Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Topps Cardinals Autograph Collection (1952 - 1961 Topps totally complete!)

Comments

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2018 10:30AM
    I had a decent mail day today. This makes 355. This second multiple makes me want to go back and get some of the old team cards signed. Anybody have any experience with that? I know Randy does. I wonder what the most signatures that will fit on a team card?

Cardinals_Autographs_090

Shane

• Options
    edited April 25, 2018 10:30AM
    One little interesting note - on the 1994 Topps Cormier, it looks like he ran out of black ink, so he re-signed it in blue. At least he cared enough to want the signature to show up. This makes the count 361.

Cardinals_Autographs_091

Shane

• Options
    edited April 25, 2018 10:31AM
    I am going back and getting some of the All Star cards as well. Tom Herr is a great signer. Andy Benes is another more modern player that is a great signer. This makes the count 370.

Cardinals_Autographs_092

Cardinals_Autographs_093

Shane

• Options
    After a short drought, I got these in the mail in the last couple of days. These 2 team cards are the first ones I've gotten back of the team cards. I got the idea from Randy. I have sent off Cardinals team cards from 1957 through 1981. I will be getting every auto I can on the team cards. It will be non stop until then. I received the team cards from Mr Taylor in 4 days. That ties my record. This makes 374.

Cardinals_Autographs_094

Cardinals_Autographs_095

Shane

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    arent team cards great,i love the looks of the old ones, the new ones pretty well stink for autographing now,i got to the team set registry and print it out and see who all is one em,alot of the times they dont have em listed on the back as to who is even on the team, i swiped up 12 50 bowman fb slabbed cards of dead guys i need last nite on my thread, first ones ive seen iin a while,he had 18-i got 12 i needed,nobody got anybefore me so i was gladimage
    i got some cardinals cards for ya
  • Options
    I got quite a variety today. I got some team cards and also some regular cards ranging from 1971 to 2004.

Hey, does everybody remember Gregg Jefferies? He's a very quick signer. I got him to sign all of his Topps Cardinals cards. I also got him to sign his 1988 Score rookie card that used to be as hot as a fire cracker. Now, it's not worth a cent. I thought it would be neat for nostalgia's sake to get him to sign it. I didn't scan it, though, because it's not a Cardinals card.

The team cards are signed by Al Hrabosky. Now, off to more players.

The count is now up to 389.

Cardinals_Autographs_096

Cardinals_Autographs_097

Shane

• Options
    edited April 25, 2018 10:32AM
    Well, I forgot to scan a 1972 Topps Cardinals team card signed by Joe Grzenda. He was the first to sign it, but I sent it out to another player without scanning it. Anyway, here are a few more. Counting the 1972 Team card not pictured, this makes an even 400.

Cardinals_Autographs_098

Cardinals_Autographs_099

Cardinals_Autographs_100

Shane

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

>>

He used to live in my neighborhood. I played baseball with his son on a team he was the assistant coach of. Smart guy, and decent player. Unfortunately, he was kinda blocked at shortstop by some guy named Ozzie Smith.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    Today was a pretty good mail day. The Terry Bradshaw will be going to John Frascatore as well. This makes the count 407.

Cardinals_Autographs_101

Shane

• Options
    I got another team card back today. This one is getting ready for a third round. Pitcher George Culver signed it this time.

This makes the count go to 410.

Cardinals_Autographs_102

Shane

• Options
    edited August 24, 2019 8:53AM
    This is what has come in the mail in the last few days. This brings the count to 418. The Frazier/Herr/O'Brien is going to O'Brien. It is a little risky at 75% with only 4 people trying. I'll keep my fingers crossed. In case you can't see it very well, the 71 Topps is signed by Jerry DaVanon and the 72 Topps is signed by Stan Williams. Another side note, Mark Whiten signed this 95 Topps and kept my 93 Traded and 94 Topps.

Edited to say - I never received the 1980 Topps Frazier/Herr/O'Brien back after sending to O'Brien. Ending up getting a card with Herr signing in light ink in 2011, thinking that I never had one at all. I never changed the count so in August of 2019 I purchased a card with all 3 signatures. I did not increase the count because I added one to the count with the second Herr without subtracting 2 when the first one was never returned.

Cardinals_Autographs_103

Shane

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    i see you got team card fever too shane,i got me some old 50s baseball and fb ones coming in mail from feebay,got some neat stuff today,i like the sweetspots,they are working good,sammy buagh check too from card shop,couldnt help myself
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2018 10:33AM
    I got a few more in the last couple of days. The 1956 Topps team card has a new signature of Solly Hemus. He is a great signer at 84 years old. The new signature on the 1973 Topps team card is Wayne Granger. This brings it to 422.

