Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My Topps Cardinals Autograph Collection (1966 - 2002 Topps totally complete!)

Comments

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

Up next is a Cardinals fan favorite....a 1984 Topps Bob Forsch. I seemingly remember Mr Forsch hitting a grand slam (as a pitcher) when I was a kid. Mr Forsch sadly passed away in 2011, just days after the Cardinals won the memorable 2011 World Series.

The raises the total to 1,244.

Cardinals_Autographs_436

Shane

I have gotten a couple of 1984 Topps lately because I am so close to completing the team set. After getting this Bruce Sutter, I now only need 3 to complete the team set. I still need a George Hendrick, an Ozzie Smith All Star, and a Bob Forsch Highlights card.

This Sutter card increases the total to 1,245.

Cardinals_Autographs_437

Shane

Up next is a fairly scarce one that I am pleased to add to my collection. Here is a 1954 Topps Bill Sarni. Mr Sarni passed away in 1983. In the 1954 season, there was a game in St. Louis on July 18 against the Philadelphia Phillies in which, both Sarni and Phillies catcher Stan Lopata played the game without wearing chest protectors because of the intense heat. I thought that was interesting.

This increases the total to 1,246 Cardinals signatures on Topps cards.

Cardinals-Autographs-438

Shane

Up next is Lindy McDaniel's brother.....Von McDaniel. Mr McDaniel passed away in 1995. At 18 years old, he pitched a complete game, 2 hit shutout in his MLB debut for the Cardinals. However, control issues later turned him into a minor league third baseman.

This increases the total to 1,247.

Cardinals-Autographs-439

Shane

I recently added this 1958 Topps Ken Boyer to my collection. For those that don't know, because Mr Boyer passed away in 1982, his signed cards are a little pricey. They usually sell for well over $100. I got this one for considerably less and was pleased to get it.

This increases the total to 1,248.

Cardinals-Autographs-440

Shane

After a little break, I have a few more to add.

Up next is a 1984 Topps George Hendrick. Mr Hendrick is a fairly tough modern signature. I only need an Ozzie Smith AS and Bob Forsch HL card to have the entire 1984 Topps Cardinals team set 100% signed.

This one increases the total to 1,249.

Cardinals-Autographs-441

Shane

Up next is a 1986 Topps Ozzie Smith PSA/DNA. For some reason, this card is fairly difficult to locate signed.

This raises the total to 1,250.

Cardinals-Autographs-442

Shane

This next one is a replacement. I like this one better.

Eddie Miksis passed away in 2005.

The total stays the same at 1,250.

Cardinals-Autographs-443

Shane

Up next is a couple of signed cards from a Cardinals favorite. Placido Polanco was a very nice all around player. In our hobby, he is probably most famous for being mistaken for Albert Pujols on the back of Pujols' 2002 Topps card.

These 2 raise the total to 1,252.

Cardinals-Autographs-444

Shane

Up next is a Christmas present from my dear wife. She got me an Ebay gift card and I was able to purchase this very nice 1961 Topps Curt Flood signed and authenticated by JSA. The ball point ink signatures are my favorite on vintage cards. They just have a vintage feel to them. Mr Flood passed away in 1997.

This increases the total to 1,253.

Cardinals-Autographs-445

Shane

• yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

Do you have a wantlist? I doubt I have anything to help you out but you never know.

@yankeeno7 said:
    Do you have a wantlist? I doubt I have anything to help you out but you never know.

I do, but it is on a spreadsheet and would take time to compile. I need to do that. I will try to post it here.

Basically, for vintage cards, I only need the toughest ones. I'm sure there are many modern ones that I don't have that are probably fairly easy.

Shane

Here is another tough one that I have recently added. This 1958 Topps Curt Flood RC is authenticated by JSA.

This increases the total to 1,254.

Cardinals-Autographs-446

Shane

• RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@frankhardy said:
    Here is another tough one that I have recently added. This 1958 Topps Curt Flood RC is authenticated by JSA.

This increases the total to 1,254.

