Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My Topps Cardinals Autograph Collection (1966 - 2002 Topps totally complete!)

Comments

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say that it is common. However, it does happen occasionally. The fact that it was a 1973 card really didn't bother me, because I have so many duplicates. It just bugs me that I have to waste another stamp on a no name player.

Shane

edited April 25, 2018 10:50AM
    I got these in the mail in the last few days. Bob Skinner added his name to the 65 and 66 team cards.

This makes 637.

Cardinals_Autographs_175

Shane

Well, I figured it would happen eventually. I just got ripped off by a player. I sent a 1958 Topps team card with several players signatures on it to Lloyd Merritt for him to sign. Well, he signed my 2 index cards, sent me an unsigned picture of him and KEPT THE TEAM CARD! ARGH!

Shane

John Curtis added his name to the 75 and 76 team cards.

Here is a first - I sent the 71 team card to Jerry Ruess and he signed the back of the card! I guess he wanted to be different.

After 3 tries, I finally got Ken Daley to sign the 86 Topps. I had sent him several cards, and twice he kept the 1986 Topps.

I got the Ozzie Smith off of Ebay for a song. I think because it was light ink and he just signed it "Ozzie". It has every indication of being legit.

This makes 642.

Cardinals_Autographs_176

Cardinals_Autographs_177

Shane

I wish I could have gotten these through the mail, but it is a near impossibility. There is no record of Willie McGee or George Hendrick EVER signing TTM. Danny Cox is only 36% and Tito Landrum is only 10%. I got these on Ebay in one lot.

The rookie card will got to Al Olmsted and Andy Rincon next. They both have a track record of 100%.

This makes the count rise to 649

Cardinals_Autographs_178

Shane

edited April 25, 2018 10:51AM
    I forgot to post this one. This one came from Ebay as well.

All I need now is his 1974, 76, and 78 to have all of his regular Topps Cardinals cards signed.

This makes 650.

Cardinals_Autographs_179

Shane

• fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Shane very impressive, I love the 82 Topps Tito Landrun card, a classic to say the least.
    edited April 25, 2018 10:51AM
    Well, this is the longest I have waited. I sent these cards out 294 days ago and finally got them back today.

This makes 656.

Cardinals_Autographs_180

Shane

edited April 25, 2018 10:52AM
    John Frascatore is an interesting success. I had problems finding a current address for him. I then did a little research I actually talked with his mother on the phone. At first, she probably didn't know what to think. When I told her what I wanted, she told me to just send the cards to her, and she would get them to her son. It took 107 days, but I got them today.

Interestingly enough, I sent Jeff Suppan this card the same day that I sent to Frascatore, and got Suppan back the same day. The only thing is that this card has one big, heavy crease. That, I think, is a first. I've been very fortunate because I don't send the cards in any top loader.

This jumps the total to 660.

Cardinals_Autographs_181

Shane

• Did you ever manage to get in touch with Lloyd Merritt?
    I tried a phone number from the site you gave me. The phone was disconnected. So, I sent him a nice, polite letter asking him if he "still had it laying around". Hopefully I will hear back from him.

Shane

edited April 25, 2018 10:52AM
    I got this one today off of Ebay. Now, all I need is 1976 and 1978 and I will have all of his Topps cards signed.

This makes 661.

Cardinals_Autographs_182

Shane

Well, I just had it happen again. I had sent a 1957 Topps team card to former pitcher Bob Blaylock. All I got in the envelope today was an index card. I was not happy. So, I looked his phone number up and called him. I didn't let on that I was mad or anything. We had a pleasant conversation about old time baseball. He said that had played with and against guys like Musial and Mantle and that he enjoyed his time very much.

I told him that my son and I collected autographs and I thanked him for signing in the past. Then, I asked him if he could have possibly misplaced my team card. He said that he didn't think so, but he would look. We also agreed that he may have put it in another envelope. He took my address and said that if he could find it, he would send it to me.

By the way, since he was a former pitcher, I asked him who was the best hitter that he has ever seen. He didn't hesitate. He said, "Albert Pujols."

Shane

edited April 25, 2018 10:53AM
    I just got a fairly tough one today - Terry Kennedy.

This makes 664.

Cardinals_Autographs_183

Shane

Well, it is now confirmed that I have lost 2 team cards. I had sent the 1957 to Bob Blaylock, as I said earlier. Apparently, he has never found it. I had also sent a letter to Lloyd Merritt. I got his reply today. He sent my letter back and wrote this at the bottom -

"Hi Shane,

I am sorry but I thought I put the card of the 1958 Cardinals in with mine. (apparently, he meant the photo he sent me). I am sorry for the confusion, but don't see it anywhere. God Bless. That makes me mad!"

