Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My Topps Cardinals Autograph Collection (1966 - 2002 Topps totally complete!)

Comments

• TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    What an amazing collection you have. You passion shows in your posts. Thanks for sharing! What is your favorite out of all of them?
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What an amazing collection you have. You passion shows in your posts. Thanks for sharing! What is your favorite out of all of them? >>

Thanks so much. I have really enjoyed it. My favorites are probably the 2001 Topps Pujols or the 1968 Topps Maris. Those are the only 2 that are not in my album. They are sitting on top of my bookshelf.

Shane

edited April 28, 2018 7:56AM
    I'll spare the details on this haul. Basically, this is from the same mega collection that a friend and I purchased together. Just got these yesterday.

1) 2000 Topps Mark McGwire Magic Moments - This is my first McGwire. This is a regular 2000 Topps card, but it is not his main card in the set. I wish I had one of his main cards in a base Topps set, but this will do for now.

2) 1984 Topps Andy Van Slyke - This is my first Andy Van Slyke. He is kind of a tough modern auto.

3) 1980 Topps Roger Freed - Died in 1996.

4) 1978 Topps Roger Freed - see above.

5) 1978 Topps Keith Hernandez - He is a pretty tough modern auto.

6) 1975 Topps Lynn McGlothen - Died in 1984.

7) 1968 Topps WS Game 1 Lou Brock - HOF

8) 1961 Topps Carl Sawatski - Died in 1991.

9) 1960 Topps Bob Nieman - Died in 1985.

In other words, all of these are pretty tough! These 9 bring the total to 1,062.

Cardinals_Autographs_300

Shane

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I remember getting the Nieman out of a pack. I had to keep it because it was a Cardinal, but he looks like he had just had a lobotomy. Boy, Hernandez looks like a kid...I guess he was back then
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    No doubt the 1968 Maris would be my favorite too. How did you get it? The McGWIRE sig is great. He is a fairly tough signer right? I have a baseball that I got signed from him in 1989 or 1990. I think my parents ordered it out of the JC PENNY or Sears Christmas catalog. It is has a COA from scoreboard.

<< <i>No doubt the 1968 Maris would be my favorite too. How did you get it? The McGWIRE sig is great. He is a fairly tough signer right? I have a baseball that I got signed from him in 1989 or 1990. I think my parents ordered it out of the JC PENNY or Sears Christmas catalog. It is has a COA from scoreboard. >>

Got the Maris from Legendary Auctions a while back. McGwire is fairly tough, but not impossible. TTM is impossible, though.

Shane

edited April 28, 2018 7:58AM
    Got this 1974 Topps League Leaders Lou Brock the other day. I don't usually get league leaders cards, but this one came in a large collection I bought, so I decided to keep it and not sell with the rest.

This brings the total to 1,063.

Cardinals_Autographs_301

Shane

Just picked these up yesterday at a local show. A dealer from St Louis was there. I got these for a $20 bill.

This brings the new total to 1,068.

Cardinals_Autographs_302

Shane

• cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Nice job Shane. I would imagine it is sometimes hit or miss for you at a show. Congrats!!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
    Thought I would add some pictures of my albums.

Cardinals_Autographs_303

Cardinals_Autographs_304

Cardinals_Autographs_305

Cardinals_Autographs_306

Cardinals_Autographs_307

Shane

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    That 52 Topps Cardinals lot is sure an impressive lot. Oh for a Musial......
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
    edited April 28, 2018 7:59AM
    I just finished the entire 1972 Topps Cardinals team set signed. Below is the last one - a 1972 Topps Don Clendenon.

This brings the total to 1,069.

Cardinals_Autographs_308

Shane

edited April 28, 2018 7:59AM
    I just added 2 fairly tough ones today.

1960 Topps Gene Oliver (dec 2007). I am only 3 away from a complete team set.

1968 Topps Orlando Cepeda. This is my only Cepeda.

This makes the total signatures rise to 1,071.