Cardinals-Autographs-446

Amazing collection! I’ve really enjoyed going through this whole post! Thank you for sharing!

Thank you, Rofles....and welcome!

This guy is a first ballot HOF'er. I never thought I would have his rookie card signed, but here it is. This card was signed at the 2001 National Convention In Cleveland. Here it is...a 1965 Topps Steve Carlton RC.

This raises the total to 1,255.

Cardinals-Autographs-447

Shane

edited February 9, 2019 10:20AM

Up next.... 3 more Steve Carltons - 1967 Topps PSA/DNA, 1970 Topps, and 1971 Topps.

This makes the total 1,258.

Cardinals-Autographs-448

Cardinals-Autographs-449

Cardinals-Autographs-450

Shane

Up next is a 1963 Topps Tim McCarver. I know a lot of people don't like McCarver as an analyst, but I happen to like him and think he is very knowledgeable.

This increases the total to 1,259.

Cardinals-Autographs-451

Shane

Next up is a 1973 Topps Bob Gibson PSA/DNA. For those that don't know this, I always bust out any slabbed cards and put them in my albums. I simply slide the flip behind the card.

Also, for thoste that don't know this, my count total is made up of signatures, not cards. In other words, multi-player rookie cards or team cards, each signature counts. This Gibson increases the total to 1,260.

Cardinals-Autographs-452

Shane

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭

very nice

you have been hot lately congrats

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

Moving right along.....I recently added a 1989 Topps Ozzie Smith. This one is Beckett slabbed and authenticated by JSA.

This raises the total to 1,261. Here is The Wizard!

Cardinals-Autographs-453

Shane

Up next is someone that is still living, but for some reason I was never able to get his signature via mail. A 1965 Topps Dave Dowling is not quite to the level of some of the above players, but it still adds to my collection.

This raises the total to 1,262.

Cardinals-Autographs-454

Shane

Here is another good one....a 1974 Topps Bob Gibson.

This raises the total to 1,263.

Cardinals-Autographs-455

Shane

Gibby sighting

nice

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

I really like this next one. First of all, you don't see many 1963 Topps Bob Gibson signed for some reason. Secondly, this is my first JSA Witnessed Protection autograph. This means that a JSA representative actually witnessed this signature, not just their opinion.

This raises the total to 1,264

Cardinals-Autographs-456

Shane

I'm adding another Gibson today. Here is a 1966 Topps Bob Gibson. I still need a few to have all of his, but I am getting there. 1962 will be tough because it is a short print. This one (as with all slabbed) has been released and is residing in my album.

This one raises the total to 1,265.

Cardinals-Autographs-457

Shane

edited March 16, 2019 8:52AM

Up next is a really tough one. I already have his 1960 card, but here is a 1959 Topps Dick Ricketts. I posted the following information back 4 years ago when I posted the 1960 card. I thought it would be worth mentioning again.

Here is an interesting tidbit on Dick Ricketts (d. 1988). He was the number one overall pick in the 1955 NBA draft by the St Louis Hawks. He was 6' 7" and played 3 seasons in the NBA before retiring after the 1957-58 season. Having already signed as a free agent in 1955 by the Cardinals, he pitched the 1959 season for 12 games before hanging it up. His younger brother Dave also played for the Cardinals as a catcher. He was only 6' 0".

I will also add that Ricketts is one of only 13 players to ever play MLB and in the NBA. This list includes Danny Ainge, Frank Baumholtz, Gene Conley, Chuck Connors, Dave DeBusschere, Dick Groat, Steve Hamilton, Mark Hendrickson, Cotton Nash, Ron Reed, Dick Ricketts and Howie Schultz. From that list of 13 players, 3 of them played for the Cardinals (Groat, Ricketts, and Reed).

This raises the total to 1,266.

Cardinals-Autographs-458

Shane

Up next is my very first Will "The Thrill" Clark. This is a 2001 Topps Will Clark. Clark played only briefly for the Cardinals, but he made his presence felt while he was there taking over for an injured Mark McGwire and he tore the cover off the ball leading them to the playoffs.

