Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My Topps Cardinals Autograph Collection

frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 10, 2024 5:19PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
I have been inspired! I am very new to TTM autographs. I sent my first ones in February of this year. I have been amazed at Elemenopeo's thread about the 2006 Allen and Ginter's project. I have now started a vintage Topps Cardinals TTM project of my own. I even used his title as a template (with his blessing) - Dear Mr. Schoendienst (My vintage Topps Cardinals auto TTM project). (edited to say that I have since changed the title).

Many of you know that I am a Cardinals team set collector. I started out just wanting to get all of the Topps from 1951 to present. Well, once I finished that, it branched out to Bowman, to vintage inserts and test issues, then Fleer, then Donruss, so on and so forth.

On March 12th of this year, I sent off my first 1952 Topps Cardinals card for my TTM project. In a little over 2 months, I now have 92 autographed Topps Cardinals players.

There is one thing I want to mention. It seems that most TTM guys that collect vintage autographs only send out reprints. It seems like either nobody in TTM has vintage cards or they don't want to risk sending in the real thing. The ones I have sent are the real deal.

I started in 1952 with only the players that sign for free (except Schoendienst - I figure $5 per sig was worth it). I am now nearly finished through 1960 and have sent off cards through 1962 (with a few exceptions of some later cards that I had doubles of).

I took cards from out of my Cardinals team set collection (other than a few doubles I had). The expensive part was actually replacing those cards to put back into my regular team set collection. I have replaced all cards sent up to 1960. I will continue to replace the ones that I have sent. I don't want to say that I am glad that these players have passed on, but let me say that I was fortunate not to have to replace any 1952 Topps high numbers. The 4 players featured on the 1952 Topps high numbers in the Cardinals team set have since passed away.

I will do my best to keep this thread updated with scans. I have scanned every card I have gotten so far. Here they are. By the way, I have enjoyed it a lot!

Cardinals_Autographs_001

Cardinals_Autographs_002

Cardinals_Autographs_003

Cardinals_Autographs_004

Cardinals_Autographs_005

Cardinals_Autographs_006

Cardinals_Autographs_007

Cardinals_Autographs_008

Cardinals_Autographs_009

Cardinals_Autographs_010

Cardinals_Autographs_011

Cardinals_Autographs_012

Cardinals_Autographs_013

Cardinals_Autographs_014

Cardinals_Autographs_015

Cardinals_Autographs_016

Cardinals_Autographs_017

Shane

Comments

• Really cool -- thanks for sharing. so the players just mail them back to you? Do you use a padder mailer SASE or just a plain old white envelope?
  • jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Beautiful!

Glad to see that I'm not the only guy with Mike Tyson's signature.
    When I was a kid, I was a BIIIG Tyson fan.

Now when people see my signed Mike Tyson ball they think it's this bozo:
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shane

This absolutely amazing! Thanx for sharing the scans.

Very impressive and worth the trouble of replacing the cards in your team sets.

It's interesting how much some of the sigs have changed over the years.

Congratulations on a great start and good luck on your future TTMs.

Getting the vintage cards signed is a plus IMO!
    mike
    Mike

• << <i>Really cool -- thanks for sharing. so the players just mail them back to you? Do you use a padder mailer SASE or just a plain old white envelope? >>

Not thread jacking, just answering a question. I kind of do TTM autos and I send the card with a sase regular envelope inside of a larger plain old envelope. So far I have gotten Tom Lasorda, Terry Pendleton, Chad Cordero, Adam Laroche, and Randy Wolf. It's fun but the best time for current players is Spring Training.
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Really cool -- thanks for sharing. so the players just mail them back to you? Do you use a padder mailer SASE or just a plain old white envelope? >>

Just a plain 'old white envelope. I put some in a Card Saver. I started out putting all of them in Card Saver's until Wally Westlake signed the holder instead of the card (which I still have).

About Tyson and the 75's - I started out actually wanting to get the entire 75 Topps team set signed since I had an extra set and it's my birth year. That is until I discovered sportscollector's.net and found out that most of that team doesn't sign. I guess I thought that since I had the Meiselman list, then EVERYONE in that address list would sign. I very quickly found out the hard way. I sent off the whole team set at the end of February and that's all I have back.

Thanks for the compliments so far. It has been one of the most enjoyable projects I've ever undertaken.

Shane

• Meiselman list?

