Home U.S. Coin Forum

Interesting CoinRaritiesOnline article on avoiding doctored coins...

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
Here is the link: CRO

They have some good advice in the article. I particularly like the following comments, which I find interesting:

"We also favor coins in older holders. An older holder doesn’t guarantee that a coin is original, or unconserved, but it does guarantee that it wasn’t messed with recently, and given the dramatic acceleration of coin doctoring in the last few years, that's important."

and

"Take a coin you purchased from a dealer, tell him you want to sell it back and see what he offers you. The guys who believe in the coins they are selling should pay you strong money (generally 85-90% of your purchase price if you bought it recently or if the market has not changed) to get them back."

What do you think of the article?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    These guys are as solid as they come. Too bad they don't sell cool coins like early date Kennedys.

Russ, NCNE
  • "early date Kennedys"

Say what?.

Who is John Galt?
  • FletcherFletcher Posts: 3,294
    Now THAT is what I am talking about. Way to step up CRO!!! Educate your clients and they become clients for life image

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great article with good, common sense advice. That Wnuk is really on the ball. image

Great article for those who may have missed it.

Scroll down to the July 31st 2007 entry.

cheers.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's great that collectors have resources like this forum and fellow numismatists who care enough to share information that is vital to the health of the hobby.
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Take a coin you purchased from a dealer, tell him you want to sell it back and see what he offers you. The guys who believe in the coins they are selling should pay you strong money (generally 85-90% of your purchase price if you bought it recently or if the market has not changed) to get them back." >>

An article definitely worth reading. The guys at CRO are top notch. And they put their money where their mouth is...I have sold coins back to them as I was looking to upgrade or move into other areas. They've always been willing to take them back and have always offered me strong money for them.
  • LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Top Notch Group!!!! image
  • I read that article a while ago (and recommend reading the others too). The advice is something that all collectors should take to heart. However, I don't think that more than 10-15% of the dealers I have run across would buy back a 'strong' coin at 85-90%---the offers would more likely be in the 75-80% range.

The comment regarding the appearance of lots of doctored coins in TPG holders during the last couple of years is quite accurate, and far more disturbing than issues with overgrading. Anyone who plans on dropping 2-5x on a coin because it's wildly toned needs to be especially careful.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file