This raises the total to 1,267.

Cardinals-Autographs-459

Shane

edited April 20, 2019 7:43AM

Up next is a 2007 Topps Jason Isringhausen. Izzy was the closer for the Cardinals in the mid 2000's and notched exactly 300 saves for his career.

This raises the total to 1,268 Cardinals autographs.

Cardinals-Autographs-460

Shane

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice addition Shane.

Generation K.......ah, what could have been.

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

very nice...

just curious how you organize this collection (by year, alphabetical, etc.)

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.

@Ironmanfan said:
    very nice...

just curious how you organize this collection (by year, alphabetical, etc.)

IMF

I'll organize it by year. My regular Cardinals team sets I put them in numerical order by year. But my autographs I just organize them by year. Then within the year I usually put the Hall of Famers and the long-deceased players first. And then the others just as I get them. However since my autographed 1972 set is complete that year is in order by number.

Shane

Up next is my first signed card of this underrated shortstop. Here is a 1999 Topps Edgar Renteria.

He was a 4 time all star (3 with the Cardinals). In 2002 and 2003 for the Cardinals he won the Gold Glove and Silver Slugger awards.

Renteria had the game winning hit in the 11th inning of game 7 of the 1997 World Series for the Marlins. Also, in 2010 for the Giants he hit a 7th inning 3 run home run that won the series. That home run made him only the fourth player to have two series-winning hits in history, along with Yogi Berra, Joe DiMaggio, and Lou Gehrig. Not bad company!

This increases the total to 1,269.

Cardinals-Autographs-461

Shane

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

I do enjoy collections like this where there is a specific focus and passion. I am the same with Dodgers and early Mariners (I don't want the newer stuff, but from 77 to about 87 brings back fond memories of the old Kingdome days).

Nothing special here, just extras obtained over the years, but if I have any you still need, let me know.

1959 Topps Blaylock, Bob Cardinals
    1962 Topps James, Charlie Cardinals
    1965 Topps Buchek, Jerry Cardinals
    1970 Topps Dillman, Bill Cardinals
    1970 Topps Hilgendorf, Tom Cardinals
    1971 Topps Taylor, Chuck Cardinals
    1973 Topps Santorini, Al Cardinals
    1974 Topps Folkers, Rich Cardinals
    1974 Topps Tyson, Mike Cardinals
    1975 Topps Folkers, Rich Cardinals
    1975 Topps Rudolph, Ken Cardinals
    1975 SSPC Terlecky, Greg Cardinals
    1975 Topps Tyson, Mike Cardinals
    1976 Topps Rudolph, Ken Cardinals
    1976 OPC Tyson, Mike Cardinals
    1977 Topps Anderson, Mike Cardinals
    1977 Topps Tyson, Mike Cardinals
    1978 Topps Tyson, Mike Cardinals
    1979 Topps Phillips, Mike Cardinals
    1979 Topps Schultz, Buddy Cardinals
    1979 Topps Tyson, Mike Cardinals
    1980 Topps Fulgham, John Cardinals
    1981 Topps Fulgham, John Cardinals
    1984 Donruss Brummer, Glenn Cardinals
    1984 Fleer Brummer, Glenn Cardinals
    1984 Topps Rucker, Dave Cardinals
    1984 Topps Stuper, John Cardinals
    1984 Fleer Stuper, John Cardinals
    1984 Topps Von Ohlen, Dave Cardinals
    1986 Topps Conroy, Tim Cardinals Traded
    1986 Fleer Ownbey, Rick Cardinals Update
    1987 Donruss Ford, Curt Cardinals
    1987 Topps Lindeman, Jim Cardinals Traded
    1987 Donruss Lindeman, Jim Cardinals The Rookies

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.

@mrmopar said:
    I do enjoy collections like this where there is a specific focus and passion. I am the same with Dodgers and early Mariners (I don't want the newer stuff, but from 77 to about 87 brings back fond memories of the old Kingdome days).

