Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Topps Cardinals Autograph Collection (1952 - 1961 Topps totally complete!)

Comments

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 8, 2022 9:52AM
    He played in all of 23 games with 26 plate appearances in 2001. He had a grand total of 1 RBI in his career. But, that's 1 more RBI than I had.

Ladies and gentlemen, introducing autograph number 940, Stubby Clapp!

Cardinals-Autographs-276

Shane

• Options
    That is a huge number and it just keeps growing. Beautiful collection image
  • Options
    Amazing collection you have built Shane. Makes me want to tackle the Royals. That would seem a fairly easy goal when compared to other teams. It's not a really old team, and whenever anyone does really well, we get rid of them.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Shane, do you have any of these? They are 1976 Michael Schechter Associates Discs (PSA grades them). The Kessinger is an Isaly's.

I just recently picked them up:
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Nice discs. I don't even have those for my team sets. My autograph collection is limited to Topps only. That way I can stay focused. For my team sets, I think I have a 1977 Burger Chef disc set, but I don't have those.

Shane

• Options
    Oh well ... thought I was going to be able to help you out with 5 new ones ... maybe next time! Good Luck!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2018 7:44AM
    Just made a trade and got these 2 in the mail today. This makes the total rise to 942.

Cardinals_Autographs_277

Shane

• Options
    edited April 28, 2018 7:44AM
    Just got this from a reputable Ebayer. This one looks good. This is really ironic that the morning after their 11th World Series title, I am posting Colby Rasmus who was traded for 3 pitchers who really helped them get there. This raises the total to 943.

Cardinals_Autographs_278

Shane

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad that Colby wanted his way out of town. I unlike many people on the forums and nationally, thought it was a decent trade for the Cardinals at the time. I think we could have got more for him last off season but I would not want to trade Shelby Miller or any of our prospects at the moment for help at this years deadline. In my opinion we only had Colby for three years in which he was able to go to arbitration (rising salary and would not be a core player in the future to build around) and getting draft picks for Edwin Jackson at the end of the season, Scrabble for five more years, and having Dotel for the rest of the season and to have them take back salary and dead weight in Miller and Tallet was a nice coup for him at the time of the trade especially when the Cards had Jay, Patterson, and Schu able to play center. Totally justified today and the Cards still have Miller and Carlos Martinez, Taveras, Cox, etc. World Series Champs in 2011, great job Mo (GM).
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

<< <i>I'm glad that Colby wanted his way out of town. I unlike many people on the forums and nationally, thought it was a decent trade for the Cardinals at the time. I think we could have got more for him last off season but I would not want to trade Shelby Miller or any of our prospects at the moment for help at this years deadline. In my opinion we only had Colby for three years in which he was able to go to arbitration (rising salary and would not be a core player in the future to build around) and getting draft picks for Edwin Jackson at the end of the season, Scrabble for five more years, and having Dotel for the rest of the season and to have them take back salary and dead weight in Miller and Tallet was a nice coup for him at the time of the trade especially when the Cards had Jay, Patterson, and Schu able to play center. Totally justified today and the Cards still have Miller and Carlos Martinez, Taveras, Cox, etc. World Series Champs in 2011, great job Mo (GM). >>

I agree 100%. I liked the trade when it happened, not just in retrospect. I am one that thinks Colby Rasmus will never live up to his potential. He will be a J.D. Drew type of player except more healthy. Drew never did live up to his potential.

Shane

• Options
    edited April 28, 2018 7:45AM
    Here is another Vince Coleman. I now only need a 1989 Topps to have a complete run. This raises the total to 944.

Cardinals_Autographs_279

Shane

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome. Unbelievable grouping of stuff...I have really enjoyed surfing the thread. Keep up the good work.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Shane,

Congrats on your latest Vince Coleman and a BIG CONGRATS on your Cardinals representing the senior circuit well this year!!! image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2022 7:01PM
    I just made a trade with a fellow collector and am able to add 12 cards to my collection.

