Home Metal Detecting

ENTRY/NOMINATION THREAD: MAY, 2007 "QUALITY" AWARDS (Best Coin/Jewelry/Relic/Wildcard find

Please enter your finds (or nominate somebody else's finds) for May '07's five Metal Detecting Forum "Quality" awards:

The five "quality" award categories are:

Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token
Best U.S. Coin/Token
Best Jewelry Item
Best Relic/Other
Best "Wild Card" Find

There is no limit on the number of entries per forum member. If your find seems humble in comparison to some of the others, don't sweat it- we like to see what everybody's found, be it humble or fantastic. Just post your item and a brief story of how you found it, or a link to your thread about the find, if there was one. If you can, post a picture of your item (small to medium-sized pictures of single items, please, rather than large groupings, since the pictures will be used in the poll threads at the end of the month). If you make a neat find and do not post it here, we might miss it later when we put the award polls up, so be sure and post your better finds here even if you already posted your own thread about them. Also, let us know what category you're entering for.

Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token: This includes all world coinage with the exception of US minted coins obviously.

Best U.S. Coin/Token: this category is pretty self-explanatory. Note that it is for detector finds of coins minted in the U.S from 1776 to present - if a coin or token was found in circulation or by eyesight, it belongs in the "Wild Card" category. The award is for single coin finds, though if a cache is found all in the same hole and/or same container at the same time, it may be entered as a single item.

Best Jewelry Item: also pretty straightforward, but if you find coin jewelry, you can choose to put it here or in the Coin category. Also, if you find lost jewelry and return it to its proper owner, you still get to enter it in the competition, even though it wasn't "finders keepers". (See if you can get a picture of it, though).

Best Relic/Other: this category pretty much covers anything found with a detector that isn't a coin or jewelry.

Best "Wild Card" Item: this category is only for finds made without a detector. It may include coins or jewelry, but if you found those with your detector, they go in the categories above. This is for surface "eyeball" finds, circulation coin finds, and pretty much anything else, including nonmetallic finds like arrowheads, bottles, fossils, gemstones, gold nuggets, minerals, natural history specimens, pottery, prehistoric artifacts, and so on. Be sure and mention that the item you are entering is a "Wild Card" find, so we'll know which category to put it in when the polls go up at the end of the month.

Comments

• demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    ok here's my entry for foreign coin. dug this yesterday. its a cash coin about the size of a half dollar. i think it vienamese. the other side has 2 dragons. can't find this exact coin in my krausse books (1801-1900 and 1901-2004).
  • kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Have this for the wildcard found while roll searching - a 1995 DDO obverse penny , never thought I would find one of these still circulating as they were discovered so early.

imageimage

Found this dollar size token for best US coin/token entry, same size as silver dollar (38mm) but made of copper:

imageimage
  • Best U.S. Coin/Token

>>Found the token, It's listed on the second eddition of the Kappen token book.

At time of print, Only two had been reported.

PIONEER / CIGAR / STORE / C. VAN DEVENTER OXNARD, CAL. // GOOD FOR / 25 / IN TRADE

Brass and 25mm in size.<<

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Best Jewelry Item

R.I.P. pendant

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Best Relic/Other

Warranted Superior
    Info: Eagle 1860's Hand Saw Disc: These are the ones that so often are misidentified as a button when shaft is missing. Actually they were mounted on handsaws of the period. Marked "Warranted Superior" with a droop wing eagle.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Here's mine for best jewelry:

Costume bracelet

also best jewlery
    also costume jewelry

Best coin/token
    good for 25c in trade token

Wild card
    this porcelain doll

and one more Wild card
    This old medicine bottle I eyeballed

HH,Tom
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    NON-US COIN:

Zot's Finnish silver 25 penniä 1869

Zot's Finnish silver 25 penniä 1901

JEWELRY:

Zot's olympic pin, Stockholm, 1912

Zot's 18K gold ring

Zot's 18K gold ring #2

Zot's silver pin

RELIC:

Zot's star
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Best Jewelry Entry. A Catholic cross:

• DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    My best US coin for may is this 1943 Washington Quarter.
    The '46 was last months wildcard find from the CoinStar and the '42 my son found in change.
  • gene2393gene2393 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    My Best Jewelry Find

forgot to add that neckalce is sterling silver 18"
  • davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Best U.S. Coin

1915 Barber quarter
  • MercfanMercfan Posts: 700 ✭✭
    Here's an entry for May's "Wild Card Find" of the month.

I went out for a one-hour walk last night, and on the way down my block saw a pile of household items that a neighbor put out at the curb prior to his upcoming move. Among the stuff I spotted a couple of nice looking picture frames, and I made a mental note to check them out on my way home.

When I did so, they were indeed nice--well worth saving from the garbage truck. Even better, they were sitting next to a large glass vase filled with just over ten pounds of modern foreign coins. Have a look:

I was more than willing to go to the trouble of lugging that vase half a block to my house.

Thanks to Lord Marcovan for suggesting that I enter the contest!

"Coin collecting problem"? What "coin collecting problem"?
  • best jewelry.....14k white gold ring w/5 diamonds....hh

"see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • My train coat button for relic

My Cub Scout canteen cap for relic

imageimageimage
  • Haven't made time to post my own stuff, but I'd like to nominate Bentfork's
    big silver from Texas... 1917 Walking Liberty half dollar:

• DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    My best relic find for May was this 3 1/2 inch Brass bell I dug from under a neighborhood porch demo.
    It was totally crusted. I put it thru the sonic cleaner at work and the hit it a bit with a scotch pad.
  • Didn't think I'd make it in time to enter this for May (found a couple weeks ago), but I beat the polls...

This won't compete with Zot's gold but at least I found a tiny bit of AU for the month. image

Best jewelry:
    10K Gold ear ring

• marymmarym Posts: 713
    I can already see this is going to be a tough voting month. You guys have once again out done yourselves with these terrific finds!
    Mary
    Be Still and Know
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is totally amazing what people will put out for the trashman. Those 10 lbs of foreign coins that Mercfan found proves it. The best thing that I have picked up on a walk on trash day was an almost new Lawnboy lawn mower that wouldn't start for the owner. I actually went to the door to make sure that it was being trashed. The owner told me I was more than welcome to it. I also pick up a lot of copper tubing this way.
  • Thanks for the nomination Riccar. That's a very pretty earring you found. Where's the rest of the stuff you found at the beach?

G.
    imageimageimage
  • Oops. I already hit the button once image

G.
    imageimageimage
    how long until we know the results?

gene2393
  • If its not too late like to enter 10 K sapphire ring found on the 27th of may.
    Thanks

Chicago Ron
    imageimage
  • I'll be posting the polls soon. I'm gonna wait to see if the mighty Phut is going to enter any of his finds.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
    ok thanks