Cardinals_Autographs_313

Shane

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Nice additions. Always great to see you add a couple more.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Nice additions. You have the 1972 Guzman? There are 2 or 3 very tough autos in the 1972 Topps Cardinals set. Would love to see them all together.
  • That 85 Ozzie is Awesome! Nice collection.
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Is Cha Cha a particularly tough signer?

<< <i>Is Cha Cha a particularly tough signer? >>

Not impossible. I am sure he can be gotten inperson .He is at 18% ttm on sportscollectors.net. I would call that fairly tough. I go this one on Ebay at a great price.

Shane

edited April 28, 2018 8:07AM
    Now that you mention Guzman, I guess I need to clarify that. I do not have him or Roque on the rookie card... just Bibby. I also don't have any of the leader cards so I guess I still have some work to do to totally complete it.

Here is the 1972 Topps team set all together. I thought I posted them here in this thread, but I think it was in another thread of its own.

Cardinals_Autographs_309

Cardinals_Autographs_310

Cardinals_Autographs_311

Cardinals_Autographs_312

Shane

• YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Well, a little short but those cards still look really good together. I collect signed Yankee team sets and am in the same boat as you. I am only one or two cards away from a bunch of years and have been waiting for those cards to come around for a while now. I feel your pain image

<< <i>Well, a little short but those cards still look really good together. I collect signed Yankee team sets and am in the same boat as you. I am only one or two cards away from a bunch of years and have been waiting for those cards to come around for a while now. I feel your pain image >>

Since my regular Cardinals team sets are my main focus, the autographs have been sort of secondary. But since I am at a standstill on finding some of the rarer Topps inserts and test issues, I have been focusing a little bit more on the missing autographs. I still have a long ways to go on completion. I think I only need three or four from 1960.

Shane

edited April 28, 2018 8:08AM
    This Coleman means that I have every Topps Vince Coleman in a Cardinals uniform signed. He was my favorite player growing up.

The Rich Allen is a tough one.

This make the total signatures rise to 1,076.

Cardinals_Autographs_314

Shane

• Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Allen is really nice, great additions!
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the new additions Shane.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Coleman was my favorite growing up and got to meet him a couple of years ago at Tahoe. Surreal meeting my childhood hero years after the luster of him had worn off...lol.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    edited April 28, 2018 8:08AM
    It's been a while, but I've added 2 more. Not really tough, but I didn't have them. They are tough TTM, but not on Ebay.

This makes the total jump to 1,078.

Cardinals_Autographs_315

Shane

edited April 28, 2018 8:09AM
    Not earth shattering, but here is 1,079. Ted Simmons is not the easiest auto in the world to get, however.

Cardinals_Autographs_316

Shane

• Mdube16Mdube16 Posts: 744 ✭✭
    do you need any mid or early 80s? Great collection
    Thanks.

I do need some from every decade. PM sent.

Shane

edited April 28, 2018 8:09AM
    Just added 11 new ones today to bring the total to 1,090.

I especially like the Allen Craig. The guy is a super ball player and this is his rookie card.

Cardinals_Autographs_317

Cardinals_Autographs_318

Shane

Nice additions ... love to see you adding to the collection.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    edited October 15, 2022 2:10PM
    Darrell Porter died in 2002. Just got my first one of him to add to my collection.

I got this one from Mark (aka mdube16).

This makes the total rise to 1,091.

By the way, Romans 10:9 says - That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Cardinals_Autographs_319

Shane

• You autograph hound!!

Autograph Hound

<< <i>You autograph hound!!

Autograph Hound >>

That's not very realistic....Mickey Rooney is shorter than Donald Duck!!!

I enjoyed that! Gotta love vintage cartoons! Nothing beats Bugs Bunny, though!

Shane

edited April 28, 2018 8:10AM
    Larry Jackson died in 1990, so his signature is fairly tough. Lindy McDaniel can be gotten via TTM, but I never had any luck.