Nothing special here, just extras obtained over the years, but if I have any you still need, let me know.

1959 Topps Blaylock, Bob Cardinals
    1962 Topps James, Charlie Cardinals
    1965 Topps Buchek, Jerry Cardinals
    1970 Topps Dillman, Bill Cardinals
    1970 Topps Hilgendorf, Tom Cardinals
    1971 Topps Taylor, Chuck Cardinals
    1973 Topps Santorini, Al Cardinals
    1974 Topps Folkers, Rich Cardinals
    1974 Topps Tyson, Mike Cardinals
    1975 Topps Folkers, Rich Cardinals
    1975 Topps Rudolph, Ken Cardinals
    1975 SSPC Terlecky, Greg Cardinals
    1975 Topps Tyson, Mike Cardinals
    1976 Topps Rudolph, Ken Cardinals
    1976 OPC Tyson, Mike Cardinals
    1977 Topps Anderson, Mike Cardinals
    1977 Topps Tyson, Mike Cardinals
    1978 Topps Tyson, Mike Cardinals
    1979 Topps Phillips, Mike Cardinals
    1979 Topps Schultz, Buddy Cardinals
    1979 Topps Tyson, Mike Cardinals
    1980 Topps Fulgham, John Cardinals
    1981 Topps Fulgham, John Cardinals
    1984 Donruss Brummer, Glenn Cardinals
    1984 Fleer Brummer, Glenn Cardinals
    1984 Topps Rucker, Dave Cardinals
    1984 Topps Stuper, John Cardinals
    1984 Fleer Stuper, John Cardinals
    1984 Topps Von Ohlen, Dave Cardinals
    1986 Topps Conroy, Tim Cardinals Traded
    1986 Fleer Ownbey, Rick Cardinals Update
    1987 Donruss Ford, Curt Cardinals
    1987 Topps Lindeman, Jim Cardinals Traded

The only Topps card that I do not have on your list is the 1986 Topps Traded Tim Conroy.

Shane

frank
    do you work off a master list or did you make one yourself to keep track?

Fred

edited April 28, 2019 12:51PM

@baseballfan said:
    frank
    do you work off a master list or did you make one yourself to keep track?

I work off of my unsigned
    Topps Cardinals team sets. I have a spreadsheet for every thing and I work off of it.

Shane

Up next is a 2005 Topps Jim Edmonds. In my opinion, Jim Edmonds is the best defensive centerfielder I have ever seen. I know people are going to hollering the names of Willie Mays and Ken Griffey Jr, but Jim Edmonds is often overlooked in the conversation. Just take a quick look at this 3+ minute video of Jim Edmonds highlights. You won't be let down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhdeJY4LWe0

This increases the total to 1,270.

Cardinals-Autographs-462

Shane

Vince Coleman was my favorite player growing up. When he got on base he terrorized the opponent because he could turn a bunt single into a triple in 3 pitches. He was so fast! This 1988 Topps Record Breaker card is the final card in the run of Topps Cardinals cards of Vince Coleman in my collection. I am glad to get it!

Here is a neat video of Vincent Maurice Coleman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj2ZpGcDVJE

This makes the total 1,271.

Cardinals-Autographs-464

Shane

edited May 8, 2019 3:41PM

Up next is a 1967 Topps Bob Tolan. I am narrowing the 1967 set down and only need a few to complete it.

This raises the total to 1,272.

Cardinals-Autographs-465

Shane

Up next is a 1982 Topps Bruce Sutter. He was one of the first, if not the first, to use the split finger fastball.

A personal story... in 1982 I was 7 years old and becoming a die hard Cardinals fan. Game 7 of the 1982 World Series was on a school night and my dad made me go to bed along about the 7th inning because it was "past my bedtime". To his credit, when the Cardinals won, my dad came and woke me up and told me that the Cardinals won! It was years later before I actually got to see Bruce Sutter's strikeout of Gorman Thomas.