Andujar and Hendrick are impossible TTM. Jones, Magrane, Cox, Guerrero, Pena, Zeile, and Pappas are all fairly tough.

That raises the total to 956. I think 1,000 is reachable.

Edited to say that this was a trade with medic-34 SCN.

Cardinals_Autographs_280

Cardinals_Autographs_281

Shane

• Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    Wow, Shane. That is an incredible collection!

Best of luck!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2018 7:46AM
    Well, I just reached a number that I never thought I would reach. I am now at 1,001 Cardinals signatures on Topps cards. I just recently bought a bunch from Mickey's Sportscards. Without even planning it, it put me over the hump.

Almost all of these are on the tough side. They are either tough to get TTM or impossible. All are pictured below. Some notables are -

1952 Topps Billy Johnson (deceased 2006)
    1957 Topps Del Ennis (deceased 1996)
    1986 Topps Vince Coleman RC (got for $3.00 !)
    1986 Topps Jack Clark
    1986 Topps Willie McGee

Cardinals_Autographs_282

Cardinals_Autographs_283

Cardinals_Autographs_284

Cardinals_Autographs_285

Cardinals_Autographs_286

Cardinals_Autographs_287

Shane

• Options
    Hey Shane,

Congrats on hitting another milestone. 1,001 and counting. image

As a New Yorker, I'm partial to Pete Falcone. Great job!!!

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2018 7:47AM
    Well, today I got a very nice surprise in the mail. After 1,312 (that's ONE THOUSAND THREE HUNDRED AND TWELVE) days, I got these 2 signed cards in the mail. I sent these cards out on July 29, 2008.

As a side note, I had already acquired a 1974 Topps Alan Foster back in January of 2011, so I only get to add 1 to my count for a total of 1,002. However, I will keep this newer one in my collection because it is a darker signature. I think it is actually neat that guys still sign in ink pen. I like ink pen signatures on vintage cards.

Cardinals_Autographs_288

Shane

• Options
    It is amazing how they somehow show up after being out for years. Makes you think it got misplaced somehow.

Congrats on moving on to the next 1,000 Shane!!! image

Collecting:
  • Options
    Shane ... nice surprise! Congrats. Keep it up.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    edited April 28, 2018 7:49AM
    Just showing some recent pickups. These 7 makes the total climb to 1,009.

Cardinals_Autographs_289

Shane

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Shane - all I can think is Incredible!

Mike
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a focal point to your collection?
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Is there a focal point to your collection? >>

My focal point would be - Topps base Cardinals autographs! image

Shane

• Options
    WTG Shane. That's a nice increase. Tough to get that many additions when you are over 1,000.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Thanks. I still look for ones that I don't have. It usually comes down to one of two things - either I have it, or the ones I don't have are priced pretty high. Occasionally, I will find one that I don't have that is fairly inexpensive, OR I will occasionally bite the bullet and spend a little more money.

Shane

• Options
    edited April 28, 2018 7:50AM
    Here is 1,010. This is my first Steve Carlton.

Cardinals_Autographs_290

Shane

• Options
    Those look amazing. Congrats.
  • Options
    Hey Shane, way to go on picking up your first Carlton. 1,010 has nice symmetry to it. image

Collecting:
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2018 7:50AM
    Well, the symmetry is messed up now. This high number 1972 Topps Jim Maloney raises the total to 1,011.

Now, I only need 3 cards to have a complete 1972 Topps team set signed. I still need Joe Torre, Joe Hague, and Donn Clendenon.

Cardinals_Autographs_291

Shane

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, the symmetry is messed up now. This high number 1972 Topps Jim Maloney raises the total to 1,011.

Now, I only need 3 cards to have a complete 1972 Topps team set signed. I still need Joe Torre, Joe Hague, and Donn Clendenon.

image >>

don't count on Clendenon signing anytime soon.

