out.
  • Options
    sonoranmonsoonsonoranmonsoon Posts: 2,078 ✭✭

<< <i>In sportscards, a PSA card might sell for $200 whereas the SGC equivalent would go for $150-175.

is that close to the price difference between pcgs and anacs? >>

When comparing coin services to cards, in general (at least with vintage cards), PSA and SGC are both top tier companies. In coins, PCGS and NGC would the 2 top tier companies that would be a similar fit.
    ANACS would probably compare more like GAI. So to answer you question, the anacs holder may bring a discount much lower than PCGS, perhaps as much as 50% in some cases. Of course there are exceptions, depending on the coin or series. Others may dissagree.
  • Options
    For common, circulated, chopmarked Trade dollars there is a disparity between PCGS and ANACS, but in most cases it would be less than 50 percent. I'd say anywhere between 10 and 30 percent, but it can vary quite a bit coin-by-coin as chopmarked Trade dollars are not widely collected.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That TD looks well cleaned. Do you want a body bag or a slab with the cleaning indicated on the label? Go with ANACS.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    If you guys were looking to maximize your profit on this coin, this being the only serious coin you are looking to sell, what would you do? sell raw? anacs? ngc (do they require membership?)

thanks
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    If the coin has been cleaned...

PCGS will BB it and it will be a waste of good money

ANACS will slab it with a Details grade, and might sell better than keeping it raw
  • Options
    PCGS will likely bodybag it for cleaning. NGC won't slab chopmarked Trade dollars. ANACS will slab it and note that it is cleaned and chopmarked. I believe NCS and SEGS also slab chopmarked Trade dollars. PCI did as well when they were in business.

You'll get a little more for it if in is in an ANACS slab, but I am not sure it is worth the slabbing fees. (Sorry, but in my mind the answer is not clear-cut.)

If you are in no hurry to sell you might want to take it to a coin show and see what you are offered. Then if you are unsatisfied with the offers you receive send it to ANACS, get it slabbed, and put it up on eBay.
  • Options
    With all the counterfeit TD's out there, an ANACS slab will generate more bids than a raw coin would.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks to be cleaned and likely a BB at PCGS. I tend to agree with Perryhall that it would like have better resale in an ANACs holder than raw especially on ebay

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    need to put it in a napkin on a windowsill for a year or so.. take another picture and get back to us.. you might have a monster toner similar to all the thousands of others that have been "created" over the last few years. image

Brown napkins work better BTW. image
  • Options

<< <i>need to put it in a napkin on a windowsill for a year or so.. take another picture and get back to us.. you might have a monster toner similar to all the thousands of others that have been "created" over the last few years. image

Brown napkins work better BTW. image >>

Taco Bell napkins --- setting the standard.

• Options
    I went to a local coin dealer today and he said it was fake because it looks 'pitted' I think. I looked through a loop at it and another trade dollar but I couldn't tell a difference.

Did he know what he's talking about? is it worth it to even grade the coin now?

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

<< <i>I went to a local coin dealer today and he said it was fake because it looks 'pitted' I think. I looked through a loop at it and another trade dollar but I couldn't tell a difference.

Did he know what he's talking about? is it worth it to even grade the coin now?

John >>

Take it to a show and get a few more opinions. Sometimes harsh cleaning will cause minor pitting. Did you weigh your coin?

• Options
    I can't tell from your photo, but if by "pitted" the coin dealer meant "granular," that is one indicator of a cast counterfeit. Send it to ANACS and you'll know for sure.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file