Cardinals_Autographs_104

Cardinals_Autographs_105

Shane

• Options
    edited April 25, 2018 10:33AM
    I have some mail. This brings the count to 425.

Cardinals_Autographs_106

Shane

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>is the card going out to deleon next??? >>

Bill Corcoran just had a Private Signing with DeLeon last month (he is impossible in the mail)
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>is the card going out to deleon next??? >>

Bill Corcoran just had a Private Signing with DeLeon last month (he is impossible in the mail) >>

Is Bill Corcoran a show promoter or something like that? Where was the signing?

Shane

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    Bill Corcoran is one of the biggest (and most reputable) mail order autograph dealers around (also sets up at the bigger shows). The signing was in Puerto Rico...He is selling signed DeLeon cards (has a wide assortment) for $10 plus postage..PM me if you want his email address to contact him
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    I think it would be a little risky to send it to DeLeon without knowing for sure that he would sign. Thanks for the info.

Shane

• Options
    edited April 25, 2018 10:34AM
    This is what the mailman has brought me in the last few days. This makes 431. I got Vina in between the Mitchell Report and the ESPN interview. I was a little surprised. I figured he would go into hiding. The additions to the team cards are Tom Hilgendorf on the 1970 and Bill Virdon on the 1956. I am sending out question letters to players that are on team cards, but that don't have Topps cards and are not in the sportscollectors.net database. We'll see how that goes.

Cardinals_Autographs_107

Cardinals_Autographs_108

Shane

• Options
    This makes 437. Ray Washburn signed 5 team cards, 2 index cards, but did not sign my 67 and 68 Topps team card. Oh well.

Cardinals_Autographs_109

Shane

• Options
    Hope everybody had a great Christmas. I got these 2 on Christmas Eve. This makes 439.

Cardinals_Autographs_110

Shane

• Options
    Do you happen to have any Chris Carpenter autos?

If not I may be able to help you.

PM me.

Edited to add: Sorry, I didnt realize you're mainly focused on vintage. But still, if you're interested, PM me.

• Options
    I started doing vintage, but now, I am up to the 2000's decade. Yes, I might be interested in Carpenter. I don't have him.

Shane

• Options
    PM Sent
  • Options
    I got a few over the holidays. These make the count rise to 445.

Cardinals_Autographs_111

Shane

• Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Wow, what a fun project! I am glad to see so many of the players are willing to sign.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2018 10:35AM
    Just as a side note - Jim Beauchamp passed away from leukemia on December 27. I did not even know he was ill.

Cardinals_Autographs_096

Shane

• Options
    This makes 449. Both of these players (Groat and Schaffer) signed and returned them in 6 days.

Cardinals_Autographs_112

Shane

• Options
    once again, i need to mention that i am jealous of this collection. NICE!
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options

<< <i>once again, i need to mention that i am jealous of this collection. NICE! >>

I take that as a compliment. Thanks.

Shane

• Options
    RIP Gerry Staley. He died Wednesday at the age of 87.

Cardinals_Autographs_002

Shane

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    those 52's look great!!! very nice.
    i love looking at your cards here.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    I've had a pretty good couple of days. Here is what the mailman has brought me. Joe Cunningham is the new addition to all of the team cards except the 1956 and the 1970. The 1970 was signed by Bill Dillman. The 1956 team card was the first in a little experiment.

There are players listed on the front/bottom of the card that did not appear in a 1956 Topps card. One of those such players is Bob Stephenson. Bob Stephenson only played in that one year that he was pictured with the team and since he did not have a regular baseball card, he was not in the Sportscollectors.net database. So, I got his address from Meiselman's book and I sent him 2 index cards and a question in my letter asking him if he would mind signing a team card. He signed the index cards and he checked "yes" on the letter. That autograph actually made me feel pretty good. I don't know for sure, but something tells me that he just appreciated someone remembering him since he only played one year.

These make the count rise to 458.

Cardinals_Autographs_113

Cardinals_Autographs_114

Shane

• Options
    edited April 25, 2018 10:36AM
    Active players don't usually sign. However, Woody Williams is a really good signer for being active. This makes the count 462.

Cardinals_Autographs_115

Shane

• Options
    This makes 466. I sent Ken Hill 4 cards. He only signed 2. The addition to the team cards was Frank Linzy. I am hoping to get to 500 during Spring Training.