<< <i>Meiselman list? >>

Yes, the Harvey Meiselman list. You can order it from www.sportsaddresslists.com.

It thought that it was absolutely necessary until I discovered sportscollectors.net. You can find almost the same information (plus more sports) on sportscollectors.net for $30 a year. The Meiselman list is a 260+ page book that costs $30. He updates it once a year.

Shane

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It has been one of the most enjoyable projects I've ever undertaken. >>

Shane

I can sure see that!

Mike
  • ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Great stuff, Shane! Can't wait to see more. image

• << <i>

<< <i>Meiselman list? >>

Yes, the Harvey Meiselman list. You can order it from www.sportsaddresslists.com.

It thought that it was absolutely necessary until I discovered sportscollectors.net. You can find almost the same information (plus more sports) on sportscollectors.net for $30 a year. The Meiselman list is a 260+ page book that costs $30. He updates it once a year. >>

Oh thanks. I had never heard of this before.
  • Frank, that is astounding. Is there an emoticon for speechless?
    Great idea... please keep us posted.
  • just sent my first batch today 74 topps baseball 2 cubs & 2 A's
    later jeff
    set needs
    03/04 & 05/06 topps black
    72-77 topps baseball raw
    72-75 topps football raw
    any years santo,williams,banks,
    payton,butkus,sayers,piccalo,ditka,hampton
    wantlist

good transactions katscards,swartz1,packman,Salinas
    I would kind of like to know if anybody is doing or going to do anything similar. If you have a favorite team and like old cards, I highly recommend it.

Shane

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭
    THAT'S A GREAT COLLECTION

CONGRATS!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

edited April 25, 2018 10:14AM
    The mailman had a some gifts for me today. Yes, I asked for 6 auto's for one person. I explained why, and he graciously signed them all.

Cardinals_Autographs_018

Cardinals_Autographs_019

Shane

Here are a few more successes for today.

Cardinals_Autographs_020

Cardinals_Autographs_021

Shane

Time to get caught up on some recent successes.

Cardinals_Autographs_022

Cardinals_Autographs_023

Cardinals_Autographs_024

Shane

• fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    SHane, impressive set, keep it up !
    edited April 25, 2018 10:15AM
    Just one envelope today, but I'll take it.

Cardinals_Autographs_025

Shane

By the way, that now makes 128.

Shane

edited April 25, 2018 10:15AM
    These make 130. Not sure if anybody is looking, but I said I would keep it updated.

Cardinals_Autographs_026

Shane

Dude! I'm looking. The Shantzes look great. Nice job. image
  • Very solid effort.

I admire your passion.

Kudos!
    edited April 25, 2018 10:16AM
    Here is 131.

Cardinals_Autographs_027

Shane

• I've been looking too . . .
    And looking and looking and looking .
    It is sad to see the way some of the hands shake now when they sign .
    I'm certain the guys are MORE than happy to do it for you too .
    I wonder if a lot of them feel forgotten now after beig out of the game for so long , being in the limelight like the way they used to be .
    And back then , I think the places were really lit with lime light .
    Very interesting collection that you have .
    I'm sure they think highly of you for even having the cards and asking .
    Very Nice indeed !
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a great collection! Thanks for the pics I enjoy checking them out as well.
    edited April 25, 2018 10:16AM
    Mail time! 132 and 133.

Cardinals_Autographs_028

Shane

edited October 14, 2017 12:24PM
    As a footnote to Schoendienst - I just got back today a "return to sender". It was the 2nd TTM I ever sent. Of course, I did not put "donation enclosed" on the envelope, so he didn't even open it. I later learned that if you put "donation enclosed, he will open and sign very quickly. Also, I believe that Red himself is the one that wrote "return to sender" on the envelope. The "R" and the "S" looks just like his signature. Red Schoendienst has 15 letters and "return to sender" has 14 letters. I thought that was interesting.

Shane

edited April 25, 2018 10:17AM
    Here is 134. I had sent Broglio a few cards before. I just overlooked this one. I think he has a real nice autograph.

Cardinals_Autographs_029

Shane

I got these yesterday. That makes 140.

Cardinals_Autographs_030

Shane

• ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Great thread. Keep 'em comin!
    141 and 142 came in the mail today. Thanks for the comments. It has been and still is very enjoyable.

