Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the most effective way to collect Silver Bullion

mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
And what differnt kinds Are better than others, Bars, coins Ect. Oh yea why don't you guy's & gal's post some for me.
TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image

Comments

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    If you collect 100 ounce bars you could make one hell of a BBQ pit!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90% silver - dimes, quarters, halves and dollars!

A little loose change I picked up a while ago.

• Options
    BlackBeardBlackBeard Posts: 1,064
    It depends on your intent. If you are of the survivalist type and want silver for bartering, then you should purchase 90% silver coins as you can use small amounts in trade. Otherwise, I just buy rounds, 10oz and 100oz bars. The bars store real nicely as they are stackable. The 100oz bars have a nice heavy feel to them, pretty impressive. My favorite is the Englehard extruded.
    Witty sig line currently under construction. Thank you for your patience.
  • Options
    SpaceMonkeySpaceMonkey Posts: 3,311
    Bars are cool... if i could only have a Gold Bar like this! image

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    all silver is good, either bars, rounds or coinage, if the maker is well known and respected / trusted and the price paid is close to bullion price. Bars are best for bulk storage and for large quantities where small amounts are not needed to be sold off. Rounds are good for large quantities, aesthetics and for smaller, yet uniform denomination size that can be bought or sold off in smaller quantities if needed. Rounds offer a great way to both buy silver at bullion, yet collect a wide variety and array of styles, shapes and designs. You can collect them for fun like numismatics yet pay bullion prices.

Lastly, 90% silver coinage has the advantage of being very recognizeable, divisible and would probably be the ideal in a survivalist scenario to be used as barter/coinage/money for either a hyperinflationary or fiat currency collapse. Of the three, bars and rounds need to be cared for more to some degree (more so the rounds) as fellow bullion buyers don't necessarily care for dinged up and scratched to hell bars or rounds. 90% silver can be just thrown into any old container for storage with fewer worries about maintaining the integrity of their surfaces.

I like to look for Walker rolls for my 90% silver. You get a majestic looking half dollar at a bullion price.

Tyler
  • Options
    Here is the extruded version, it looks like I need to replace the Johnson-Matthey 10oz with an Engelhard at some point.
    The 1oz looks rather puny next to the 100oz.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pick up silver eagle rolls on ebay when I can get them cheap enough. Recently bought 10 rolls of 93's at 247.00 a roll delivered.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

<< <i>I pick up silver eagle rolls on ebay when I can get them cheap enough. Recently bought 10 rolls of 93's at 247.00 a roll delivered. >>

Nothing wrong with that pricing. Nice buy!image
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Silver is too bulky, I prefer gold and platinum.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    Rob790Rob790 Posts: 547
    Be careful with bars, some smart guys hollow them out and fill them with base metals for a big profit.

I'd stick with smaller coins or medals with reeding on the edge. A lot harder to debase and not as big a profit margin for the smarty pants.
  • Options

<< <i>Silver is to bulky, I prefer gold and platinum. >>

I'm On my way up also image
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the 90%. That way at least I feel like I am buying coins. I try to buy walkers and mercs.
  • Options
    jhusmanjhusman Posts: 1,082
    I buy the oldest 90% I can find. Walkers, Mercs, Occasionally a roll of SL quarters, which is a thrill. I do buy anything, though. I have a mix of bars, 90%, eagles, etc. I also have a lot of liberty commemorative 3pc set. lots of times you can pick it up for spot gold value and get almost an ounce of silver for free.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I used to buy 90% silver, I stuck to halves, and at one time, I bought some rolls of Silver Eagles, but more recently I found a new hobby in buying original BU rolls of 90% coins. Unfortunately, the premiums on these have now jumped significantly, so I am now thinking about my next move............

Back in about 1979, I bought a 20 Balboas Proof, and it was awesome, but I sold it when silver peaked. I notice that these are selling on ebay for not alot of premium, although it does vary, auction to auction. They might be fun to collect.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Silver is to bulky, I prefer gold and platinum. >>

Nothing wrong with gold or platinum bullion, although a 100oz bar of either gold or platinum can get rather pricey. I have a 1oz gold bar on the way and it will be my first bar form or non coin gold bullion. I haven't gotten into the platinum yet, but the coins are very tempting.
  • Options
    BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    Years ago (B4 I knew better) I collected 1oz Silver "Krugerrands" which were nothing more than a knock-off of the Gold coin..

My goal was to be able to tell everyone I had squirreled away a bag of 100 Krugerrs.. ha

Now I'd rather have a 100oz bar... oh well image

Current goal is to put together a $1,000 bag of XF-AU Morgans dated 1878-1899..
  • Options

<< <i>Years ago (B4 I knew better) I collected 1oz Silver "Krugerrands" which were nothing more than a knock-off of the Gold coin..

My goal was to be able to tell everyone I had squirreled away a bag of 100 Krugerrs.. ha

Now I'd rather have a 100oz bar... oh well image

Current goal is to put together a $1,000 bag of XF-AU Morgans dated 1878-1899.. >>

• Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    <<If you collect 100 ounce bars you could make one hell of a BBQ pit!!>>

At least until you hit melt point image
  • Options
    really interested in siver. were you refering to $1000 face. TIA
  • Options
    silver, sorry new here
  • Options

<< <i>silver, sorry new here >>

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you mean the most cost effective it's a toss up between large sized bars (100oz+ but get name brand only Engelhard and Johnson Matthey) or bags of circulated U.S. 90% silver coinage.
  • Options

It takes awhile but I like to horde the silver I still get for face value:-)

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few shares of the Silver ETF in my IRA.

I'm thinking of getting them slabbed. image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>I pick up silver eagle rolls on ebay when I can get them cheap enough. Recently bought 10 rolls of 93's at 247.00 a roll delivered. >>

Geez, the seller got hosed. Nice swipe!
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Silver medals are nice too!

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    My father used to buy $1000 face bags of 90%. I filled most of my Merc and Walker sets with coins from melt bags. As $1000 face bags they are marketable and you pay little premium. In a survivalist mode you could always barter off the coins one by one. All this and numismatic intrigue as well? I would never buy ugly bars or grotesque rounds when real coins are around. (JMO)
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154

<< <i>Be careful with bars, some smart guys hollow them out and fill them with base metals for a big profit.

>>

True, I prefer 10 oz. bars over 100 oz. for this reason.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at the picture in the first post Nice collection there! I would like to have my own silverhenge some day!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Be careful with bars, some smart guys hollow them out and fill them with base metals for a big profit.

I prefer the 1 oz bars.They would have to be real slick to fill them.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only effective way to collect silver Bullion ?

Heads Up

.... that is , if they are ASE bullion
    The reverse design is not attractive at all image
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Collect? Effective?

Not sure how those two go together with Bullion.
  • Options

<< <i>Collect? Effective?

Not sure how those two go together with Bullion. >>

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90% circ silver hoard here.................
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file