Lloyd Merritt"

So, I guess that means I have to knock 14 signatures off of my count.

That lowers my count to 650. I will be starting over on the 1957 and 1958 team cards.

Shane

edited April 25, 2018 10:54AM
    I am constantly searching Ebay for older Topps Cardinals autographs, especially of players that have passed away. I got a great deal on these 1954 Topps the other day.

Harvey Haddix passed away in 1994.

Harry "P-Nuts" Lowery passed away in 1986.

Ray Jablonski passed away in 1985.

Rip Repulski passed away in 1993.

Also included in this lot is a nice Wally Moon RC and a Stu Miller. I already have those, so I may sell them to try to find more that I don't have.

This makes 654.

Cardinals_Autographs_184

Shane

edited April 25, 2018 10:54AM
    I have been out of pocket for a solid week. I work for the electric company. We had winds from Hurricane Ike come through Sunday morning or tore up a lot of things. I live here in western KY. I can't imagine the winds they had in Texas. We have over 30,000 customers on our power system. Sunday morning we had 15,000 out of power. We had to call in linemen from Tennessee in to help us restore power. I worked 96.5 hours this week, with most of it being in the overnight hours. Needless to say - I am pooped!

Now, back to the autos.

I had to start over with the 57 and 58 team cards. I bought a 58 team card on Ebay already signed by All Star Terry Moore. He died in 1995, so it is a fairly scarce signature.

I sent it to Hal Smith and he signed it in just a few days.

Also, after a few months, I finally got the 74 team card from Orlando Pena.

This raises the count to 656.

Cardinals_Autographs_185

Cardinals_Autographs_186

Shane

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    that Harvey Haddix is real nice, good luck on trying the teams you lost again.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

edited April 25, 2018 10:55AM
    I just got this back from George Frazier. Now, I will be sending it to Tom Bruno. I already have Bruno, but on another card.

This makes 657.

Cardinals_Autographs_187

Shane

edited October 10, 2022 3:48PM
    These 3 raises the count to 660.

Reggie Cleveland added his name to the 72 and 73 team cards.

Hal Smith added his name to the second 57 team card. I had forgotten to send it with the 58 team card.

Cardinals_Autographs_188

Shane

Here's 661.

Lloyd Merritt added his name to this 58 team card. It is hard to see. He signed it small in the photo near himself. He was the one that lost my last 58 team card. I guess it worked out for the better since this one has the deceased All Star Terry Moore.

Cardinals_Autographs_189

Shane

Here's 662.

Bob Chlupsa addes his name to this rookie card. Bob Stinson charges $5, so I doubt I will send it to him.

Cardinals_Autographs_190

Shane

edited October 10, 2022 4:07PM
    On this first card, Tom Bruno added his name to the rookie card, completing it.

The second card is Ray King after 94 days.

Now for the third picture. For those of you that have tried Red Schoendienst within the past year, you know it is next to impossible. On sportscollectors.net, you can see he hasn't hardly signed anything all year. I am 2 for 2 this year and both times I got him to do it for free. It used to take $20 and for the sender to write that on the envelope. It's not just luck. I have a secret technique that I came up with and it works like a charm! He even signed my custom index card image

Now, all I am lacking on Schoendienst is some team cards and I will have every Topps and Bowman card signed by Schoendiest.

Anyone ever noticed how Schoendienst looked like an old man 40 years ago, but he hasn't aged much since then?

This makes the count rise to 671.

Edited to say on 11/26/21 - I ended up replacing this 1973 Topps Schoendienst because I found a multi-signed one with Kissell on Ebay. Ended up selling the one without Kissell.

Edited to say on 11/26/21- I had originally intended on keeping the single signed 1974 Topps Schoendienst as part of this collection. That would be inconsistent with what I have done in every other instance. I have decided to pull the single signed one from my album and only include the multi-signed one. One will be subtracted on 11/26/21.

Edited to say on 10/10/22 - As I was updating my spreadsheet to show how I got each card and/or authenticated or not, I noticed that I had counted both Tom Bruno signatures. I had sent the rookie card to Tom Bruno and another one to Terry Kennedy. After receiving the Terry Kennedy back (him being the tougher signer) I sent to George Frazier and then to Tom Bruno (again) completing the second card. When I received the completed card, I counted Bruno for the second time mistakenly. I corrected the total on 10/10/22 on page 24 with the 1995 Topps Todd Zeile post.

How ironic is it to have 3 corrections in one single post!

Cardinals_Autographs_191

Cardinals_Autographs_192

Cardinals_Autographs_193

Shane

• You should be able to get Vern Benson to sign both of those manager cards as well. He's a pretty good TTM signer.
    I forgot to mention that. I actually am getting ready to send those to Benson. Also, Barney Schultz and Johnny Lewis are good signers. I had plans on sending the 73 and 74 Topps to George Kissell, but he died this week in a car wreck during the 7 days that Schoendienst had the cards.

Shane

edited November 26, 2021 1:22PM
    Here are some new ones that I have gotten in the last few days.

Barney Schultz added his name to the manager/coaches card. Bob Sykes is by no means a given, yet I was able to get his signature.

On the 61 card with Spencer, White, and Broglio, I forgot to scan it when I got Spencer's auto back. Bill White is next to impossible to get so I will have to be satisfied with the 2 signatures.

Joe Cunningham added his name to the 57 team card, but I was pretty ticked when I got it back. He kept the 58 team card that had Terry Moore (dec 1995) plus 2 others. I have written him a letter in hopes of getting it back. That's twice I've had a 58 team card swiped.

This makes the count rise to 677 (not deducting the 58 team card yet).

Edited to say on 11/26/21 - I ended up replacing this 1973 Topps Schoendienst because I found a multi-signed one with Kissell on Ebay. Ended up selling the one without Kissell.

Cardinals_Autographs_194

Cardinals_Autographs_195

Cardinals_Autographs_196

Shane

edited November 26, 2021 1:22PM
    First of all, I forgot to scan the 64 rookie card after Dave Bakenhaster signed it. I then sent it to Johnny Lewis and he signed it.

Vern Benson added his name to the 73 manager/coaches card.

This makes 681.

Cardinals_Autographs_197

Shane

• This is very cool project and this coming from a Cubs fan!

Just wondering do you have some way of displaying your signatures? With so many auto's you could put together a pretty cool Cardinals History Website!
    Thanks, guys.

When I get them in the mail, I bring them in, scan them, post them to this thread, and they go into an album. I will say that the album is almost too full.

The website is an interesting idea. I will think on that.

Shane

edited April 25, 2018 10:57AM
    This one took a little while. I wasn't sure I would get them back, but I got them back today.

This makes 683.

Cardinals_Autographs_198

Shane

edited November 26, 2021 1:08PM
    Bob Blaylock added his name to the 57 team card. I had sent my original 57 team card to him, and did not get it back. I actually spoke with him on the phone and he is not sure what happened. I spoke with him again, and his signed this one for me.

The Schoendienst manager/coach card is one that I bought off of Ebay. I already have another signed by Red that I got myself. I only bought this one because it had George Kissell's signature on it. He passed away only a few weeks ago, so the other one will never be complete. I have decided to leave it just with Red's signature on it. This one here is missing Vern Benson. He is a quick signer, so I will get this one out right away and have it completed.

This makes 688.

Edited to say on 11/26/21- I had originally intended on keeping the single signed 1974 Topps Schoendienst as part of this collection. That would be inconsistent with what I have done in every other instance. I have decided to pull the single signed one from my album and only include the multi-signed one. One will be subtracted on 11/26/21.

Cardinals_Autographs_199

Cardinals_Autographs_200

Shane

edited April 25, 2018 10:58AM
    I love getting the vintage cards back. I am not sure why I didn't send to Mr Landrith last year when I started all of this. He is an 88% signer. I got these back in 12 days.

This makes the total come to 690.

Cardinals_Autographs_201

Shane

edited November 26, 2021 1:08PM
    Time to update what I have gotten in the last few days.

I took a chance on Jose Cardenal and it paid off. I didn't think I would get this one back.

Grady Hatton added his name to the 57 team card.

This one is one of my favorites. This 74 managers/coaches card is complete after adding Vern Benson. George Kissell died very recently so I am fortunate to have finished it.

This ups the total to 693.

Cardinals_Autographs_202

Cardinals_Autographs_203

Cardinals_Autographs_204

Shane

edited April 25, 2018 10:59AM
    Getting closer to 700. This makes 694.

I sent this a couple of days after I sent him the team card. I must have overlooked him at first when I was sending out the vintage cards. I love getting these old ones back.

Cardinals_Autographs_205

Shane

frank
    i haven't checked in on this thread in awhile. great job the schoendienst look very cool.

congrats, you'll be at 1000 in no time
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

edited April 25, 2018 10:59AM
    The trick that I use on Red Schoendienst worked with Mike Shannon too! I didn't think I would get these back. The 64 was a beater, so I didn't think I had much to lose. Mike Shannon VERY rarely signs through the mail, so I am very pleased with this one. Well, pleased except that the black smudged a little bit. At least he thought to use a silver sharpie on the 64 because a black one would have been hidden in that black background. He kept the 68 Topps that I sent him. Oh, well.

Eddie Kasko added his name to the 57 team card.

This makes 697.

Cardinals_Autographs_206

Shane

edited April 25, 2018 11:00AM
    Harry Elliott took a while - 194 days to be exact. I thought this one was gone, but he came through this week.

He added his name to the 56 Team card. I have sent it to Red Schoendienst (along with a few other team cards).

This makes 699.

Cardinals_Autographs_207

Shane

I got a letter back from Joe Cunningham regarding the missing 1958 Topps team card (with the long deceased Terry Moore). He said that he answers mail faithfully, and he does not know what happened to it. It is possible that he put it in the wrong envelope. I guess it's time to deduct that card from my totals.

While I am at it, I might as well deduct the 1980 and 1981 Topps team card. I sent it to Dane Iorg back in July. He was a great signer up until then. I even sent him a letter back in September requesting the cards. Nothing has turned up. The 1980 card had 2 signatures and the 1981 card had 3 signatures.

Deducting 8 signatures makes the total come to 691.

Shane

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Hi Guys,

Although I have been a collector for 25+ years, I have never really done very much as far as autos ttm are concerned. Back in the late 80's I did a little and sent all the cards c/o the respective stadium. Most of the cards I eventually got back.

Since, as I have stated in detail on this board a few times in the past month, I had to sell most of my 25+ year collection to pay for major medical expenses, I thought collecting autos ttm would be a good way to stay in touch with our great hobby. What is the best way to get them ttm today? Where do you get all the addresses? How do you know if you should send $ and how much $ do you send to a particular signer?

Any info you can send me would be helpful ... either on this board or in a PM.

Thanks much and stay healthy!

Doug
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Doug,

PM sent.

Shane

edited April 25, 2018 11:00AM
    My technique worked on Red Schoendienst again. I am 3 for 3 with my technique. For those of you that don't know, Schoendienst hasn't signed TTM in many months (I think over a year). He signed all of these team cards. Now, I just need to get the 62 and 63 back from Charley James and I will send those along with 72, 73, 74, 75, and 76, and I will have every base card of Red Schoendienst signed.

I can now add 7 signatures to my total bringing it to 698.

Cardinals_Autographs_208

Cardinals_Autographs_209

Shane

edited April 25, 2018 11:01AM
    The 58 team card was signed by Hal Smith. Maybe three times is a charm for this one because this is the third card I've tried due to it not getting returned.

These Ken Hill cards set a record for me. These took 336 days. I sent them to him on January 18, 2008. Got them back last Friday.

This pushes the count to 701.

Cardinals_Autographs_210

Shane

• thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Shane,

Since you have good success with Schoendienst, any chance if I send you a 1948 Bowman rookie card of him that you'd get it signed for me?

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
    Mike,

PM sent.

Shane

edited April 25, 2018 11:01AM
    Look at what I got through the mail - Stan Musial. However, it's not a TTM auto. I got this off of Ebay from a reputable seller. In my opinion, everything checks out on this signature. This is my first Musial.

Jerry Ruess took a while, but I got his rookie card. Now, it will be sent to Leron Lee.

Jackie Collum added his name to the 57 Topps team card.

This makes the count rise to 704.

Cardinals_Autographs_211

Shane

shane
    i always like checking in and seeing who you picked up lately. the musial looks good.

i got sran at the HOF in the early 80's and he didn't finish the L at the end and put a little scribble to finish and then apoligized for it, i was only like 13. a truly great guy.
    Fred

• I was wondering if you can share your technique? I've tried Red several times with no success. I thought my package sent recently would get to him, but it was not claimed.

<< <i>My technique worked on Red Schoendienst again. I am 3 for 3 with my technique. For those of you that don't know, Schoendienst hasn't signed TTM in many months (I think over a year). He signed all of these team cards. Now, I just need to get the 62 and 63 back from Charley James and I will send those along with 72, 73, 74, 75, and 76, and I will have every base card of Red Schoendienst signed.

I can now add 7 signatures to my total bringing it to 698.

image >>

I still have more to send him. If you want to PM me in a few weeks, I wouldn't mind.

Shane

edited April 25, 2018 11:02AM
    Well, sometimes life gives pleasant surprises. I have a friend who grew up an Ozzie Smith fan. He got to meet Ozzie last week at a banquet. He told me on the phone how neat it was to finally meet him. He took his kids and took some pictures and got a few autographs. He told me how personable Ozzie was that night, and he emailed me a picture of Ozzie and him shaking hands.

Fast forward to today. I get home from work and look what I found in my mail box! I called my friend and thanked him. He didn't give me these details the other night on the phone, but tonight he said he got five 79 Topps rookie cards and a five of these 82 Topps Traded cards signed for himself. I think I can find room for this one in my album. image This is definitely one of my favorites.

By the way, this makes 705 and counting.

Cardinals_Autographs_212

Shane