Cardinals_Autographs_116

Shane

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Good Stuff Frank ! image

• Options
    These make 470. I had sent these 2 team cards to Ray Washburn along with 5 others. He only signed 5 and sent these 2 back unsigned, so, I resent these 2 and got them back today.

Cardinals_Autographs_117

Shane

• Options
    edited April 25, 2018 10:37AM
    This makes 472. Bobby Shantz is added to these team cards.

Cardinals_Autographs_118

Shane

• Options
    This makes 475. Carl Warwick was added to the 62 and 65. Paul LaPalme was added to the 56 card. Paul LaPalme is a super, super nice man. He sent me an extra signed photo and a nice letter in response to mine.

Also, I sent him a 1955 Bowman card which he signed. He did not have any Topps cards except the team card. Stay turned for a new thread coming about my vintage Bowman autos.

Cardinals_Autographs_119

Shane

• Options
    This makes 478. I am hoping to get to 500 before Spring Training, but I don't think I'll make it. If not, then I want to get there with my Spring Training TTM's.

Steve Huntz added his name to the 1970 Topps and Dave Ricketts added his name to the 1967 and 1968 Topps.

Cardinals_Autographs_120

Cardinals_Autographs_121

Shane

• Options
    edited April 25, 2018 10:38AM
    This makes 480. Jeoff Long added his name to the 1963 and 1964 Topps team cards. He also sent a very nice letter in return.

Cardinals_Autographs_122

Shane

• Options
    edited April 25, 2018 10:38AM
    Well, I did not get these through the mail. So, I decided to buy these. I gave $180 for these except for the 1966, which I already had. That's an average of $22.50. It costs $20 each to get them authenticated. I knew that was the only way to get Brock (either that way or pay him way more than that). Some might not do this, but I am going to bust them out so that they will go in my album. I will just put the flip behind the card just to keep.

Yes, I am counting these. I had the 1966 in my album, but I had not counted it in this thread until now.

This make the count rise to 489.

Cardinals_Autographs_123

Cardinals_Autographs_124

Cardinals_Autographs_125

Shane

• Options
    edited April 25, 2018 10:39AM
    This makes 490. With these team cards, maybe I CAN get to 500 before Spring Training.

Dick Groat added his name to this one. I forgot to send him this 1966 Topps when I sent him the others.

Cardinals_Autographs_126

Shane

• Options
    edited April 25, 2018 10:39AM
    Well, folks, I have made it. The 1978 Topps team with Mike Tyson's signature makes the count total rise to 500!!!!

In the first picture, Alex Grammas added his name to those team cards. In the second picture, Mike Tyson added him name to those.

Cardinals_Autographs_127

Cardinals_Autographs_128

Shane

• Options
    I love the Brock's way to go!
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2018 10:40AM
    Here is 501, 502, and 503. Eddie Kasko added his name to the team cards. Tony LaRussa sent back 2 unsigned, but at least he did sign this one. Maybe I can sent them to him one at a time.

Cardinals_Autographs_129

Cardinals_Autographs_130

Shane

• Options
    edited April 25, 2018 10:40AM
    Wow! Two of the best managers in the history of baseball in 2 consecutive days. First LaRussa, then Torre. I sent Torre in thinking they may not ever come back. Now, I may have to send in his 70's Cardinals cards.

Jerry McNertney added his name to the team cards.

This makes 508.

Cardinals_Autographs_131

Cardinals_Autographs_132

Shane

• Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Frank,

I have been enjoying this thread. Have you sent out any to Stan Musial or Pujols yet? I did not go through all the pages to see. Thanks for continually sharing your new additions.
  • Options

<< <i>Frank,

I have been enjoying this thread. Have you sent out any to Stan Musial or Pujols yet? I did not go through all the pages to see. Thanks for continually sharing your new additions. >>

Yes, I have sent a cards a few times to Musial. He charges a very large fee for him to sign any items that fans send him. However, a nice trade off is that he always will send a real signed postcard for free. I've gotten 3 of them.

Pujols? He only signs for his charity or something like that. He does not sign through the mail.

Thanks for the comments. I have enjoyed this project tremendously.

Shane

• Options
    edited April 25, 2018 10:41AM
    After a long drought, this makes 510.

Al Hrabosky is one of the fastest signers there is. He sent it back in about 6 days. He always does.

Are you surprised to see Lou Brock through the mail? Believe it! I got this through the mail...by way of Mickeys Sportscards. It came with a letter of authenticity from PSA/DNA. I got it for $20. Now, all I need for a complete Brock Topps collection is 1974, 76, 77, 78, and 79. Anybody got these?

Cardinals_Autographs_133

Shane