Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Toned 1949-D Franklin.

SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
1949-D's are VERY tough Frankies to find with nice toning. I bought this one about 17 years ago and still have yet to see, in hand, a nicer one. It is graded NGC MS65. Why it is not FBL is beyond me, it surely should be. About 3ish years ago I decided to resubmit it to NGC to correct the obvious screw-up about the FBL. It came back non-FBL again. Dang near drove me crazy (not that I have far to drive). C'est la vie. The toning background is fairly dark ('49-D's generally are fairly dark), but as you can see there are some very nice iridescent highlights throughout. LucyBop was kind enough to do the images, and I think she did an EXCELLENT job on this coin.

Edited for formatting.

Comments

• Options
    added to cart. Where do I make payment?
  • Options
    bushmaster8bushmaster8 Posts: 5,616
    Very, very nice! As you say, attractively toned 49-D's are few and far between.

Cross that sucker! What are you waiting for?
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not a toner lover, but I love your toner !
    I am certain PCGS graders would love to see it, too.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fabulous coin!!!

It does look like FBL from the pic. Maybe the area just to the right of the crack in the bell is the concern.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    I want it, I don't think Ive seen more vibrant toning on a 49-d before. Ive seen a couple that rival that but this one is way up there on the charts.
  • Options
    Thank you folks for the nice comments!

<< <i>Very, very nice! As you say, attractively toned 49-D's are few and far between.

Cross that sucker! What are you waiting for? >>

I was thinking about doing that. I am not a PCGS member yet, so I've never submitted a coin to them. One thing that Lucy mentioned is that PCGS oftentimes will knock a point off a darker coin. Has anyone found this to be true ? I was thinking of sending the '49-D in to them in the slab.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin. I would love one like that for my Dansco. image
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    That is a fully toned Franklin beauty.
  • Options
    TonedCoinTraderTonedCoinTrader Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful Toner, Sky!!

Toned Coins for sale @ tonedcointrader.com
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    I believe PCGs would go MS65FBL on that GEM....

It is a darker coin, and I do believe PCGs often deducts a point... In my experience of many submissions.. But in this case I think it crosses and goes FBL (it is a SLAM DUNK FBL coin with PCGs)

a tad lighter, and the reverse a bit more appealing, and this one probably goes MS66FBL...

I would look for a cross as opposed to a crack out (which I tend to do)...

Becuase if for some reason (dark coin) they don't cross it, it is perfectly fine in its NGC holder... Although I also think it should be FBL with them as well...
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    hey ! I don't want you going crazy , let me help ease your pain . I will cut you a check for two grand -then you won't have to worry yourself sick .image
  • Options
    that's $ 2000.00 AMERICAN DOLLARS !image
  • Options
    2000$ .......................and it crossed !
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    I doubt Sy's coming off this one. He's had it for 17 years, well 19 years now! That's a keeper

"It is what it is."
  • Options
    Interesting to see this thread is back up.

In late 2007 I tried to cross this sucker. It DNC. I think the darkness of the toning is what kept it back, although IMO it is FULLY deserving of a 65FBL. So in late 2008 I tried to cross it again. This time it came back PCGS MS65FBL. Needless to say, I was a very happy sucker to finally get it in the slab I thought it should have been in since the beginning.
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

That's great!

PCGS getting smarter in 2008-2009.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a good as it gets.
    Amazing coin in the hands of a collector who cares for it and shares it with the rest of us.
    Bravo!
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    One of the best looking Frankie's I have seen. Its FBL I have a half dozen in plastic that says so and the lines are not as clear as these.
    Nice!
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting to see this thread is back up.

In late 2007 I tried to cross this sucker. It DNC. I think the darkness of the toning is what kept it back, although IMO it is FULLY deserving of a 65FBL. So in late 2008 I tried to cross it again. This time it came back PCGS MS65FBL. Needless to say, I was a very happy sucker to finally get it in the slab I thought it should have been in since the beginning. >>

$2050 image
  • Options
    Fun to see the old posts, that from the pic is a beauty...now just cross it back intime to an OGH...
    and I dont care if it says FBL...but that color in an OGH you can name your price to me....
  • Options
    Awsome news sy.image
  • Options
    RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    Wow, great coin! The color is amazing!
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file