Now, I only need 2 more to have the 1960 Topps set completed. I still need Carl Sawatski and Leon Wagner to finish it.

(Edited to say: I thought I only needed 2. I was mistaken. I overlooked a few. I still need Ron Kline, Dick Ricketts, Curt Flood, Leon Wagner, and Carl Sawatski for a total of 5.)

The total is now 1,093.

Cardinals_Autographs_320

Shane

Shane ... two nice additions.

Do you need:

1961 Topps Lawrence Jackson/ Lindy McDaniel #75(?)

I MAY have it somewhere. It's signed only by Lindy IIRC.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

I thought I had that one, but I just checked and I do not. How much?

Shane

• Beautiful Collection. I especially like the League leader card with auto Ted Simmons with the cather of the 70s decade Manny Sanguillen beside him!image

<< <i>I thought I had that one, but I just checked and I do not. How much? >>

M. Shane ... still at the "St Rt 1820" address?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

<< <i>

M. Shane ... still at the "St Rt 1820" address? >>

That would be correct. What do I owe you for it?

Shane

<< <i>

<< <i>

That would be correct. What do I owe you for it? >>

Enjoy the card. Pay it Forward!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

That would be correct. What do I owe you for it? >>

Enjoy the card. Pay it Forward! >>

I certainly will. Thanks so much, Doug!

Shane

edited April 28, 2018 8:11AM
    Here is number 1,094, courtesy of Doug (Dboneesq).

Very nice, bold signature from Lindy. Thanks so much, Doug!

Cardinals_Autographs_321

Shane

edited April 30, 2022 6:40AM
    This group here raises the total to 1,105.

Just got this bunch off of Ebay. These were some that I was not able to get TTM.

Edited to say on 4/30/33 - Sometime back I realized that the 2008 Topps Update Chris Perez was a gold version (gold lettering for his name at the bottom). I replaced it with a regular version in 2022.

Cardinals_Autographs_322

Cardinals_Autographs_323

Shane

edited April 28, 2018 8:12AM
    For those of you that follow baseball closely or those of you that follow the Cardinals at all, you know that Matt Adams really heated up in September. In only 289 at bats this season, he has hit 17 HR's as a rookie. Look for this guy to be a major power hitter for years to come. I picked up his signed rookie for 10 bucks on Ebay.

This makes the total 1,106.

Cardinals_Autographs_324

Shane

Congrats Shane ... I think it's time to send 'em in to get slabbed ... what's another $12,000.00 or so! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I love this thread, go Birds! Hopefully we can get homefield this weekend from the Bravos!
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

<< <i>Congrats Shane ... I think it's time to send 'em in to get slabbed ... what's another $12,000.00 or so! LOL >>

Good one! I think I'll just be satisfied with my albums!

Shane

edited April 28, 2018 8:13AM
    This 1967 Topps Curt Flood raises the total to 1,107.

Cardinals_Autographs_325

Edited to say that I have taken out 5 signatures from my collection (1956 Mizell, 1965 White, 1970 Shannon, 1983 Hendrick, 2005 Mulder). I just didn't like the looks of them. I have lowered my total to 1,102.

Edited to say that on 1/13/18, I discovered that I did not update my totals when I sold my 1968 Topps Signed Roger Maris. I can't believe I did that. I sold it for $480 on 8/1/14. I think I needed the money pretty bad and had to sell it. I just forgot to update the totals. I am not going to go back and edit every post. I am just going to copy this note on a post from 1/13/18 and carry on with the right total from there. I also think it is strange that I didn't have a single post in this thread for over 11 months. Checked and took a hiatus from buying any.

Shane

edited April 28, 2018 8:19AM
    These are a few that I have come across fairly recently. These are some that I already had, but I like these better, so these are replacements for previous ones. These cards here will not add to the total.

Cardinals_Autographs_326

Shane