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Yep. Died in 2005. Plus, his 1972 Topps is a high number. It's going to be a tough one.

Shane

• Options
    edited November 26, 2022 4:52PM
    If you are not into autographs, you might not appreciate this post. However, if you have ever collected autographs, you just might appreciate how tough some of these cards are that are pictured below. I would have to say that this is the best haul I've had in a long time - maybe ever for this collection.

Almost every one of these have been deceased for a long time. The best part is, I don't have anything in these. I will spare you the details, but these came with a collection I purchased that has came to me in waves, and these were part of the latest group.

The 1977 Topps Lou Brock is a duplicate, but I like this signature better than my previous one, so this one is going in my collection. I am not counting it towards my count, though since I have already counted to first one.

These 25 cards make the total rise to 1,036.

Here are some details about these -

1953 Topps Mike Clark (died 1996; very rare signature)
    1953 Topps Willard Schmidt (died 2007)
    1954 Topps Eddie Stanky (died 1999)
    1954 Topps John Riddle (died 1998)
    1955 Topps Eddie Stanky (died 1999)
    1955 Topps Johnny Riddle (died 1998)
    1955 Topps Frank Smith (died 2005)
    1956 Topps Wilmer Mizell (died 1999)
    1956 Topps Willard Schmidt (died 2007)
    1957 Topps Tom Cheney (died 2001)
    1959 Topps Bob Miller (died 1993)
    1959 Topps Gene Oliver (died 2007)
    1960 Topps Bob Keegan (died 2001)
    1960 Topps Bob Miller (died 1993)
    1961 Topps Ron Kline (died 2002)
    1966 Topps Bob Uecker (HOF) (replaced with blue ball point pen later)
    1967 Topps Nelson Briles (died 2005)
    1969 Topps Lou Brock AS (HOF)
    1972 Topps Joe Hague (died 1994)
    1972 Topps Joe Torre boyhood
    1973 Topps Joe Torre
    1977 Topps Lou Brock (HOF)
    1982 Topps Julio Gonzalez (tough)
    1982 Topps Bruce Sutter AS (HOF)
    1982 Topps Keith Hernandez Team Leaders (tough)
    1984 Topps Bruce Sutter LL (HOF)

Cardinals_Autographs_292

Cardinals_Autographs_293

Cardinals_Autographs_294

Cardinals_Autographs_295

Shane

• Options

Shane

• Options
    AWESOME additions Shane. Congrats!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    edited April 28, 2018 7:52AM
    Added this 1972 Topps Joe Torre this week. Now, all I need is a Donn Clendenon and I will have the team set. This raises the total to 1,037.

Edited to say - On 10/14/17, as I was changing picture hosting sites from Photobucket to Postimage, I discovered that I did not count this 1972 Topps Torre. I changed all following posts to reflect correct number (by adding one).

Cardinals_Autographs_296

Shane

• Options
    edited April 28, 2018 7:53AM
    This is probably the best haul in one day that I have had since I started this project. Back a couple of years ago, I bought a large autograph collection to resell along with a partner. It is a very long story, but the bottom line is that I finally get some of the best ones. In other words, these have long since been paid for.

By the way - I absolutely love the "vintage-ness" of a ball point pen signature on a vintage card. These were signed years ago.

1960 Topps Stan Musial - needs no explanation.

1960 Topps Ken Boyer - He died in 1982 and his auto routinely sells for over $100.

1962 Topps Stan Musial - again, needs no explanation.

1975 Topps Bob Gibon - shall I say it a third time?

1953 Topps Dixie Walker - He died in 1982 also and is a tough auto.

1955 Topps Gordon Jones - He died in 1994 and is a tough auto. (I already had this card, but it had tape on it. This one does not add to my total. I will sell my other one.)

1958 Topps Joe Taylor - He died in 1993 and is a tough auto.

1961 Topps Power For Ernie - Signed by all three. I have one already, but is missing the White signature. I will sell the other one. This one only adds one to the total.

1961 Topps Bob Nieman - He died in 1985 and is a fairly tough auto.

1969 Topps Joe Torre - I have gotten him through the mail, but no vintage ones.

1969 Topps Joe Hoerner - He died in 1996 and is a fairly tough auto.

1974 Topps Joe Torre

1976 Topps Lynn McGlothen - He died in 1984 and is a fairly tough auto.

1977 Topps Lynn McGlothen - see above.

1979 Topps Pete Vuckovich - Very, very tough modern signature.

All of this adds 14 to the total raising it to 1,052 signatures on Topps cards.

Cardinals_Autographs_297

Cardinals_Autographs_298

Shane

• Options
    AMAZING that you could add so many at one time - considering how many you already have. CONGRATS!!!

Just curious if you get your autos slabbed. If not, do you know that much about the Cardinals players to know which autos are good? I know a 3rd party grader is just an opinion, but they are a lot more knowledgeable than I am.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    awesome group congrats!
  • Options

<< <i>AMAZING that you could add so many at one time - considering how many you already have. CONGRATS!!!

Just curious if you get your autos slabbed. If not, do you know that much about the Cardinals players to know which autos are good? I know a 3rd party grader is just an opinion, but they are a lot more knowledgeable than I am. >>

I do not get them slabbed. If I get one that is slabbed, I bust it out and put it in my album. Most of mine are TTM. The tougher ones though I am pretty familiar with. These that I just posted are rock solid. Plus, the source of the autos help. They come from an extensive autograph collection. I am not the slightest bit concerned about the authenticity of these.

Shane

• Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Awesome additions image
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff Shane!
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options

<< <i>I would MUCH rather have an original Topps card signed that something manufactured this year. >>

+1,000,000!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    I really think that cards like those 2 Musials are the most undervalued cards in the hobby. If you look at Ebay, you will see all kinds of modern, pack pulled cards that sell for outrageous prices. I would MUCH rather have an original Topps card signed than something manufactured this year. I would also much rather have a vintage ink signature than a sharpie, especially if the ink signature is bold.

I think this is ridiculous -

Heritage Auto

vs

Original

Shane

• Options
    edited April 28, 2018 7:55AM
    Just added kind of a tough one. Wilmer "Vinegar Bend" Mizell died in 1999. Picked this one up for a song.

This makes the total come to 1,053.

Cardinals_Autographs_299

Shane

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I have always liked that card Shane, but my Dad, who died in 1987, always disliked Wilmer because inevitably whenever he took me to a Cardinals game it always seemed he was the pitcher, and every time seemed to pitch a terrible game. Whenever I see one of his cards I have fond memories of my Dad. Wilmer went on to serve a couple of terms in Congress representing North Carolina.

Have you been to Vinegar Bend Alabama, population 192 ( 2010) ? It is close to Chatom, Alabama image
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

<< <i>I have always liked that card Shane, but my Dad, who died in 1987, always disliked Wilmer because inevitably whenever he took me to a Cardinals game it always seemed he was the pitcher, and every time seemed to pitch a terrible game. Whenever I see one of his cards I have fond memories of my Dad. Wilmer went on to serve a couple of terms in Congress representing North Carolina.

Have you been to Vinegar Bend Alabama, population 192 ( 2010) ? It is close to Chatom, Alabama image >>

Interesting. I had forgotten about Mizell serving in Congress. I remember reading that a while back. Never been to Vinegar Bend. Very nice story about about your dad!

Shane

• Options
    Shane ... ALWAYS nice to see you pick up another one.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    How many are possible?
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

<< <i>How many are possible? >>

I haven't counted. I really don't have a checklist to know which ones I still need. I know I need a bunch and it will be ongoing for years. I would love to pick up just one 1952 Topps high number.

Shane