Fast forward to 2006, when I was 31 years old. The Cardinals were on the verge of winning the World Series for the first time since 1982 and I called my dad up and said, "You can't make me go to bed this time!" We got a big laugh out of that!

Here is Bruce Sutter's strikeout!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41vjWTL73kg

This make the total rise to 1,273.

Cardinals-Autographs-466

Shane

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

@frankhardy That is a great story!

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

Up next is the recently late Johnny Romano. There is a story behind this scan that I find rather interesting.

As I get new signed cards, I scan them shortly after receiving them so that I can put them in my album. However, I may not post them until a few days later. Right now I am 11 scans behind. I plan on posting a few today. Anyway, I was looking up Johnny Romano to find anything interesting to mention in this post. I immediately saw that he passed away on February 24th, 2019. I looked at the properties on my scan and I scanned this card the day before he died on February 23rd.

Another interesting tidbit is that Mr Romano's real passion was flying radio controlled airplanes. I love that because my dad loves flying them too!

This one increases the total to 1,274.

Cardinals-Autographs-467

Shane

Up next is a 1972 Topps Pitching LL signed by Steve Carlton. This one is authenticated by JSA. To totally complete this team set, I only need a signed 1972 Topps RBI LL Joe Torre and the Cardinals Rookie Stars signed by Jorge Rogue and Santiago Guzman. The third player on this card is Jim Bibby and I have one with his signature. I don't require the signatures to all be on one card. There is a Guzman on Ebay now, but it is very pricey.

This raises the total to 1,275.

Cardinals-Autographs-468

Shane

Next is a 1965 Topps Bob Gibson PSA/DNA. Mr Gibson needs no introduction. This card is in very low grade, but I love the vintage look with the blue ink.

This one increases the total to 1,276.

Cardinals-Autographs-469

Shane

Up next is a 1977 Topps Keith Hernandez. I knew he was a good defensive first baseman, but I didn't realize he won 11 consecutive gold gloves! Impressive!

This raises the total to 1,277.

Cardinals-Autographs-470

Shane

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Just again catching up with this great ongoing thread, Shane. Regarding your October 2018 posting of Bob Forsch. Bob was a neighbor of mine in St Louis area ( in what is now the city of Wildwood) in the early 90s. His wife Jan and I served on the resident HOA for a time together, he was a great neighbor. I moved to Texas in 1995. We kept in touch after that for awhile. At one point he autographed a copy of his 82 Blackless card for me. We lost touch after he moved to Florida. I was shocked and sad at his sudden death.

When I was living in that subdivision, Highland Way off Wild Horse Creek Road, Joe Magrane and Danny Jackson were also neighbors. Joe was also a good neighbor

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al

Neat stuff, Al. What did Bob (or Joe or Danny) think of card collecting? Did they have any? What did they think of your impressive collection?

I live about 12 minutes from former catcher Phil Roof. His brother Gene was a former Cardinals player and lives close too. I have met Phil, but not Gene.

Shane

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

None were card collectors at that time. Did not know Jackson well. He was only in subdivision and I think with the Cards for one year

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al

I decided to combine scans for the next 12 additions.

1967 Topps Joe Hoerner (d. 1996)
    1968 Topps Hal Gilson / Mike Torrez (already had card with Torrez signature....will replace with this one and add 1 to total)
    1968 Topps Joe Hoerner (d. 1996)
    1974 Topps Reggie Smith
    1977 Topps Hector Cruz
    1979 Topps Garry Templeton
    1979 Topps Tony Scott
    1979 Topps Jerry Morales
    1981 Topps Garry Templeton
    1981 Topps Jim Kaat
    1982 Topps Garry Templeton
    1988 Topps Bob Horner

These increase the total to 1,289.

Cardinals-Autographs-471

Cardinals-Autographs-472

Shane

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shane, I’ve been lazy about commenting recently, but I think you already know I think your collection is tremendous! Love the flood of Gibbys and the 88 Vince RB. Haven’t even checked out your most recent update.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox