Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My Topps Cardinals Autograph Collection (1952 - 1961 Topps totally complete!)

Comments

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coarsegold said:
    This thread is a great example of what collecting is all about. You have a awesome collection!

Thank you very much! I have enjoyed it greatly for going on 13 years!

Shane

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, I hadn’t checked out this thread in a couple of months. You’ve really added some beauties!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

Up next we have a 1988 Topps Ozzie Smith. I am closing in on having an entire run. I have every one up through 1988 plus a 1993. Ozzie has a very nice signature and is very consistent.

This raises the total to 1,336.

Cardinals-Autographs-505

Shane

edited February 22, 2020 8:55AM

Up next is a 1972 Topps RBI LL signed by Joe Torre. This very nearly completes my 1972 Topps set. I have every card autographed, but on the multiplayer rookie card I only have Bibby's signature. I still need Roque and Guzman.

This raises the total to 1,337.

Cardinals-Autographs-506

Shane

Up next is a tough 1976 Topps Reggie Smith. Mr Smith was an underrated player. I didn't realize he hammered 314 home runs in his career.

This one raises the total to 1,338.

Cardinals-Autographs-507

Shane

Up next is my first 2 Dennis Eckersley signed cards - a 1997 and 1998 Topps.

This raises the total to 1,340.

Cardinals-Autographs-508

Shane

Up next is a 1964 Topps Curt Flood authenticated by JSA. I still need 1963, 1965, and 1969 to have a complete run.

This one raises the total to 1,341.

Cardinals-Autographs-509

Shane

• PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

Love your passion Shane. Flood must be tough, huh?

Thank you. I still love doing it. Flood is tough. He died in 1997 and he was popular.

Shane

Up next is one that is surprisingly tough. It is a 1988 Topps Tony Pena and it is my first signature from him.

This raises the total to 1,342.

Cardinals-Autographs-510

Shane

I LOVED Tony Pena!

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

In order to get caught up, I am adding 9 more (on 8 cards) that have been on the back burner.

1994 Topps Richard Batchelor
    1995 Topps Allen Watson
    1998 Topps Gary Gaetti
    1998 Topps Jeff Brantley
    2001 Topps Shawn Boyd
    2005 Topps Stuart Pomeranz
    1988 Topps Danny Cox
    1988 Topps Cardinals Team signed by Red Schoendienst and Tony Pena

This increases the total to 1,351.

Cardinals-Autographs-511

Cardinals-Autographs-512

Cardinals-Autographs-513

Cardinals-Autographs-514

Shane

This 1971 Topps Bob Gibson raises the total to 1,352.

Cardinals-Autographs-515

Shane

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

always nice to see a Gibby sighting

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

edited June 14, 2020 12:09PM

Up next is a 1988 Topps Turn Back The Clock card featuring a 1963 Topps Stan Musial. Yes, this card is part of the regular 1988 Topps set, which is important to note. I do not include anything else.

This increases the total to 1,353 different Cardinals signatures on regular Topps cards.

Cardinals-Autographs-516

Shane

Stan the Man!!!

do you have the regular issue 63? would love to see a side by side

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

@baseballfan said:
    Stan the Man!!!

do you have the regular issue 63? would love to see a side by side

Here ya go!

Cardinals-Autographs-523

Shane

very nice... what a great hitter

TY

Fred

Up next is a 1989 Topps Tony Pena.

This raises the total to 1,354.

Cardinals-Autographs-517

Shane

edited June 14, 2020 12:07PM

Up next is a 2002 Topps Mark McGwire authenticated by PSA/DNA. It is personalized to someone named "Brady". Apparently "Brady" didn't think enough of it to keep it. His loss is my gain. I'm glad to have it after searching for this one for a while.

This raises the total to 1,355.

Cardinals-Autographs-518

Shane

I wanted to do an update for multiple cards. No outstanding ones, but these are tougher than you might expect.

1983 Topps David Green
    1987 Topps Jeff Lahti
    1990 Topps Terry Pendleton
    1990 Topps John Morris
    1990 Topps Cris Carpenter
    1991 Topps Omar Olivares
    1991 Topps Geronimo Pena

This raises the total to 1,362.

Cardinals-Autographs-519

Cardinals-Autographs-520

Cardinals-Autographs-521

Cardinals-Autographs-522

Shane

Shane, those are some great looking cards. Love the Pendleton!

The Cris Carpenter made me wonder how many autos you have of the (better) cHris Carpenter. I ask only because I see him at a charity event every November and I collect his auto. I’ve got 20 signed cards of him.

Yaz Master Set

@DBesse27 said:
    Shane, those are some great looking cards. Love the Pendleton!

The Cris Carpenter made me wonder how many autos you have of the (better) cHris Carpenter. I ask only because I see him at a charity event every November and I collect his auto. I’ve got 20 signed cards of him.

Keep in mind that I only collect regular Topps and Topps Traded / Update. The only one I have is 2008 Topps. PM me if you have any you wouldn't mind parting with.

Shane

Up next is a 1971 Topps Milt Ramirez. Mr Ramirez only played in 94 games in parts of 3 years, but this is a 1971 high number and his signature is tough to come by.

This one raises the total to 1,363.

Cardinals-Autographs-524

Shane

Next up is a 1959 Topps George Crowe. Mr Crowe passed away in 2011.

One interesting fact is that Mr Crowe played professional basketball on a team with Jackie Robinson in 1947. The team was the Los Angeles Red Devils. Who knew that George Crowe and Jackie Robinson were two sport stars. I knew Robinson lettered in 4 sports at UCLA, but I didn't know he played pro basketball for one year.

This raises the total to 1,364.

Cardinals-Autographs-525

Shane

Up next is a 1962 Topps Don Lanrdum. Mr Landrum passed away in 2003.

This raises the total to 1,365.

Cardinals-Autographs-526

Shane

edited May 16, 2020 10:28AM

Just trying to get caught up here.... I am adding 7 more today.

1963 Topps Harry Fanok
    2005 Topps Scott Rolen
    1996 Topps Triple A Stars T.J. Mathews
    2003 Topps Chris Duncan (d. 2019)
    1972 Topps Santiago Guzman (very tough)
    1966 Topps George Kernek (tough high number)
    1973 Topps Ken Reitz

Now, all I need is a 1972 card signed by Jorge Roque to have the entire 1972 Topps team set signed.

All of these increase the total to 1,372.

Cardinals-Autographs-527

Cardinals-Autographs-528

Cardinals-Autographs-529

Cardinals-Autographs-530

Cardinals-Autographs-531

Cardinals-Autographs-532

Shane

This card completes the entire 1972 Topps Cardinals team set. I never thought I would be able to find all 3 of these signatures on this rookie card. Guzman and Roque are very tough. I just got the Guzman a couple of weeks ago. Just a few days ago I was able to find Jorge Roque. Strangely enough this card has Roque's signature twice. Looks like maybe the ink was running out and he tried to redo it. Anyway, his signature on this card totally completes the team set.

This increases the total to 1,373.

Cardinals-Autographs-533

Shane

Up next is a 1973 Topps Scipio Spinks. He is still living, but for some reason he is kind of a tough signature.

This increases the total to 1,374.

Cardinals-Autographs-534

Shane

Up next is a 1973 Topps Lou Brock League Leaders card.

This increases the total to 1,375.

Cardinals-Autographs-535

Shane

edited June 7, 2020 1:42PM

Not sure if anybody is even looking at this anymore, but I will continue posting every Cardinals autographed card I get. I will do so because it is like an online journal for me. I can't tell you how many times I have looked back at this thread to check something.

Anyway, I have added another one. Up next is a 1984 Topps Ozzie Smith All Star. This means that I only need one card to complete the signed 1984 Topps Cardinals team set. The card I need is a #5 Highlights card featuring Bob Forsch.

This increases the total to 1,376.

Cardinals-Autographs-536

Shane

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

As I admire your collection, and your dedicated focus, I’ve wondered two things:

1. What’s your most favorite piece? Is it your favorite because of the player, the story behind the auto, or what?

2. What’s your least favorite piece? A player you never really cheered for? A sloppy auto?

Thanks for continuously updating the thread.

@GreenSneakers said:
    As I admire your collection, and your dedicated focus, I’ve wondered two things:

1. What’s your most favorite piece? Is it your favorite because of the player, the story behind the auto, or what?

2. What’s your least favorite piece? A player you never really cheered for? A sloppy auto?

Let me think on that one and will post as soon as I can. I want to have a good and proper answer. Thanks for the question.

Shane

@GreenSneakers said:

>

To narrow it down to one favorite is almost impossible. Therefore I have come up with a few that are high on my list.

I'll start with my 2001 Topps Traded Albert Pujols. He was my favorite player by far while he was with the Cardinals. His at-bats were must see TV. He does not sign this card very often. You don't see very many of these around. It's the only autograph that I have not busted out of the holder and put in my album. I actually have this one on my shelf.

Next I would say are two special ones. For Christmas my wife got me a couple of autographed cards. One year she bought me a 1959 Topps Bob Gibson rookie that is signed. Another year she bought me a 1986 Topps Vince Coleman signed. Vince Coleman was my favorite player growing up in the 80s.

The best story that I have is about some of my Red Schoendienst autographs. I was able to get a few of his through the mail and then it was like he got tired of signing through the mail and he started putting return to sender on the envelope. After trying a few more times to no avail I had an idea. Since he was with the Cardinals for so long I figured he had some loyalty to Cardinals fans. I'm sure many of the cards that got sent to him were simply put on eBay to sell. So on the outside of the envelope I wrote in big letters "please sign for a lifelong Cardinals fan". It worked like a charm on multiple occasions.

I don't really have a least favorite. They are all Cardinals so I like all of them. However I do have a story that kind of aggravates me. When I was sending off Cardinals team cards to different players I lost a 1956 Topps team card that was already signed by the late Terry Moore. I bought the team card on eBay already signed by Terry Moore and then I sent the card to several players that were living. After a few signatures the card got lost or kept by one of the players. I can't remember who but I wish I still had that card.

Also I do have one regret in the 13 years I have done this project. I wish I had never sold my 1968 Topps Roger Maris that was signed. I had to sell it because I needed the money at the time. That's the only card that I have sold out of my collection. I still have not replaced it but one day I hope to do so.

Shane

I love seeing the updates. I check all the time keep going

Fred

• rounding3rdrounding3rd Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

As a lifelong Cardinals fan as well, your post is the one I look forward to the most! Keep'em coming!

Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry

Thank you, guys! More coming in a couple of days.

Shane

edited June 13, 2020 12:13PM

Got a couple of big ones that I will post shortly. This one is a 2000 Topps Joe McEwing. Mark McGwire was Big Mac, and Joe was Little Mac.

This raises the total to 1,377.

Cardinals-Autographs-537

Shane

I am super excited about this one. Up next is a 1967 Topps Cards Clubbers card signed by both Lou Brock and Curt Flood. This card signed by one of them would be good enough, but to have them both sign it makes it a tremendous addition to my collection. Of course, Mr Flood passed away in 1997.

This raises the total to 1,379.

Cardinals-Autographs-538

Shane

now that is a get.

congrats!!

Fred

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Where’s 1378? :D

@GreenSneakers said:
    Where’s 1378? :D

1,378 is Lou Brock on that card. 1,379 is Curt Flood.

The number is not for cards. The number is for autographs.

Shane

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

Not only is the 64 Flood hard to find in general (thanks hoarder!), finding one signed is a sweet accomplishment. Always enjoy checking back for updates. Congrats on completing 72. Someday I am going to inventory my Dodgers cards so I can see exactly where I stand. I may have completed the 72 set, but I am thinking not. That set is loaded with toughies, maybe not hard to find, but expensive.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.

@mrmopar said:
    Not only is the 64 Flood hard to find in general (thanks hoarder!), finding one signed is a sweet accomplishment. Always enjoy checking back for updates. Congrats on completing 72. Someday I am going to inventory my Dodgers cards so I can see exactly where I stand. I may have completed the 72 set, but I am thinking not. That set is loaded with toughies, maybe not hard to find, but expensive.

Go for it! I would love to see your 1972 Dodgers team set signed!

Shane

Up next is a 1983 Topps Bruce Sutter AS. I think he has one of the nicest, most consistent signatures of any baseball player there is.

This raises the total to 1,380.

Cardinals-Autographs-539

Shane

Folks....this is one post that I thought I would never be adding to this thread, but here it is. I just scored my first 1952 Topps autographed high number.

In the 1952 Topps Cardinals team set there are 4 high numbers. There is #334 Wilmer Mizell, #378 Les Fusselman, #386 Eddie Yuhas, and #398 Hal Rice. All of these men passed away years ago. Mizell died in 1999; Fusselman died in 1970; Yuhas died in 1986, and Rice died in 1997. So it goes without saying that the easiest one to obtain would be the Mizell, since he is the most recent deceased. It is indeed the one I have obtained.

Mizell autographs are not super plentiful by any stretch, but they can be had. There are currently 21 Topps Mizell autographs listed on Ebay with most of them being Topps Archives or reprint type cards. I have searched Ebay for 13 years and have never found one single 1952 Topps Mizell listed until this one. I do remember one of the major auction houses sold one a few years ago. I bid competitively, but I came out the loser. I think it went for over $1700. PSA/DNA has authenticated a whopping total of 3. Fusselman has a total pop of 1; Yuhas pop is 1; and Rice pop is 1.

A couple of weeks ago this Mizell and a Hal Rice (along with several other 1952 and 1953 Topps signed cards) were listed on Ebay from a reputable seller. Almost all of them had the border trimmed off. There was my 52 Mizell, a 52 Hal Rice, and a 53 Hal Rice that I was watching like a hawk. Since these were trimmed I thought I had an excellent chance at all 3. Boy, was I wrong. I was able to snag the Mizell for $215 which I was happy with. I had bid much higher. However, I was the high bidder on the 52 and 53 Hal Rice cards for less than a second at the very end. I bid around $500 each. The 52 went for $1775 and the 53 went for $1026. He must not have signed very much at all because while the 1952 is a tough high number, the 1953 card is a common card. Plus, he died in 1997, which means there should be more available. He must be one tough autograph to snag.

Anyway, I am super excited to have this one. Since it was trimmed, I had a plan to make it look a little better in my album along with my other 1952s. I looked through my duplicate 1952 Topps and found a Billy Johnson that was begging to try to make a difference in this world. He wanted be a part so much that he was willing to sacrifice and donate part of himself. Granted, I am not a professional at things like this, but I think it turned out acceptable. At least it now has a border.

Also, this is my first 1952 Topps to have the facsimile autograph erased with the real one penned in it's place. I have seen and heard of people doing this, but never owned one until now.

Below are scans of the original trimmed card, plus the front and back after the cosmetic surgery was performed. I also included a picture of what he looks like next to his teammates.

This raises the total to 1,381.

Cardinals-Autographs-540

Cardinals-Autographs-541

Cardinals-Autographs-542

20200620-090519

Shane

Here is another tough high number. Not quite as tough as 1952, but this one hasn't been easy to find. Mr Riddle passed away in 1998. The fact that this is a high number and the fact that he has been dead for 22 years makes this one an exciting acquisition.

This raises the total to 1,382.

Cardinals-Autographs-543

Shane

the Mizell looks great with the others nice work

Fred

@baseballfan said:
    the Mizell looks great with the others nice work

Thank you, Fred! I am pleased with it.

Shane

For the life of me, I can't figure out why I didn't have this one already when I was sending through the mail. I had already sent several cards to Todd Worrell and he sent them all back signed. For some reason I didn't send him a 1987 Topps AS card. So, I found one on Ebay for next to nothing. Here it is.

This raises the total to 1,383.

Cardinals-Autographs-544

Shane