Cardinals_Autographs_031

Shane

Back from Canada in 11 days. This makes 143 and 144.

Cardinals_Autographs_032

Shane

edited April 25, 2018 10:18AM
    I had a good mail day, today. This makes 158.

I love Barney Schultz's signature with the very classy whoopteedo below his name.

Boy, isn't Dick Groat's signature one of the most consistent you have ever seen?

Cardinals_Autographs_033

Cardinals_Autographs_034

Shane

• DaddyRichDaddyRich Posts: 241 ✭✭
    Simply amazing collection you have going there, I wish you luck on all the rest you are waiting on.
    Just glad to be here with everyone.
    I didn't get but 2 all week. These two make 160.

Cardinals_Autographs_035

Shane

This makes 164.

Cardinals_Autographs_036

Shane

• dtsadtsa Posts: 235 ✭✭
    love this thread. Keep them comin'!
    edited April 25, 2018 10:19AM
    After being out of town, this is what I had in the mailbox. That Mahaffey is a pretty tough high number. This makes 171.

Cardinals_Autographs_037

Shane

I got these yesterday. This makes 177 different Topps Cardinals cards autographed.

Cardinals_Autographs_038

Cardinals_Autographs_039

Shane

Nice additions!
    These 3 have came in the mail in the last couple of days. This makes 180.

Cardinals_Autographs_040

Shane

Ok, these 2 are a little bit different. I guess, technically, they are TTM since the mail delivered them, right? I got these from Mickey's Sportscards. My reasoning for getting these is this - I have 7 1952 Topps autographed and 7 1953 Topps autographed. Album pages for 52's and 53's are 8 pockett pages. That glaring hole on the first 2 pages of my album was bothering me, so I purchased these to make my first 2 pages complete. There were only 7 players from each of those years still alive, so I had to buy these deceased players. Mr Brecheen died in 2004 and Mr Mizell died in 1999. Of course, I will have to bust out the Brecheen, but I don't mind because it will make my album look better. If you haven't checked out Mickey's Sportscards on the web, you might find it interesting. There are hundreds of vintage and modern signed cards.

By the way, this makes 182 (yes, I'm counting them.)

Cardinals_Autographs_041

Cardinals_Autographs_042

Shane

edited April 25, 2018 10:20AM
    These make the count 187. Not sure why, but Joe Cunningham kept my 1961 Topps card. I guess I'll just get another and send it to him again.

Cardinals_Autographs_043

Shane

duliba was my college baseball coach at Wilkes University in NE PA.
    where's he living now, is it still around wilkes-barre??

nice collection
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

He lives in West Pittston, PA.

Shane

thanks
    that's about 15 minutes north of wilkes-barre. i din't think he would be far from there.

good luck with you collection

it fun for me to see what your getting you must not be able to wait for the mail each day...
    Fred

<< <i>thanks
    that's about 15 minutes north of wilkes-barre. i din't think he would be far from there.

good luck with you collection

it fun for me to see what your getting you must not be able to wait for the mail each day... >>

You are right, there. I have my wife call me each day when the mail runs. She called me today saying that I got a George and Barbara Bush signed photo that I requested. When I came home though and researched it, it appears to be autopenned. I was kind of let down. I thought I had a nice piece of history. Oh, well.

Shane

edited April 25, 2018 10:20AM
    Hey, remember Rick Ankiel? You know, the phenomenal pitching prospect who mysteriously lost his control and gave up pitching to become an outfielder. Well, everybody might want to keep an eye opened. He is healthy now and is playing everyday for AAA Memphis. He is tearing it up with 21 HR and 56 RBI's in just 254 at bats. The Cardinals say that they would have already called him up, but he is out of options and they would have to put him on waivers in order to send him back down. They want to make double sure that he is major league ready and will be in the majors to stay.

I am rooting hard for this guy. Everyone thought his career was over. He is just 27 years old. It looks like he is going to make an unbelievable transition to the outfield.

Anyway, I thought that I would go ahead and send him some cards to sign before he gets called up and gets too busy. I sent them to the Memphis Redbirds. I got these back in 6 days. I know one of these is not Topps, but I thought I would show it anyway. He has only been featured on 2 regular Topps card, plus, I wanted to get him to sign something with him batting.

This makes 189 Topps cards.

Cardinals_Autographs_044

Shane

• I love your collection. Nice job all around!
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter